Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to Tow a MK1

Post Thanks / Like

How to Tow a MK1

My MK 1 Roadster is not running and needs to be towed. Are the front bumperettes strong enough to pull the car on to a rollback trailer? If not, where can I hook it without damaging the body?

Thanks
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Attach to the front lower control arms. Don’t use the quick jacks. Tow driver should have ramps to get you onto the tow deck at a better angle. Also, with a T5 you have to use a flat bed otherwise you’ll damage the transmission.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The tow driver should put blocks of wood up between the cable and the frame to help keep the cable down, away from the body.
    Most of the rollback - flat bed drivers will extend the flat bed back to help reduce the angle. I was towed once after a blowout on my rear tire and the tow operator was very careful as well as knew what to watch for.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    My MK 1 Roadster is not running and needs to be towed. Are the front bumperettes strong enough to pull the car on to a rollback trailer? If not, where can I hook it without damaging the body?

Thanks
    Buy yourself a 2" 20' tow strap and loop it around the front 4" cross tube. Have the driver attach his hook through the tow strap. As the car is pulled up onto the flatbed keep you foot on the strap to keep it off the body work. I always keep one of these straps in the trunk. Scott

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...SABEgKq8PD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    have the driver attach a strap to the control arm. he will need to put down blocks to drag it up onto his bed then have him strap it down using 8 point tie downs or D rings through the wheels.
    a 20' strap around the 4" cross tube wont work its too long and the drive wont use it or allow you to stand on it for insurance reasons

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the car towed this week. Driver wrapped both lower control arms and pulled from leg of the Y formed. His truck bed was hinged about 6’ from the rear edge so that portion of the bed laid flat on the ground with the rest of the bed tilted. He then pulled car about half way on to the flat portion and then raised the bed back to being flat and pulled the car up. Worked really well. Thanks for all the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by acmikee View Post
    have the driver attach a strap to the control arm. he will need to put down blocks to drag it up onto his bed then have him strap it down using 8 point tie downs or D rings through the wheels.
    a 20' strap around the 4" cross tube wont work its too long and the drive wont use it or allow you to stand on it for insurance reasons
    Funny has worked for me with no issues?