Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  83
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruces Chopped 35

Post Thanks / Like

Bruces Chopped 35

So FINALLY got my truck ordered Friday!

Closest thing to what I am envisioning would be the Black Label truck with hood and without side panels. Plan to chop 2"-3". Will need to wait and measure to see whats feasible. Will do some mods to the hood to make it curve into the body and front shroud. Fill in the remaining indents for the side panels. Also thinking about re framing the rear window so it is flush mount like the windshield as opposed to the traditional porthole window. SBC 427 Stroker with 4L65E.

Will post some pictures as I start cutting it up if I can figure out process.
    Can anyone point me to some instruction on the simplest method? I found some old postings but the method was pretty convoluted. Cant believe there isn't something more current that is a little easier?

Cant wait to get started! I have a lot of body/paint and some metal fab experience but have never attempted to do something like this. Should be an interesting challenge! Glad to have this forum to fall back on for guidance Wish me luck!

2. Likes Salty Chief 35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, I too have extensive body and paint experience and wouldn’t attempt this. I’m 6’1” and it’s a tight squeeze as it is. I couldn’t go any tighter. If your dead set on doing this you might want to consider going a bit further and modify the foot box area for more room. The windshield would need to be cut down the rear would be ok with a chop just below it and the roll bar would need a chop as well but no big deal there. Lots of work for not much pay off for me . The truck looks aesthetically great IMO. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input Rob. I'll just have to see when I get the kit and take some measurements. I'm just 5'7" 170lbs. Did some rendering with pictures of other trucks in a paint program and it really gives it a whole different look with just a few inches. Anyway the fun for me has always been to make things a little different and the challenge of figuring out how to do it!

Post Thanks / Like

chopped 35

Think I have the picture thing figured out. Before and after of what I'm thinking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Likes Houdini, JoelB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Think I have the picture thing figured out. Before and after of what I'm thinking.
    That does look better

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels & tires

Got my wheels painted and tires mounted. I went with US Wheels so called (ready to paint). If anyone thinking about these beware. I spent about 10 hours smoothing welds, filling pits, sanding and cleaning My girls picked this color for the bottom of truck. Told them I reserve the right to paint over it if it was to in your face. But have to say after putting paint on the wheels I'm kinda liking it. I made a blank white truck in paint and printed a bunch of them out so could play around with different colors. Lot of fun :

wheels 2.jpgwheels.jpgpaint.jpg

9. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Diggin the smoothies

Post Thanks / Like
    I like them Look a lot better in real life.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of doing the smoothies also, painted red or some other accent color ytd. Thinking blue body with white stripe and then red wheels and powder coating chassis red. But like I said ytd, haven't ordered truck yet, might be a couple years till that but no harm in dreaming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. Keep on dreaming! I Had been originally planing on the 33 and have been watching it for years. When I was finally in a position to pull the trigger this truck came out. Something different and cant wait to get it

Post Thanks / Like
    Well was planning on having suspension done and rolling over the three day weekend but Stewart truck broke down. Now saying 3-4 more weeks Spent extra time painting the new shop and putting in AC and TV. Shop dog waiting patiently...

shop3.jpgshop4 (2).jpg

15. Likes GoDadGo, shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like Stewart is still having issues. I went through the same thing at this exact time last year. Hang in there. Though I didn’t hang in there and chose to drive to Wareham from Minnesota.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh. I was happier in ignorance land. Now I’m sad. My delivery date from FFR was Saturday.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I was pretty bummed. I about got in my truck and drove up there but they said my 12ft flatbed wouldn't be big enough and said would not be ready till Wednesday to load. So would have had to rent tailor, drive 4200 miles and take four days off work Not really a choice. Sure wish there were some other options other than Stewart!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Well was planning on having suspension done and rolling over the three day weekend but Stewart truck broke down. Now saying 3-4 more weeks Spent extra time painting the new shop and putting in AC and TV. Shop dog waiting patiently...

shop3.jpgshop4 (2).jpg
    I got shop envy.

ss

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart says pick up on the 13th now. Ugh..... Got most of my engine parts in so could at least work on that. Made some wire looms out of 1/2 round. Have to look at them a while to see if I like them.

