Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: What car should i build ??

Post Thanks / Like

What car should i build ??

I am new to the FFforum and am questioning which car to build. I received the FF PR packet and have watched the DVD. I am greatly impressed!! The company has great energy, experience and dedication to their product. I have limited car experience beyond changing oil, rotating tires, installing a hitch, and replacing radio / speakers when it comes to cars. I.e. how much detailed knowledge of engine, drive train, electrical, body work etc needed for building these cars? Are the instructions and parts organized in such a way that even an unskilled or slightly skilled person can build one of these cars? I am looking for a kit car project and building one of these cars looks like it would be a good challenge and rewarding in the end, but I don't want to get in over my head. That being said, what is the skill level and cost required to build each model that FF offers? I see the partial and total kit costs, but am looking for best estimate of total completion costs. It was suggested by FF's Dave Brigham's recent email response my questions to join the forum, and start with an 818 and then work up to the more difficult GTM model if desired, but do not start with a GTM. I am curious from individuals who have attended the build course on how much take home knowledge is gain from 3 day build course? Would they do it again if they could? I am looking forward to general feedback from company reps, experienced and novice builders on what to build. I am planning to dedicate time and money to build a car and would like to get it right. Are there any NCAL factory five car builders or owners that might be willing to show me there finished or unfinished car?

What are the different builder skill levels & cost differences for:

818c

65 Coupe

Mk4 Roadster

GTM supercar

289 USRRC Roadster

33 Hot Rod

35 Hot Rod Truck

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, here's a thread that could answer some of your questions. You'll find that the members here are very knowledgeable and willing to help you out.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ng-10-FFR-kits

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The MK-4 is by far the easiest to build, especially if you do a SBF with a TKO or T-5 Transmission and 3 Link Rear.
    Also, watch the assembly videos, all of them, and then get the manual and read 3 or 4 times.
    If you still don't feel comfortable, go to The Build School and swing some wrenches.

https://youtu.be/NnJdjMKDC_g?list=PL...VS-CVcPoK4x6lB

https://youtu.be/MKsh3yTzGYA

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-13-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with GoDad. Maybe consider going to Build School for the Roadster or 33 Hot Rod? The instructors know the FFRs and can provide a great deal of insight into the the various models. I started with the Roadster as I've always loved the AC Cobra. Now, I see a 35 truck as my next build in about 5 years. My wife built the Roadster with me and she is looking to build a 33 Hot Rod probably in 2 to 3 years. No matter the model they are all great fun and with FFR you know you have quality and a solid company behind you!
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The roadsters are most refined and "easiest". The Coupe, '33 and pickup are at the same level of difficulty mechanically but offer some different challenges with body fitting. Can't speak for the 818 since I have never laid hands on one. The GTM is at an entirely different level---to quote some who have built everything FFR offers "by an order of magnitude".

Jeff

6. Likes i.e.427 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You could also have one of the Factory Five Preferred Builders build you a car and you could have a level of build involvement in your project. Not all Pro builder do it this way but there are a couple of us that would. I'm assuming that NCAL means Northern California?

Frank

8. Likes DANW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the Build School for the roadster last year. The course was very informative in the fact that you see every part of a build. (Except paint and body work.) You see the panels drilled and installed, suspension installed, wiring and gauges connected, tubing laid out and attached, drive train installed, etc. If you look at each of the steps as do-able your "skill level" shouldn't be an issue. Only you can make that determination.
    When I attended there was also a 33 hot rod and an 818 for us to check out. That also might help you with your decisions.
    Plus, you get a chance to brainstorm with the other students and ask the instructors some of your questions - they are quite helpful.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    With limited expertise perhaps you should be looking for one already built. You'll likely spend less money on a built car than one you build yourself, be able to use it immediately, and there is plenty you can work on to personalize it. If you are particularly attracted to a model that folks say is hard to build, buying one already built is a way to get around that.

If you're just dead-set on rollin' your own, pick a model and buy the manual. Read the manual and visualize how you would go about performing all the steps and you will quickly get a good idea if this is for you. The manual is a minimum investment. Attending build school is also a good way to evaluate if this is something you think you could do but the cost of attending may be more expensive than purchasing a manual.

Purchasing a kit, the builder supplied parts, and the support equipment necessary to build a car is a substantial investment and you want the end result to be worth it. If you get in over your head you will be forced to choose between paying a professional builder to finish the car or put it up for sale partially assembled and hope you can recover most of what you've invested. Choose wisely...
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, all good advice. Now, forget all that.

Building one of these cars is a labor of love. You have to want to do it. Which car makes you suck in your breath and say, "oh, baby"? Which one do you envision yourself driving? Which one puts a smile on your face and a bulge in your pants? Build that one.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

12. Likes FF33rod, AZPete liked this post