Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  83
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruces Chopped 35

Post Thanks / Like
    Got all the doors and side frames cut and glassed. Now just a bunch of grinding, filling and blocking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    It gives it a whole different look but I'll tell you...I have probably 40 hours in just cutting and glassing. Haven't even got to final shaping and body work yet. I think it will be well worth it when done but I'm pretty worn out! Just wanted to make it a little different than all the rest

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the desire for something a bit unique! looks great so far, it will definitely be worth it...
    Keep at it
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the "port hole" rear window cut out. Roughed in new flush mount frame. Have all the heavy glass work done so think I'll clean the shop and work on the chassis for a while. My transmission came in so maybe get the engine and trans installed to see what customization that requires.

7-6-19 1.jpg7-6-19 2.jpg7-6-19 3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Been slacking a little bit. Had so much rain here its been hard to keep the pastures cut down Got most of the rough glass work done and ready to start final sanding and filling. Got the brake lines run. Engine and trans installed. Had to cut a bunch of bushings to get the engine in place. Have like 1/4" clearance between front pulleys and steering rack and transmission and frame!
    I started with the supplied hard line for the brakes but did not like how it looked and ended up going to Summit and getting 3 AN braided lines for the brakes. Looks much cleaner IMO. Started running gas lines but think I'll go the same route. Braided lines with bulkhead fittings feeding the EFI regulator to keep the firewall clean. Picked up some Hooker side pipes to see how they fit. I'm going for it

chopped 4 7-15-2019.jpgchopped 2 7-15-2019.jpg

6. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is looking fantastic! Mine should arrive first week of August. Thanks for the motivation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got all the "chopped" body work done. Wanted to be sure all door and window frame was flush with body before I took the cab off and started filling all the body seems. Everything came out pretty good. No excessive filler needed to finish the joints. Ive been blocking and glassing low spots all week. Most are 1/16 or less filler.

I had a hell of a time getting the bottom rear door flush with body. Ended up re drilling holes for the inside frame and basically "twisting the door" to get it flush. Anybody else having these issues? How did you correct?
    Looking at some of the early pictures it looks like they had same problem.

7-21 1.jpg7-21-2.jpg7-21-3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, the truck is looking great and I think the chop is needed to correct the look. On your brake lines, are you running braided lines for the main lines also? If so that isn't recommended because of flex and expansion.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    I had a hell of a time getting the bottom rear door flush with body. Ended up re drilling holes for the inside frame and basically "twisting the door" to get it flush. Anybody else having these issues? How did you correct?
    Looking at some of the early pictures it looks like they had same problem.
    I'm looking at the same issue with the doors right now- ugh..

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issue. What I tried was to loosen the crash beam from the latch bracket twist the door where it needs to go and re tighten everything.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Truck looks awesome, the issue you are having with the doors is not uncommon. This fix is exactly as you have done and others have stated as well.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like

Steering HELP!

Can anyone help me? Ive had my steering rods/knuckles apart 5 or 6 times now trying to get smooth rotation from left to right and vise versa. I have "hard spot's every 180 degree. I talked to FFR today and they said I had some shafts to long somewhere. But I look and all are ether flush or in from end a bit. That angle from the firewall down is pretty sever and it seems to be at that point. I think... Anyone have any words of wisdom? Or is this just the way it is and I'm worrying to much?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an issue like this and found I had the wrong set screw in the bearing going through the firewall. It must be the short one they provide.
    2008 FFR 5851 Copperhead Orange with ghost stripes by “the Bat”, Ford Racing 345 HP, Tremec 5 Speed
    2012 FFR 33 HR, won Best Use of Chrome Huntington Beach 2014; 345 HP AOD
    Deep Impact Blue
    2018 FFR 35 Pick Up, building, getting there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    I had an issue like this and found I had the wrong set screw in the bearing going through the firewall. It must be the short one they provide.
    Thanks Marv. I have the short one in there. Cant see it binding anywhere

Post Thanks / Like
    Got all the body work completed on the cab and doors. Disassembled the doors and prepped for primer. have a little more hand sanding to do and hopefully get cab and doors in primer tomorrow evening.... If it cools down enough! I hate taking everything apart. Looks like I'm just starting again!

Post Thanks / Like
    looking good !

Post Thanks / Like
    So finally got the cab and doors in primer! Had to wait for the sun to go down due to heat wave I cant express how good it feels to have all that glass cutting, grinding, blocking behind me! Still have some cowl work to do but need to have the cab and grill on and hood in position to go forward with that. Another day..... Now waiting on electric steering, under floor aluminum, rear brake calipers ET..ET... Kind of at a stand still till I get those. I'll just keep blocking and priming Good news is I got the windshield and door glass cut and came out perfect

7-30-19 1.jpg7-30-19 2.jpg7-30-19 3.jpg7-30-19 4.jpg7-30-19 5.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic Bruce!

