Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: '33 Front Suspension clearance on fan

Post Thanks / Like

'33 Front Suspension clearance on fan

I'm sure there's a post somewhere talking about this as but darned if I can find something. Feel free to point me to a thread.....

I've put together the front grill, radiator, fan assembly. I have the air conditioning condenser in the mix as well along with the Replica Parts fan shroud. These two extras push the fan further back and as you can see from the following picture, there will be interference with the bolts holding the top of the shocks to the suspension. What have others done to fix this? Notch the plastic fan piece? modify the grill mount to push the whole assembly further forward? I tried loosening the 4 grill mount screws but I can only make the problem worse.

Thanks for the help
    Steve

IMG_2786a.jpg
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Move top of grill out, turn bolts around so nuts are to fan, cut bolt to just go to end of nut. You can also trim fan housing so nuts clear.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    As above turn top shock bolts around. You would have to remove radiator if you ever had to change shocks or springs in future the way you have it now. You can also buy thin nuts and trim bolt down to nut and gain room also. There should be plenty adjustment in radiator mount to get clearance also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    I'm sure there's a post somewhere talking about this as but darned if I can find something. Feel free to point me to a thread.....

I've put together the front grill, radiator, fan assembly. I have the air conditioning condenser in the mix as well along with the Replica Parts fan shroud. These two extras push the fan further back and as you can see from the following picture, there will be interference with the bolts holding the top of the shocks to the suspension. What have others done to fix this? Notch the plastic fan piece? modify the grill mount to push the whole assembly further forward? I tried loosening the 4 grill mount screws but I can only make the problem worse.

Thanks for the help
    Steve

IMG_2786a.jpg
    Steve;
    I put a thick washer behind the radiator support bracket where it mounts to the barrel bushing bolts at the chassis.
    That moves the entire rad assy out a bit but you will have to deal with any body panels/hood etc. that end up a bit short.
    Turning those top shock bolts around is very good advice for later on.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, appreciate your answers. I was so focused on clearance with the fan I totally missed the fact that there wasn't enough room for the shock bolt to be removed in that orientation.

So I turned the bolts around, shortened them, nuts are now on the radiator side. Nuts are slightly less thickness than the head of the bolt so I gained a bit of room with that. Put in a washer exactly as Dale described above and then took a tiny bit off the plastic fan shroud in one spot. I think we'll call that done!

IMG_2793a.jpg IMG_2792a.jpg
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good!

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Canada, I had this issue way back when. I did all the stuff you did and if still hit when the wheels were off the ground. What I finally did was to remove the whole thing and recess the fan into the shroud instead of on top of it. It took a bit of of cussing and fitting but it solved the problem and functions as well or better than the original. Here''s a picture if that helps..1555989174963-743739440.jpg
    The fan is a perfect fit thickness wise. As I recall, the shroud did not need to be cut but I could be wrong. Replica parts guy could probably help out by including this in his install instructions. His shroud is great but even better with the fan on the inside

9. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used shorter bolts and thin ny-lock nuts. No spacers. Everything fits fine. Even the over flow tank. These are with the car on stands. IMG_0055.JPGIMG_0054.JPGIMG_0053.JPG
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, have you tried to install the hood hinges with this arrangement? I love the idea of the shorter bolt and thin nylock. These are very important components so I assume they will be strong enough to hold up over time. Do you remember the length of the bolts? Mcmaster carr?
    Thanks, good job.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    Cool, have you tried to install the hood hinges with this arrangement? I love the idea of the shorter bolt and thin nylock. These are very important components so I assume they will be strong enough to hold up over time. Do you remember the length of the bolts? Mcmaster carr?
    Thanks, good job.
    Tom
    Sorry I'm not using the hood, so I'm not sure. The bolts are 1 3/4" grade 8 from McMaster-Carr.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm new here, but working on the front suspension now. Is your setup closer together because of the other radiators, or are they all this close? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody know of/or capable of sharing examples of the typical clearance w/o AC?

Post Thanks / Like
    All the grill/radiator combos are pretty much the same with or without the condenser for the ac. The clearance issue addressed in this thread is due to using the fan shroud sold , I believe, by Mike Everson. His shroud moves the fan assembly back the thickness of the shroud. That 1 inch puts the grill of the fan in touch with the bolt for the upper control arm. It only contacts it when the front wheels are off the ground like on jack stands. If no shroud, no clearance. If you add the highly recommended shroud, you have options in this thread to create the clearance you need. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about it being that close to the suspension. It seems so far from it when it isn't on! :]

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had an interferecnce problem because I installed the shroud after I had already built the car so to not have to redo the angle of the grille, I eliminated the plastic fan shroud and made a mount out of metal.

20180310_152342.jpg