BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Padded dash with glove box question.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Padded dash with glove box question.

This is my first padded dash with glove box install. I have done 4 of the aluminum dashes that you cover. My question is this. In the photos below is this the best you can make it fit the top chassis bar? I had ended up with an extra dash due to a defect near the glove box. So I wanted to use it as a mock up unit to see how to mount this new dash. As you can see from the photos, if you center the steering column and make sure there is room for the speedometer and its lock ring you end up with a gap in the middle of the top of the dash on the chassis bar. I have both sides exactly where they need to be. Has anyone done this? If so does the body cover the center gap? If it does no big deal. I just don't look right to me right now. Anyone with this dash installed with the body on please comment. Thanks, TW

IMG_3731.JPGIMG_3732.JPGIMG_3733.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Best recollection is that will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too. Installed several and never had a gap. Heres a hint for the glove box door. I know you can handle this Tom. Cut a piece of aluminum sheet metal just slightly smaller than the inside of the door. trace the lock pattern on the aluminum and cut it out. Now lay it back inside the door and assemble your hinges. Mark the holes in the hinges and drill them in the aluminum as well. When ready to finish assembly rivet the aluminum to the hinges and then glue (silicone) the whole aluminum sheet to the door. You may need to file the head of the rivet slightly for a better fit.no more hinges coming unglued from the vinyl door.
    Mike

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Me too. Installed several and never had a gap. Heres a hint for the glove box door. I know you can handle this Tom. Cut a piece of aluminum sheet metal just slightly smaller than the inside of the door. trace the lock pattern on the aluminum and cut it out. Now lay it back inside the door and assemble your hinges. Mark the holes in the hinges and drill them in the aluminum as well. When ready to finish assembly rivet the aluminum to the hinges and then glue (silicone) the whole aluminum sheet to the door. You may need to file the head of the rivet slightly for a better fit.no more hinges coming unglued from the vinyl door.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike. I was going to do that from the start but used some High tech 5000PSI epoxy. Hope that will hold. I should have gone with my 1st idea to rivet to the aluminum that comes with the glove box.
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-18-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine looks exactly like that when the corners are aligned. Haven't put the body on yet, so can't comment on fitment, but I thought it would conform to the hoop a little more like the aluminum dash does.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2