Great Job!
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Got all the body work blocked and primed. I was a little worried ...been about 40 years sense Ive attempted something this level of difficulty. Came out great! Guess its like riding a bike Now just a bunch of priming and blocking... priming and blocking... et et. Got all the gas lines and brake lines completed. Waiting on a bunch of back ordered parts so cant install grill or radiator and steering is gona be a ***** with engine installed. Getting a little frustrated with the back orders! keep getting this week....this week...this week....

8-5-2019 2.jpg8-5-2019 1.jpg8-5-2019 3.jpg

21. Likes CVOBill, ztoolman44, AJT '33 liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It Really Looks Great So I Now Totally Get Why You Did The Chop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Nice job

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't made a lot of progress. Started installing AC and heater. Started putting in as in manual but didn't like the clutter in the engine bay. Moved the Evaporator over to middle of dash area and installed heater valve and drier over on right above bulkhead fittings. Made the vent to defrost a little tight but nothing to frustrating. Plenty of space between the dash gauges and Evaporator for wiring. Comes out tight but like the outcome.

Still cant finish a bunch of stuff. Waiting on condenser and brackets, rear brake calipers, elect steering.

8-17-19 1.jpg8-17-19 6.jpg8-17-19 5.jpg

25. Likes ztoolman44, AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks amazing. I am thinking of using the Vintage air bulkhead and not the separate bulkheads with the kit. Good on A/c unit to center. I hated the heater valve out in the open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sperger72 View Post
    Looks amazing. I am thinking of using the Vintage air bulkhead and not the separate bulkheads with the kit. Good on A/c unit to center. I hated the heater valve out in the open.
    Good idea. I wish I would have done that. Another thing one might consider if moving to under dash is changing from 4 port heater valve to two port. It was a challenge to get everything in a location that would not kink the heater hoses running from the evaporator to valve to bulkhead. Had to use a couple 90 degree elbows and move things around a couple times. Vintage says they use only two port valves on all their systems. Not sure why FFR went to the 4 port.

28. Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered my Vintage Air square bulkhead fitting for A/C and heater hoses

Post Thanks / Like

Its Alive!

Been slacking a bit. Was a bit concerned about wiring up the EFI and getting all the sending units right. Haven't had much experience with this aspect of build. Gave up on trying to get help...Everyone was 2-3 weeks out! So spent a lot of time reading and searching you-tube. Temp wired everything to get a feel of what needs to go where and BOOM! fired right up and all sending units reading appropriately! Spent the day going back and routing everything and cleaning up. Wheeew....I was seriously doubting my ability to accomplish this but seems pretty straight forward after a ton of diagram research On to the next Man you gotta love the throttle response with the Holley Sniper. What a difference from a 4 barrel!

PS: Trying to figure out how to load video

Post Thanks / Like
    Got all the wiring ran and painted Dash. Still have a lot of Interior work to do. Need Trans control and shifter before i can finish trans tunnel and interior. Drained the bank account so be a couple weeks been a while sense Ive painted and used the new paints. Pretty brutal hand rubbing urethane!

32. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So started to fit my hood and cowl a while back. Finally got all the back ordered parts so going to get to work on finishing it. I was able to get it close to level but cant get it perfect so figured what the heck. Ive hacked up everything else on the body and this way I can set the radiator to where it best fits everything else.

Cut the cowl across the sides and along the curve on top so I can angle it up to match the hood. Going to do some other mods as well but hard to explain so I'll just post pictures as I get it done. Wont be hard to glass back together and I'll be happy with it.

hood 2.jpghood 1.jpghood 3.jpghood 4.jpghood 5.jpg

34. Likes FF33rod, Chris Wingardh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    wHERE did you find the sending unit information? What goes where?

ZAch

36. Thanks BryceJ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry. thought you had Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. 430HP 383 stroker

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the cowl and hood aligned and glassed. Came out really good. And solved the hood clearance problem with SBC's. Lifted the front of hood up about 1" which gave it clearance for the air cleaner! (all by accident). Little more grinding and body work and will be dead flat from grill to windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look awesome. Come on to East Texas and do cowl and hood....
    Last edited by sperger72; 09-13-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look awesome. Com on to East Texas and do cowl and hood....
    See what ya think after you get it all mounted. If your as disappointed as I was with how it fit give me a shout and see what we can do. Sent you PM with contact info a while back.

42. Thanks Royteamcobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks fantastic, very impressive!
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Started my mods on the sides. Wanted to run hood without side panels but wanted it to look like it was designed like that. Without the side indents for the side panels. Proving to be a little more labor intensive then I thought but will work out.

mod 1.jpgmod 2.jpgmod 3.jpgmod 4.jpg

45. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Send Pm again, did not receive it please Sir

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea. Will look better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bnelson,

What is your distance to ground from bottom of grill? Mine is insanely low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bnelson,

What is your distance to ground from bottom of grill? Mine is insanely low.
    Working on it now but looks like about 2 3/4" I'm taking to Nth TX Rod & Custom to set ride height and set up suspension probably next month. Hope to get up to 3.5" min but not sure how much we can get.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast