BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Finger on submit button - last second double check.

Post Thanks / Like

Finger on submit button - last second double check.

Having sold an early MkII roadster a few years ago, the itch to build another factory five car has overwhelmed me. The plan this time is a traditional hot rod with the 32 grill. I’d love some input before I hit send.

My plan is the following:
    33 hot rod roadster with soft top
    32 deluxe grill / no hood or sides
    LS motor with TKO 500
    Donor 8.8 with four link
    Manual steering and clutch
    Air-conditioning
    Bench seat
    Platinum gauges
    Powder coated chassis.

The goal of the car is for it to be very drivable. I’m not a show car guy, and own enough vehicles that are old and fragile. My 12-year-old daughter wants to be an engineer and I figure it’s a great father daughter project to get her thinking about how things go together.

Are there anything that I need to plan ahead for work by now while I’m ordering?
    Seth
    Attached Images Attached Images
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Trigger pulled. Kit due 5/25...
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

3. Likes kgkeys liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Go For It, But Consider Upgrading The Transmission To A T-56 Since You Are Going With The LS.
    .......Having that extra gear will set your ride apart from the rest, plus makes it a lot more fun if you like to shift.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you've already ordered, but I'm a big fan of the 3-Link suspension in back. The cars handle well, but the 3-Link improves cornering at speed.
    I had a Challenge car, originally built with 4Link and drove it on the track the first year. I then changed to 3-Link and was very pleased with the result.
    If you're going to do a lot of "dump the clutch" type of things, then the 4-Link is probably better.
    My '33 is 3-Link and I'm glad it is. 10 years old and maybe 12K miles on it......
    33_Last_Open_Road.jpg
    You're going to love the extra wheel base. 112" vs 90" on the Roadster. It makes car control much easier when the right foot gets heavy.
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 04-17-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also consider the electric power steering. I am fairly strong guy and I thought I would be ok with the manual steering. I don't have it registered yet, just driving around the corner and I can already tell its pretty hard to deal with in slow speed situations.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defiantly get the P/S. If you are under 500 ft/lbs torque the TKO 500 is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wait is killing me. I haven’t pulled the trigger on parts yet, but I’m starting to zero in on my plan.

First up is a 4.8 LS. I figure I’m gonna go that route for a lower mileage, later year, non-DOD motor. I can always add a cam if I need horse power. However the calculators show it as a easy 11/ second quarter mile car.

Behind that I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with a TKO600. I started down the road of a T5, but I’m not super excited about an adapter and lower torque rating.

Rear end will most likely be a 3.55 8.8. I really could go as deep as 4.10....
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    The wait is killing me. I haven’t pulled the trigger on parts yet, but I’m starting to zero in on my plan.

First up is a 4.8 LS. I figure I’m gonna go that route for a lower mileage, later year, non-DOD motor. I can always add a cam if I need horse power. However the calculators show it as a easy 11/ second quarter mile car.

Behind that I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with a TKO600. I started down the road of a T5, but I’m not super excited about an adapter and lower torque rating.

Rear end will most likely be a 3.55 8.8. I really could go as deep as 4.10....

The 4.8 will give you good of power since, but if you are going down the LS path, then why not put a T-56 behind that LS instead?
    You could gear it deep (3.73 - 3.90 - 4.10) and still cruise on the highway depending your final 5th and 6th gear ratios.
    Yes, you will find that F-5 Family Members love to spend New Family Member Money so get ready to hear other suggestions.

Good Luck Fellow Dark Sider, Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m playing with ratios a bunch. Tire size is a deciding factor as well.... Nothings been decided and everything is on the table.

Kind of silly to have a budget in mind on a project like this, but that factors too. Mostly because my wife is the CFO of a hospital and I can’t use the restroom without telling her how much T. P. I’ve commited to THAT project.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, what's wrong with a SBC? They look more traditional and way kooler than the modern engines and you said you want to run without a hood.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Hey, what's wrong with a SBC? They look more traditional and way kooler than the modern engines and you said you want to run without a hood.
    Absolutely nothing! My daily is a 81 suburban with a carb’d 454. Ive also got a 53 Chevy pu with a 350. It’s just time to do something different. LS “swaps” are new territory for me.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    You better check how much foot room you have with a clutch, it is really tight. I went auto and have never regretted it, still can't wear anything but slender runners. I'll bet you could never shift it quickly any way compared to a proper modified auto. If you want good handling and a robust rear suspension use the Vintage brace upgrade with a 3 link for the best of both worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with donshapansky, foot room is tight -- really tight. And you'll find that a hydraulic T/O bearing provides a little more room if you're willing to fab a new doghouse cover (or modify the one in the kit). A stick adds a fun factor but an auto will free up some foot room even with the FFR doghouse as it eliminates one pedal. For a cruiser either is a good choice and for a street rod there is no performance advantage to either. With moderate power both will push you back in the seat from a stop sign, and either will allow you to smoke the tires if that's your thing.

Good luck with your build sethmark, and remember to have fun every chance you get.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR claims a ‘tremendous’ amount of increased room in the gen 2 cockpit. We will see. Either way, it’s just parts. I don’t sweat it anymore. If the stick isn’t ideal, I’ll throw an auto in it. I tend to build things iteratively anyway. The car might see multiple motor and trans options over time.

I have an unwavering postive attitude. I make chicken salad out of chicken **** for a living.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Had to laugh -- I totally get the "iterative" building strategy. Seems I've built my car at least three times up to this point and after only one race season I'm now working on my second engine (need more power). I like your attitude -- too many builders box themselves in with arbitrary self imposed limits. I always think if X doesn't work, maybe Y will...

Rock on brother!

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps It’s the misery of experience! I’ve learned, clearly like yourself, that things take time. They also take multiple installations. The guys that work for me all understand that if we’re on a project, fitting something three times is mandatory. Not because you can’t get it right the first time, but because you won’t get it right the first time or the second time.

So a project like this I approach the same way. I’ll get it right when it’s right. And I’ll sneak up on everything so that I don’t make a mess.

I truly hope to make this a father daughter project. And in doing so, I’m hoping my daughter learns the same ethics. The expectation of immediate gratification is ruining us.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nothings been decided and everything is on the table.
    What about picking up a 1989-1996 low mileage C-4 Corvette with a ZF 6-Speed as a donor?

> The 1989-1991 had the ZF gear box behind an L98 350 SBC.
    > The LT-1 (1992-1996) engines can can be converted to a carburetor if desired with a standard distributor.
    > Those engines (LT-1) made 300-HP and 330#'s of Torque and you can sell off the rest.
    > The LT-4's made a few more ponies, but tend to cost more.
    > LT-5's aren't worth touching because of the cost and those engine parts are tough to get; however, the 4 cam engine is cooler than cool.

Old C-4's are a dime a dozen and I sold the one shown below to my pal Brian for a whopping $2,000.00 just to P--- his wife off.

https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-04-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    .... I’m hoping my daughter learns the same ethics. The expectation of immediate gratification is ruining us.
    Amen! Kudos!
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    10 days out. Bill paid........ itchy!
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k