Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote clutch safety switch question. Build manual confusion

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote clutch safety switch question. Build manual confusion

My father and I are trying to finish the wilwood pedal box and are experiencing some confusion over parts in the kit and conflicting instructions in the manuals.
    1. We have already installed the bottom clutch travel switch per the 2015-2017 coyote engine install manual. However this manual does not mention a safety switch installation.
    2. We followed the wilwood installation manual for installing the pedals and MC but it mentions installing a clutch safety switch (see first picture)
    3. FFR did not provide a switch as shown in the wilwood install manual. We were sent (2) four prong switches like the one used for the brake pedal (see second picture). The parts list shows it as Qty 2 "Brake/Clutch switch" with the same part number

I've read older posts where some people use the safety switch and others do not. Do we need the safety switch for our 2017 coyote application? If yes, is it ok to use the switch FFR provided even though it does not match the style in the manual?

Thanks!
    Capture2.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Brian76; 04-19-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe on the second gen Coyotes that you only need the top safety switch.
    I have the same setup and only have a connection for the upper switch.
    I think the first gen motors required both switches.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    First, if you're doing a Coyote build, the bottom clutch switch in the Ford Performance controls pack is a safety switch. The Coyote PCM won't initiate a start without that switch being depressed. So for a Coyote build, you don't use the Ron Frances clutch safety switch. In fact, that complete wire can be removed. All you need from the Ron Frances harness for the start function is the blue start wire off the ignition switch that goes directly to the controls pack pigtail start sense wire. Per the Factory Five and Ford Performance instructions. So you won't need the second switch that Factory Five provides, or the little mounting bracket just under the clutch pedal. Instead you should use the mounting bracket from the Coyote installation kit to mount the Ford bottom clutch switch.

Early Gen 2 Coyotes did have two clutch switches. One for the top and one for the bottom. Later versions, I believe starting with the 2017 version but don't quote on that, eliminated the top clutch switch and only have the single bottom switch which is also a safety switch as I described. Sounds like that's what you have. The most recent Ford Performance and Factory Five Coyote installation instructions reflect this change. Isn't covered in the Roadster build manual, since it only shows the generic installation with two switches. Brake light switch on the brake pedal and safety switch on the clutch pedal. So it can be confusing. For your Coyote installation, the separate Coyote installation instructions take precedence over whatever is in the overall manual.

Hope that all makes sense.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-19-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, the switch you have pictured is for the brake light. The clutch switch looks different and would be in your controls pack box. Edwardb is correct - 2015 gen2 engines have top and bottom; 2017 engines have only one. FFR has the brackets to mount/engage those. Look at the wiring diagram for the controls pack and it will identify how many clutch switches you need in one of the cutouts from the main harness that will also help you determine if you have a 2015 or 2017. (The CMCV is different for each, too)
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    To expand slightly on Al_C's response, and mine, more about the pictures of the switches you posted. The top round one is what Factory Five used to supply for brake light and clutch safety switches. Also what I believe is still showing in some/all build manuals. The lower larger square switch is what they're providing now. It's more universal with one pair of normally open terminals and another pair of normally closed. Plus the plunger seems to have a less critical set point. My Coupe kit from a little over a year ago contained two of this later style switch. For purposes of the build, the different style Factory Five switches are basically interchangeable. But, as explained already, for the clutch with a Coyote build you won't use either one. You use the one included in the Ford Performance controls pack.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul and AL. I didn't think to look at the wiring diagrams or the Ron Francis harness. I thought the FFR coyote install instructions would take precedence, but from reading posts on early Gen2 engines that required two switches I wanted to make sure.
    MK IV Roadster-Delivered Nov '18
    Complete Kit, Gen2 Coyote, TKO 600, 2015 IRS, FFR brakes, FFR power steering, Full length headers

Post Thanks / Like
    One is good, two is better, three is just right.

I made my own bracket.

(1) Brake light switch
    (2) Reverse lockout switch (T56)
    (3) Clutch safety switch