BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Speed but oil pressure sender?

Post Thanks / Like

Speed but oil pressure sender?

My second oil pressure sender apparently crapped out on me. First one the + pole broke off. Pressure was good for a few minutes and then went to zero. Checked with a manual gauge and pressure was 60 at idle. So I’ve ordered my 3rd sender(now have 1.0 miles on my car)...question is...are there any alternatives out there for this type sending unit? Ironically I was moving my car out of the garage for graduate pics!
    Last edited by Jacob; 04-15-2019 at 08:47 PM.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Assume you mean the third sender and not the third full gauge. Pretty certain you need to use the sender from Speedhut, so no options there that I'm aware of. I personally haven't had any failures with the several I've used. But it's mentioned enough on here that quality does appear to be an issue. I have broken the pole on one though, so I know from experience that part is a bit fragile. You need to be really careful to not over-tighten it. The most recent sender I received with my Coupe kit was slightly different than previous ones. Seems maybe Speedhut changed something? I don't know. No suggestions other than to speak with Speedhut and describe your experience. They have good customer service and may help you out. May also have some suggestions.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-15-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks Jacob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are you ordering new gauges ( "So I’ve ordered my 3rd gauge" ) when you have been having issues with the sender? And did you mean Speedhut? I've always had very good customer service with Speedhut. They do stand behind their products.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, they do have good customer service---they kinda' have to. I've had several Speedhut OP senders fail (on multiple cars) when mounted directly to the engine. After about the fourth episode I started remote mounting them to the F panel and running a section of 2-AN hose between the sender and engine. No failures since. Coincidence? I don't think so...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    No, no..my mistake, 3rd sending unit!!! Gauges are fine!
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Yes, they do have good customer service---they kinda' have to. I've had several Speedhut OP senders fail (on multiple cars) when mounted directly to the engine. After about the fourth episode I started remote mounting them to the F panel and running a section of 2-AN hose between the sender and engine. No failures since. Coincidence? I don't think so...

Jeff
    That’s interesting? Just may try that on the next attempt. BTW, would anybody here happen to know how to benchtest the sender? I got some resistance, not sure how much I should have?
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post

BTW, would anybody here happen to know how to benchtest the sender? I got some resistance, not sure how much I should have?
    Got a good (Fluke) meter? - You'll need one.

If you've got three wires going to the sender, here's how they work:

Red = 5 VDC reference to sender from gauge.
    Black = 0 VDC reference to sender from gauge.
    White = .5-4.5 VDC signal to gauge from sender - this is based on the span of the sender, not the meter.

For instance Speedhut part# G-SNDR-02: https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/p...on-and-Legacy) reads .5 VDC at 16" vacuum + 4.5 VDC at 30 PSI. So if you had a 0-15 PSI gauge it's going to peg the needle at ~ 3.5 VDC (15 PSI).

I do not know the specifics of part# G-SNDR-01: https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/p...on-and-Legacy) which is what you are probably using on your oil pressure gauge, but Speedhut is really good at answering emails through their website and they will provide that information if you ask. https://www.speedhut.com/contact.html

9. Thanks Jacob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That’s interesting? Just may try that on the next attempt. BTW, would anybody here happen to know how to benchtest the sender? I got some resistance, not sure how much I should have?
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    Got a good (Fluke) meter? - You'll need one.

If you've got three wires going to the sender, here's how they work:

Red = 5 VDC reference to sender from gauge.
    Black = 0 VDC reference to sender from gauge.
    White = .5-4.5 VDC signal to gauge from sender - this is based on the span of the sender, not the meter.

For instance Speedhut part# G-SNDR-02: https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/p...on-and-Legacy) reads .5 VDC at 16" vacuum + 4.5 VDC at 30 PSI. So if you had a 0-15 PSI gauge it's going to peg the needle at ~ 3.5 VDC (15 PSI).

