BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Porsche 917/10 Questions Wiring, Transaxcle.

Post Thanks / Like

Porsche 917/10 Questions Wiring, Transaxcle.

Hi Guys,

Just coming back to work since last fall and on the downhill side of this mountain. I found someone in California who is a retired Custom Wiring Harness Designer with 40 years experience. I gave him my car specific info and he sent me back a computer designed wiring diagram which I has almost finished. If you need work done like that, let me know and I ask him if he is interested.

I have a few easy questions for you experts.

1. I drained the transaxle fluid. I cleaned the opening and re-installed the plug and washer. There was a steady drip or fluid leaking out. I reinstalled it a couple of times with the same result. I bought a new plug and washer from Subaru checked for casing cracks and torqued it in at 51 lb. ft. I didn't put the fluid back in!!! Drip, Drip, Drip! That's just from the residue!!! The bottom of the case and CV joints were wet from last fall. I think there's a Gremlin in there. Any thoughts?

2. Are there some kind of CV Joint seals when you stick the joints into the differential?

3. I forgot what kind of transmission fluid to use. I may still have what I drained out of it.

4. I have a oil drain plug with an oil temp sensor screwed into it nice and tight. Drip, Drip, Drip! Same gremlin? If I put Teflon tape on the sensor, won't that kill the ground or does it Not ground? What do I know about electrics? When this car is done I'll never go under the hood of a car again!

5. I may need an alternator bracket from an EZ30 engine. Anybody have one? Does the alternator get it's own belt or does it share?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Check that the mating surfaces of the plug and transmission are flat and clear of debris. If there is any damage to either surface, it could cause a leak. It would help if you posted a picture of the bottom of the plug and where it bolts in on the trans. There might be a thread sealer you could use from permetax for this sort of thing but I'd have to check my garage.

2. It depends on what year your transmission is. Earlier transmissions had male axle stubs that are sealed to the trans, so there is no seal b/w the CV and the trans. Later transmissions did have a seal between the CV stubs and the trans.

3. 75W90

4. A picture of the sensor would help - not sure how it's attached to the plug. These types of sensors are usually thermistors so there is no ground to worry about. Does it have 1 wire coming our of it or 2?

5. Alternator shares a belt with power steering pump but you can get around that with a simple turn buckle to put tension on the belt. Otherwise, in the OEM configuration, the PS bracket is used to tension the alternator belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB91710 View Post
    Hi Guys,

The bottom of the case and CV joints were wet from last fall. I think there's a Gremlin in there. Any thoughts?
    What year car did the trans come out of? If the bottoms of your CV joints are wet, you most likely have a seal leak where the axle stubs go into the case and its wicking down the case and dripping off the lowest point.

As others have stated, a few pictures will tell the story better.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission is a 5 speed from 2005. The CV joint is from a 2007 Tribeca with the automatic. The splines worked but that might be the leak problem.

I'll have to get a photo of the oil temp sensor. It's from VDO and has a single wire and screws into a plug adapter.

I didn't even think about putting a thread seal on the transaxle drain plug when it has a washer. It's a Subaru plug and washer and the sealing surface felt smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the photos.[ATTACH=CONFIG]105942
    20190418_132121.jpg
    20190418_132232.jpg
    20190418_132214.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JB91710; 04-18-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The CV joint is from a 2007 Tribeca with the automatic. The splines worked but that might be the leak problem.
    I don't know of anyone that has tried to used Tribeca CV's or half shafts, I think your on your own on that one. Probably better off sticking to Impreza CV's.

I'll have to get a photo of the oil temp sensor. It's from VDO and has a single wire and screws into a plug adapter.
    There is already a oil temp sensor on the EZ motors right next to the coolant temp sensor on the top side of the motor, That's the one I use.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    I had oil seal issues with mine, which is a later 2004 which has the same tranny and axles as 2005. The part numbers for the Tribeca and the WRX are different according to Subaru parts stores, so would guess they are not fully compatible. I found that in changing the sundials to install new seals that it was very difficult to accurately know when the threads engaged, therefore, tolerances with bearing and pinion shaft were effected and I had leaks. I learned that from post by Hindsight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's the first I have heard of an oil temp sensor at that location. I'll check it out and take a picture and post it if I am confused. I'm using VDO gauges so they have there own sensor needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of that went over my head. I started with a Tribeca automatic so that's why I have these CV joints. The splines where compatible and I only Hoped they would work.