Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  83
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruces Chopped 35

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    What brand paint products you using?
    I would take a couple of weeks off also.
    Ralph

UreKem. Quality brand and Ive had good luck with them before using on painting motorcycle parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    The paint could have been agitated by the proximity of the Ford logo....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffShod View Post
    The paint could have been agitated by the proximity of the Ford logo....
    LOL...could be

Post Thanks / Like
    Might as well sand it down. Good Guys just cancelled....

Post Thanks / Like
    Might as well sand it down. Good Guys just cancelled....
    Yea And I couldn't stand it anyway. Was in the shop till 2AM striping back down and spraying new sealer. Will get some new color on it today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get it done hand!

Im still waitin on shocks and upper a-arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the quarters cut and buffed. Still have a bunch of hand work to do but was happy I was able to get out the couple runs I had and get it flat without going through the clear. learned a lot about urethane paints on these first parts!
    Not completely satisfied with the flatness on the glass panels. They were supper wavy before I started. Blocked four times progressively but still not like I would like them. Should have skim coated the entire quarter and blocked. You really shouldn't need to do that much work Will pull the cab and get to work on doors, cab, and hood starting tomorrow. I pretty much covered them entirely with filler and blocked due to chop work so should be a lot straighter. I'll spend a few extra days priming and blocking a few more times to be sure. The rear panels I can pull on a rainy day next winter and re do but at this point I just want to get this thing together! Still have to clear the tailgate and roll pan but figure I'd do them with the doors.

3-18-2020 2.jpg3-18-2020 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This is truly one of my favorite threads. Keep up the great work.

Did you ever find out what caused your grief with the paint?
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    This is truly one of my favorite threads. Keep up the great work.

Did you ever find out what caused your grief with the paint?
    We think..... In the tech sheets they say to use 2-3 oz of hardener in the base coat to make it harder. (recommended but not necessary) if base coat was applied 24 hrs ago they say to spray another mid coat for bonding purposes before clear. Think the new mid coat over the base with hardener is reacting. lesson? Don't use the hardener in the base coat!

Post Thanks / Like
    You must have gotten your flexible brake lines routed better than I did. I had to cut some notches in the side panels to keep them from rubbing. I will be running fenders, so all my chainsaw cuts will be hidden.
    Looking good.
    Ralph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished the rear panels with satin black on the inside bed stainless. Came out perfect. sprayed the lower half with 3M undercoating just to make them uniform. Should have painted the whole truck satin black and I'd be done! Got more primer on doors and hood. Gonna block a few more times but plan on painting them this weekend. That's the beauty of solid colors. Can paint individually and not have to worry about color match like you would with metallic Was gonna pull the cab but been raining steady so didn't want to be pulling in and out in rain maybe next week.

3-19-2020 1.jpg3-19-2020 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Made some more progress painting. Got the base coats down on the doors and hood. They came out really straight so happy about that. Working on the striping between the black and orange and will need to sand out a few bugs Hopefully get some clear on tomorrow.

3-22-2020 1.jpg3-22-2020 2.jpg3-22-2020 3.jpg

13. Thanks Salty Chief 35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your perseverance shows your true character. I appreciate your build thread. I can’t wait to see the end result. If I go with the truck, it gives me confidence that I can tackle the paint and body work. I might even give the chopped top a try. I think the chop drastically improves the overall look of your truck. Keep up the good work, you’re close to having one of the coolest trucks out there. Well done!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking paint!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a bit more done today. Got all the striping on doors and hood done and got clear on. Should have waited. The gnats came out about the third coat of clear so I have a couple permanently suspended in time. Think most will buff out when I cut and polish. Oh well. The body work on doors and hood came out really straight. The paint wont be winning any trophy's at SEMA but will look nice and I did it myself

3-22-2020 5.jpg3-22-2020 4.jpg

17. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Threw a quick buff on the hood to see how it turned out. Check out that mirror flat finish! I'm going to touch up the doors a little tomorrow. Can't let the buried bugs slide

3-24-2020 1.jpg
    Last edited by bnelson; 03-24-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at all the pollen on that oak tree!!!

I volunteer you too paint my truck! Thanks in advance....

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful paint by the way!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at all the pollen on that oak tree!!!

I volunteer you too paint my truck! Thanks in advance....
    LOL man I wont be doing body and paint on one of these things again any time soon! Really was a lot more than I expected. I thought I'd be able to do the mods I wanted to do and the rest would be at a much more finished level. Think my next one will be a 32 high boy or three window that comes with the doors, hood, trunk all hinged and gaped and reinforced with tubing. Most of the ones I've been looking at come that way.

Don't anybody get there panties in a wad. I'm glad I got this thing and it is totally unique to anything out there. Will be totally worth it and a ton of fun when completed. Just a bit more work in some aspects than I personally expected.

23. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the doors touched up and all the bugs sanded out Came out much better. I'll have to keep my clear coating time to middle of day when the bugs are sleeping! A few dirt specs but nothing that wont sand and buff out. Sure would be nice to have my own personnel spray booth

3-25-2020 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished fixing my dash where I hacked it up doing the cutout for the Dakota Digital gauges. Changed up the paint scheme a little to bring some color inside. Was a bit to all black

So that's all the parts except the cab. Still need to cut and buff but will do that as I reassemble to break it up a little. Lot of work by yourself. I got cab removed this afternoon and will try to finish up the interior foam and get ready for paint this weekend. Its getting closer! I think I'm going to cut off the scallops I molded onto the cab and radiator shroud so It won't look strange if I decide to run without a hood now and then.

