Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: From Rust to rust... when to call it quits!

Post Thanks / Like

From Rust to rust... when to call it quits!

Greetings all!

As a full disclaimer: I am not mechanically inclined, but am drawn to this project by my love of cars and the idea of learning more about how they work (driving my girlfriend crazy by always talking about FFR is just bonus).

I'm back in the country for a few weeks to actually start the project I thought I would start over two years ago (before work resigned me out of country again). The only progress made while I have been gone has been the full rot of my donor car. It wasn't great to begin with, but it is now something else. Surprisingly, it started up immediately, only needed a boost. Unfortunately, it didn't want to move, and my application of "MORE POWWWER" resulted in a broken rear axle. I had difficulty putting it on jack stands, as there wasn't anywhere to jack it up without ripping through the car (Enter farm tractor+hay spikes... see photo).

I've salvaged what I could, but will soon have spent more money on cutting wheels than the donor. I have been able to salvage (or purchase) most of what is needed (and even some JDM parts to resell to some vap-puffing millennial).

However, where I am definitely screwed is in the hardware department (see what I did there ). It looks like I'll need to order new hardware (any Canadian part outs or auto wreckers would likely be no better than my donor), but I'm failing to find a comprehensive part list, and I'd really prefer to avoid heading to the dealership if possible.

I have seen Bob_n_Cincy's list used for personal build, but/and I was hoping someone may have something similar that would help me avoid doing this build one backlogged-bolt-order at a time.

On the positive - I drilled the cockpit floor last night... I had to do at least one activity on the kit before calling it a night; spending the last 4 days swearing at a rusted wrx has not been good for my calm.

Thank you in advance,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, donor gone as of yesterday, got $100 from the scrap yard for the shell! Spent about an hour at the Subaru dealership identifying going through the 818 install manual identifying the hardware needed to get the car to a roller state. Thankfully the guys at the parts desk seemed pretty excited about the project and are super keen to help track down all the parts needed. Hopefully we will be able to populate a full list of the Subaru part numbers based on their findings needed for an 818 "hardware pack", but we'll see. If I am able to create such a list, I'll post on this thread.

Moving forward, my posts will be in the build thread so stay tuned for lots of posts where you are going to be thinking "what the heck is this guy doing?!"!

3. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post