I do not know the specifics of part# G-SNDR-01: https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/p...on-and-Legacy) which is what you are probably using on your oil pressure gauge, but Speedhut is really good at answering emails through their website and they will provide that information if you ask. https://www.speedhut.com/contact.html
    The oil pressure sensor used with the Factory Five Speedhut Vintage gauges is a 2-wire resistive type. This one: https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/p...Speedhut-Line). Real quick Google search didn't find any alternatives for a 100 psi, 240-33 ohms range sensor similar to this one. Might be something out there, but didn't see anything. Could be tested with a VOM while in operation I suppose. But since your gauge is good as far as you know, just as easy to hook it up and see what you have.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

The oil pressure sensor used with the Factory Five Speedhut Vintage gauges is a 2-wire resistive type. This one: https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/p...Speedhut-Line).
    I didn't know that - ordered all my gauges directly from Speedhut on Black Friday sales over the years.

To be clear:

The three wire sensors are capacitive and reading resistance doesn't work on them.

The Speedhut website doesn't currently show any resistive type pressure gauges (but I agree they used to - and obviously they still list the sensor for that type of gauge).

https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Pres...price&i=18&p=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, every Speedhut pressure sender I've seen (and that's a lot, including 5 of 'em in the shop right now) has been 2 wire.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I too had a flaky oil pressure sending unit from Speed hut on the initial start of my crate Coyote. Like Oli and Jeff have said, they do have excellent customer service. I'd keep at themJacob. Eventually, you,ll get a good one that should last you for years.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    I too had a flaky oil pressure sending unit from Speed hut on the initial start of my crate Coyote. Like Oli and Jeff have said, they do have excellent customer service. I'd keep at themJacob. Eventually, you,ll get a good one that should last you for years.
    Thanks all, I’m planning on a remote mount per Jeff’s suggestion...we’ll see how that goes? Planning to push S H on giving me a replacement so at least I’ll have a spare!
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the SH response to my question of how to bench test.

[B][/Yes, here are some reference you can compare against for pressure vs ohms.

I’m getting 1.3 ohms. Waiting on their response, so I’ll pass along when I get it.

0 psi - 240 ohms
    50 psi - 143 ohms
    60 psi - 124.5 ohms
    70psi - 101 ohms
    80 psi - 79 ohms
    85 psi - 61 ohms
    90psi - 44.4 ohmsB]
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

16. Thanks H R Lucky thanked for this post
    Likes H R Lucky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For follow up, SH is sending a warranty replacement (voluntarily), it impresses me that they saw where I had ordered one and will credit me back for it. I still intend to mount remote with copper tubing from the motor to the sender.
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    For follow up, SH is sending a warranty replacement (voluntarily), it impresses me that they saw where I had ordered one and will credit me back for it. I still intend to mount remote with copper tubing from the motor to the sender.
    Make sure there's some flex hose in that remote mount somewhere. Copper tubing will crack with the vibration of the engine over time.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I still intend to mount remote with copper tubing from the motor to the sender.
    NO! As I said in post #4 use braided hose, not copper.

Jeff

20. Thanks Jacob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

NO! As I said in post #4 use braided hose, not copper.

Agreed.

AN is great.

Another suitable product is the Gates LOC line of hose + fittings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Final story:
    1st a sincere apology to Speedhut! I am really embarrassed but this is how it happened, hoping others can learn from my mistakes!
    1. Even after disconnecting the oil pressure sensor the gauge fuse was still tripping
    2. Only way to not trip the fuse was to keep the water temperature and oil pressure disconnected
    3. Lucky for me I built the dash so that it could be removed!
    4. Just guessing that the “extra” power input in the daisy chain for the gauges is for oil temp?
    5. What are the chances but the pinpoint area of the power (red wire) had shorted out to one of the small aluminum brackets. See pic.
    6. Insulated the male plugin and now all is good.
    7. Calling Speedhut and telling them the story and making sure I pay for their replacement.
    8. Maybe some others can learn from my mistake.
    43CDE187-B420-45EE-918C-CE4D96A18B28.jpeg
    Last edited by Jacob; 04-22-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you found your problem, and even more glad you shared it. You've saved someone down the road considerable time & effort in their troubleshooting.

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313