Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power steering rack extensions and inner tie rod question

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering rack extensions and inner tie rod question

So I was working on the alignment, getting ready for a go cart session, and noticed a drip of power steering fluid coming from the passenger side rack boot. Nothing on the floor yet, just the boot. So I pulled the boot and it was full of fluid. The new rack (reman) didnt even make the first drive! Looks like the seals are leaking on that passenger side.

IMG_6592.jpg

So I bought and installed the rack nearly 2 years ago now. Amazingly, it had a 3 year warranty. So a new one should be here tomorrow. Anyway, I got thinking about what the manual has you do to the rack before installation. Mainly these 2 tasks:
    1) Cut 1.75" from the end of both inner tie rods
    2) Install rack extensions on the rack

The rack I am using is a 1993 with performance suspension, which results in a tighter ratio.

After looking at the manual again, there are different instructions for 87-93 and 94-04 rack. The verbiage is not clear:
    87-93 - Put a dot of thread lock on the threads of the steering rack extension and attach the Mustang inner tie rods to the steering rack.
    94-04 - Put a dot of thread lock on the threads of the steering rack extension and attach the new inner tie rods to the steering shaft.
    I am assuming that because I have a 1993 rack, I need to use the extensions, and the shortened inner tie rods. Is this correct? Ill hopefully be putting this all back together tomorrow, and get this thing back on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rack extensions help w/ getting less bump steer. They are a nice to have rather than a have to have. The verbiage in the above directions is slightly off. To me the top one would be correct for either year. There are different length tie rods and different length outer tie rod ends so just put it together and check to see if you can get to zero toe-in.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CraigS, I will check out the toe-in for sure once I get the rack back in.

So the new rack came in.
    IMG_6618.jpg

I have the extenders installed and the cut down inner tie rods. This rack is a bit different than the previous one. I think the old one was what is called a ford style, and the new one is a 2 piece TRW rack. It seems that how the AN fittings mount a re bit different. On the previous rack, all the fittings needed was an o-ring. On the new rack, there is no recess in the housing for the o-ring to fill. When I start to compress the o-ring it just squeezes out, not gonna last 2 seconds. I got the AN adapter fittings from brezze, and they came with those metal/rubber washers. I am guessing this is the use case for them, but wondering if the o-rings need to be there with the washer?
    IMG_6619.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got done replacing my donor rack (2004 Mustang). Had the same problem with the left boot full of fluid. I'm almost positive it's because I never properly flushed the PS system after creating the AN-fitted hoses, storage of the rack over a period of time, etc.

When I got the new rack, I found that the FFR inner tie rods no longer worked. Can't remember why. Left the inners on that came with the replacement, just cut down a bit (I think .5 to .75 inch) to get the toe-in correct. Ordered new outers, as well, since the thread pitch was also different. It's one of those, "figure out what you have to make it work," moments.

Regarding your fittings, I didn't have o-ringed lines at the rack. I have AN conversion fittings there, with disposable white nylon washers used for PS units. Could that be the situation with yours?
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark K, I realize yours is a 2004 rack, but do you have an image or link to an image of the AN fittings you mentioned? I'm familiar with the o-ring fittings everyone sells, and went that route, kinda mixed results based on the rack. Seems that the AN fittings should be using whatever the original power steering lines were using.

Post Thanks / Like
    I only have pics of it assembled, which doesn't help. However, here's a link to LMR's site where they show the conversion fittings, and one of them has the one-time-use nylon washer attached.

https://lmr.com/item/MM-ST73/maximum...kit-7904-st-73

- m
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)