Engine (P).jpgwire looms (P).jpgewire looms b (P).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Shop and engine look great. While your waiting for Stewart epoxy the floor, so much easier to keep clean.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chevy, I am all for it !

Post Thanks / Like
    Well another weekend waiting. Got the floor epoxied and started building some cabinets and work benches. I'll finish up next weekend which hopefully will be the last one that its empty! Shop dog still waiting patiently. More than I can say for myself

Shop Cabinets.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got my truck! Got everything inventoried and organized. I put the seat in with 2" blocks in rear and 3" blocks in front to see about head room to chop. With the seat blocked I have over 8" head room so I'm going for it. have nine straight days off over the fourth so hope to get it rolling before then and can spend that nine days cutting and putting back together, I'm stoked!

my 35 unloading.jpgmy 35 1st day.jpg

25. Likes Straversi, CVOBill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so excited to watch your progress. You've got more courage than I do hacking away at the truck. Enjoy the 4th - it will be fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...I'm not real sure if its courage or stupidity!...But we are fixin to find out Challenges never attempted are challenges never achieved!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the delivery. Been waiting to see this come together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got all the front suspension parts painted Friday night and got up early to start putting together. Got the front and rear suspension put together. Went with the bottom holes in rear and top holes in front to give it a bit of a rake. Plus my rear tires are 27.5" and front are 25.5". Has quite a bit of clearance. Was thinking was going to be to low for side pipes but I think will work out.

my 35 6-22.jpgmy 35 6-22b.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the front brakes installed. (rear calipers on back order). Drilled and tapped firewall pieces. Jumped ahead to install doors and fix body in final place so I can get measurements to chop. Think I'll go 2.5". Drilled, cut, and tapped door hinges ( that was a whole lot of fun Shesssh)

my 35 6-23 B.jpghinges.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Those hinges are tough! Took me a long time to mill everything!

Those wheels just fit but man do they clean

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm past the point of no return. Got everything cut and fitted. Went pretty smooth and as planed on paper. Just hope all the rest go to plan once put back on frame and fastened down and fitting door back on! Wish me luck Going to rivet on temp braces tomorrow and start grinding and glassing back together.

chop.jpgchop3.jpgchop2.jpgchop1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    you’re a brave man, but I like where you’re heading. The pictures of the cab look awesome. Can’t wait to see the end result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Being 6’ 6” is great for pick-up basket ball and watching concerts. Not so good for airline seats or chop-tops. I’ll sit back and watch this one with amazement. It’s going to be awesome. Love the wheels too. Carry on.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. I guess short/tall all has advantages I just finished glassing back together. Put seat in and blocked 1.5" rear and 3" front. Still have 6" + head clearance. I almost wish I would have gone 3" but not going to change at this point! Shop dog's a ham Cant get him out of pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love it. Nice work.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    So if I missed it how much did you chop out of it? As well, did you need to add a bit at the door side to side cut?
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    2.5". Haven't done the doors yet but will need to cut out 2.5" on window frame as well and ad about 5/8" to the top of frame to stretch side to side as you say. I'll just use a piece of the cut out frame to fill it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took a break from grinding glass today. Still need to drill out temp braces and grind and glass in window frame areas and jambs. And of course need to re fit the doors to get them cut and laid out correctly. After getting everything else done I'm going to cut out rear window. Build and glass in flush mount frame for full window so I can keep as much visibility as possible. Had to go into Dallas to pick up transmission and worked on steering a little. Was to tired to mess with it last night but posted a few in progress pictures of hacking it up in case anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, a chop top 35. Going to be awesome! Can't wait to see it. Who's cutting your glass?

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a guy in Dallas (Deep Ellum) that dose for the local rod shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Careful where you park in Deep Ellum (#DRUMBEATS)
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's really assmue ! Now you got me thinking about chopping mine ! does seem to hard .great idea on the roof to make it fir the new size !
    Will you get new a windshield ? or how will you handle that ?
    Herb

Post Thanks / Like
    simply cut down 2.5 " Hopefully not a problem

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast