Hey all,

(apologies in advance for another fuel line routing thread)

I have an MKIV complete kit - planning on a 302 based carb engine with power steering.

Up to this point in the build I have managed as a new builder w/o the benefit of built school to manage mostly on my own (of course with the help of the videos and the voluminous knowledge on the various forums). But at this point I'm out of my league a little in that I have never run any sort of fuel/power steering/brake lines. Please forgive me if my questions are overly basic.

I think I understand with a carburetor that the fuel line should optimally come up into the engine compartment on the driver side. That means that at some point I'll need to route the lines from the passenger side to the driver side at some point.

I've also gathered that there are numerous options on the type of lines and diameters of lines that can be used. I guess I'm overwhelmed by the options at this point.

So I'll start with this basic question and ask more about the types of lines later on:
Where, on a MKIV (3 link solid axle rear end - if that matters) is the right place to cut over to the driver side? I may be reading pictures from other posts incorrectly, but I've seen it come across the upper cross member of the frame, sort of behind the seat back area (again, I think I've seen one where EdwardB did that) but in the pics I've seen that cross member is relatively empty of obstacles. Mine looks like this: (picture taken facing the front of the car from right above the rear end gear box but under the triangular metal plate)

20190416_195822.jpg

I'm trying to avoid running the lines where aluminum, a battery, or something else will end up being.

If the answer is to drill and mock up the rear and trunk area I'm ok with that. Just trying to figure out a first step in knowing what to do here.