Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: front brake line routing near coyote header?

Post Thanks / Like

front brake line routing near coyote header?

My father and I are ready to begin routing brake lines on our roadster. The consensus for rear brake lines is to route them inside the pedal box because FFR's routing on the front of the pedal box panel is too close to the coyote header. For the front brake line, FFR shows routing the line along the 3/4" tube right above the headers. Is this also a concern for heat? I've attached a picture of Fixits routing as an example (Thanks John!). Does anyone have a measurement from front brake line to the top of the header (see #1 in picture)? Also, does anyone have the measurement of the header to the front of the pedal box panel (#2 in picture)? I'm curious what the difference is.

thanks

brake line clear.PNG
    Last edited by Brian76; 04-20-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    MK IV Roadster-Delivered Nov '18
    Complete Kit, Gen2 Coyote, TKO 600, 2015 IRS, FFR brakes, FFR power steering, Full length headers

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Though I'm not Ford Powered, I had concerns too so I ran the front line down the inside of the upper tube since my headers are close too.

You can see how I ran it 23-30 seconds into the attached video.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Good Luck From The Dark-Dart Side!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is NO issue with running the brake line along the 3/4" tube. The brake caliper will be 50X hotter than the air at that location. You can hold your hand 2" away from a header.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it bugs you that much run it along the bottom of the upper 3/4” tube.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

5. Likes Ducky2009 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Routing the line on the upper 3/4" tube is an option we are considering. We're trying to hide as much brake line as possible so we would prefer to route it on the lower 3/4" tube. DOT3 boiling point is 284F. Headers can reach 500-600F during normal cruising (from what I've read). Would autocrossing be 900F? Maybe the air gap is large enough to lower the temp. I'll look into heat wrap or silica sleeve for the area nearest the header just to be safe.
    Complete Kit, Gen2 Coyote, TKO 600, 2015 IRS, FFR brakes, FFR power steering, Full length headers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian76 View Post
    Thanks. Routing the line on the upper 3/4" tube is an option we are considering. We're trying to hide as much brake line as possible so we would prefer to route it on the lower 3/4" tube. DOT3 boiling point is 284F. Headers can reach 500-600F during normal cruising (from what I've read). Would autocrossing be 900F? Maybe the air gap is large enough to lower the temp. I'll look into heat wrap or silica sleeve for the area nearest the header just to be safe.
    Yes the headers can reach that temp, but the air flowing around them never will, and yes auto crossing could boil the fluid in the calipers, but that's not, always will. If you plan on racing, buy high quality brake fluid and change when needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Run it on the top of the 3/4" frame, instead of at the side, (as shown in the picture), so the frame acts as a heat shield.

Can't help with measurements as my headers are completely different.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about this? Run the brake line along the upper frame rail. They aren't the best photos, but these should give you an idea.

This approach requires a few extra bends, but it takes the header completely out of play.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Rich said the air temp where the brake line is will never get very hot even will sitting in traffic. I would be surprised if that line got above 150 degrees itself. The coyote runs pretty cool. Keeping it as is would be fine or you can run it like Al suggested, that is how I have mine ran.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    You could cover them in a heat shield sleeve for a little extra protection:

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hot-rod-sleeve
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the recent replies. As mentioned, we are considering routing the brake line on the top 3/4" tube but we prefer the lower 3/4" tube to hide brake line as much as possible in the engine compartment. More than likely this isn't an issue. But now I'm curious so I might experiment with my 87 foxbody and a IR thermometer just to see how hot the brake line material gets at various air gaps.

John, thanks for the link. I think a couple of those products would do the trick.