Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Barbers “Built on Tips” roadster

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Barbers “Built on Tips” roadster

Hey all. I’m starting a build thread even though I haven’t ordered my kit yet.

First off...a little about me. I’m a Barber by trade and own my own shop in southeast Tennessee. I’m an Army Veteran and a complete gear head. I’m no stranger to turning wrenches. I have a couple of other projects going but a MKIV Roadster is one of my dream builds. I had a mk4 ordered once before back in 2012....I had paid my deposit....had the money in the bank to pay it off....but before my kit was finished my Ex fiancé managed to blow through all my money while I was gone for training....needless to say I was pissed and extremely discouraged. Soon after splitting with her I sold the 408w I had for my kit along with the tko I had....now here it is several years later....I have a new fiancé who is very supportive and doesn’t blow my money. I’m building a new house a nice new shop. I have decided it’s time to make my dream a reality. This is going to be a long build...but a very detailed build. But like the title says...it will be built solely with my cash tips from work.

The plan is to split my tips at the end of each week. Half will get saved for the future purchase of a mk4 roadster base kit. The other half will go towards purchasing the parts to finish the kit....engine, trans, brakes, wheels, fuel system...etc.

Currently I have a 74 351w block that will be the basis for a 408w build.
    I have a 93 8.8 out of a mustang with a 31 spline carrier and Ford Racing 3:55 gears.
    And a set of side vents I had purchased for my original kit....but sold to a buddy of mine for his cobra...he never put them on his cobra and sold them back to me.

Even tho I’m doing a basic kit build...it will be built with top quality parts.
    As I purchase parts I will post updates and plan on doing detailed build logs for the rear end and engine.

I plan on starting the rear end build first. Axles, bearings and brake parts for the rear will be the 1st things to get ordered.

I’m currently building a 51 shoebox ford 2dr sedan (it will be the family cruiser). A 54 F100 (shop truck). And a fiberglass 32 3w...that is being built just to be sold (all money from selling it once it is farther along will go to the purchase of my mk4)

I know I’m jumping the gun on this but after being so close to having my dream car in the past and being screwed out of it....I’m now more determined than ever to make this dream a reality.

I look forward to sharing my progress with you guy as we go forward on this adventure.
    Attached Images Attached Images