Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body panel storage

Post Thanks / Like

Body panel storage

I searched and couldn’t find but anyone store there body panels by hanging from the ceiling and if so is there any concerns about how? New to body work.

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage ceiling is too low to hang any panels, so used part of a friends garage they were not using. I stored the panels as flat as I could so their shape would not be affected too much. I kept the windshield behind bags of bubble wrap so it would not get broken. I know some people have hung the windshields from ceiling.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll find some guys have tied them to the ceiling. Worked out pretty well as far as I can tell, but the larger parts like the coupe top are generally set on a 2x4 scaffold before being hoisted up. As for the windshield, if you choose to hang it in the frame as it comes, there is only duct tape securing it and moderate heat will soften the adhesive. AZPete came home to find his windshield have dangling from the frame (hung on the wall) and half resting on the floor. Apparently the tape failed slowly enough that the windshield didn't have any damage, but it isn't guaranteed. I took his advice and stored mine on a shelf. Sure enough, the windshield slid down and came to rest on the shelf with the frame instead of IN the frame. We live in the Phoenix desert where it routinely cracks 120 in the summer, so YMMV but I grew up around Tampa and the temperature aint no slouch out there, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses, it sounds like I don't have to worry about the panels deforming from hanging incorrectly. Windshield roof not an issue because it is an R model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly as Turbemacncheese said, my windshield glass slid out. I see you have an R, but for other guys this is a good warning.
    (Thanks, Tony for catching this since I'm out of the country for April.)
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Exactly as Turbemacncheese said, my windshield glass slid out. I see you have an R, but for other guys this is a good warning.
    (Thanks, Tony for catching this since I'm out of the country for April.)
    Yeah Yeah, jetsetting like a PROPER retiree

Post Thanks / Like
    My solution.
    storage2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I did. Bungees so there wasn’t any stress on the parts, they are “free-floating” to minimize warpage.

C2589BE9-3994-465D-ACC0-9C85D2CF2912.jpgF89AC2C5-0CB6-41F1-A4B9-0BA18224F7ED.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images