BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Compressor in a RHD

Post Thanks / Like

Compressor in a RHD

I have struck a problem with the RHD conversion.

Where the compressor sits in the LHD car, its on the RH side in a nice big gap, my steering linkage goes right through the centre of that RH space. There is zero room on the LH side, I can't even get my hand in there. I started to look at other ways to mount the compressor, similar to the way the alternator is mounted but it all looked too hard and started to get very crowded and the only place I could see that it might fit I wasn't happy with.

I bought a 12V compressor, same as used in trucks and buses roof mount units. I thought the power requirements were a bit high to start off with. It has 3 speeds 1=1.16kw(3600btu)@30amps, 2= 1.66kw(5600btu)@60amps, 3=2.2kw(7500btu)@90amps. I thought 90 amps was a bit high but the Mustang electric power steering draws a hell of a lot, the cables to it were as big as the battery cables. The stock alternator is also 200 amps. And 2.2kw is an awful lot of cooling for that small cabin space.
    I think 1.15 kw/cooling = about 1.5hp. That's a lot and I think would be adequate, if not then maybe speed 2 would be OK.

Any how I am now committed, there is no other way I can do this. I was also thinking of putting in a reversing valve and see how it runs as a heat pump. I have been involved in commercial AC for years, it all seems to size out ok.

The compressor will be mounted in the trunk, the only hoses in the engine bay will be to the condenser and they will be run along the bottom of the chassis somehow. Hopefully the heat pump will work, I cant see why it wont and I can have ZERO hoses in the engine bay, which I like. I already have some looking at it to use in their galaxy with a monster big block, no room there either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Compressors have arrived.

The 12V compressors arrived. The quality looks excellent. They weigh 15lb each. Strengthening the trunk floor to take the compressor and the 2 batteries is next. The compressor will have a dedicated deep cycle.
    Attached Images Attached Images