So then the real fun starts. Trying to get it all back together without cobbling it up!

3-27-2020 4.jpg

26. Likes Straversi, ztoolman44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dash turned out nice!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks awesome! Very well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slowed up a little catching up on yard work but made some progress on the inside. I spray foamed the voids above the doors and ground to approximate shape. Takes a bit of time due to the curing time of the foam. Put a layer of light weight body filler over that to smooth out a little and form a solid surface. I'll put a couple layers of mat over that tomorrow and start gluing the closed cell foam up. Should be ready by weekend to paint...I hope....I keep saying that and still here I am....

3-31-2020 1.jpg3-31-2020 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Got all the closed cell foam installed and ready for headliner. Think I WILL NOT TRY THAT MYSELF! After wrestling the foam I cant for the life of me see how they do that in one piece. You spray that glue and place the material on and it is stuck for good! Have a little shaping to do around the edges and I'll take it to a local guy down the road for the headliner. After doing this I think I would have just flocked it like the other guys! But should really help with sound and heat insulation. And also give it a more finished look. I have 1/2" on the back to build up to the custom window frame I built and 1/4" on all the rest. Think I would suggest 1/8" to anybody thinking about doing this. Think that would be easier to form. I had a lot of glass work from the chop that I was trying to bury. After the foam install it does look clean and uniformly shaped.

4-2-2020 2.jpg4-2-2020 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Got all the closed cell foam installed and ready for headliner. Think I WILL NOT TRY THAT MYSELF! After wrestling the foam I cant for the life of me see how they do that in one piece. You spray that glue and place the material on and it is stuck for good! Have a little shaping to do around the edges and I'll take it to a local guy down the road for the headliner. After doing this I think I would have just flocked it like the other guys! But should really help with sound and heat insulation. And also give it a more finished look. I have 1/2" on the back to build up to the custom window frame I built and 1/4" on all the rest. Think I would suggest 1/8" to anybody thinking about doing this. Think that would be easier to form. I had a lot of glass work from the chop that I was trying to bury. After the foam install it does look clean and uniformly shaped.

4-2-2020 2.jpg4-2-2020 1.jpg
    PS: You know what this means.... I WILL GET PAINT ON THE CAB this weekend

32. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finished all the little spot repairs and sanding on the cab and got sealer on. Might get the white for the stripe on later tonight and get the orange, black, and clear on tomorrow. I'm getting pretty excited Cant wait to start putting it back together!

4-4-2020 1.jpg

34. Likes Straversi, Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was able to get all the paint on but ran out off time to clear coat. Started to get towards the bug invasion time of day. Will get the clear on tomorrow. Look's like all the body work came out good. I was a little concerned about the big flat roof but looks great!

4-5-2020 1.jpg4-5-2020 3.jpg4-5-2020 5.jpg4-5-2020 6.jpg
    Last edited by bnelson; 04-06-2020 at 02:53 AM.

36. Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOOOHOOOO! Got clear on and can finally start putting back together! Cab paint came out real nice and flat and just a couple dirt specks that will sand and buff out. Just need to paint the part of cowl that the hood sits over black satin and everything done

4-6-2020 1.jpg4-6-2020 2.jpg4-6-2020 3.jpg

38. Likes ztoolman44, shmelty liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great!
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job !!!!
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    You’ve done some amazing paint work!
    Bugs...?
    None here in any number for another two months!
    I could only wish for a spring like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very well done!!! In the home stretch now.
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how you are doing that in your garage. I don't see any protective material on rest of garage. I made a paint booth out of hanging plastic from the ceiling to floor, and putting box fans under the semi-closed garage door. Since I moved to a neighborhood, I will not be able to do that any longer.
    Looking good.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    I don't know how you are doing that in your garage. I don't see any protective material on rest of garage. I made a paint booth out of hanging plastic from the ceiling to floor, and putting box fans under the semi-closed garage door. Since I moved to a neighborhood, I will not be able to do that any longer.
    Looking good.
    Ralph
    I put box fans in two windows. Just covered up stuff that I didn't want overspray on. Will be painting floor again once all is completed. Figured that was easier than trying to cover it up every time I painted something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Love the color combination and the white stripe works perfect. Obviously this shows the painting neophytes what can be done by an amateur in a garage without $30k in spray booth and equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    Looks great! Love the color combination and the white stripe works perfect. Obviously this shows the painting neophytes what can be done by an amateur in a garage without $30k in spray booth and equipment.
    Thanks $200.00 Devilbiss finish line spray gun, $1200.00 in paint from The Coating Store, and a bunch of patience and persistence to learn from and correct your mistakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’m only in the planning stage and I’ve been looking at the us wheel smoothies similar to what you have. I’m still not sure if I’m going with the 33 or the truck. Just wondering what size did you go with on your wheels and tires as well?
    Again I have to say well done on your build. It’s one of my favorites I’ve been following.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast