FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power Steering Leak

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering Leak

The one gremlin I've had on this build is a power steering fluid leak.
    After a drive, it is clear that some PS fluid is leaking, but I'm having trouble finding the source. I do have small puddles on the floor after parking, but it doesn't drain the system completely. I also see fluid splattered on the frame tubes, so I would guess that some is leaking as the car is moving.
    My hose clamps all appear to be tight and I dont see any cracks in the hoses.
    Additionally, when I was messing with it yesterday, I noticed the fluid in the reservoir was frothy.

Pump is the PS pump provided by FFR circa 2017 (not the KRC version that I believe comes now)

Any suggestions?
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Clean it really well, and then let it dry. Sprinkle the area with baby powder or corn starch. Run the engine and turn the wheel side to side. Where the powder turns dark is where the leak is.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hose clamp(s)? there should not be any hose clamps between the pump and the rack because that needs to be a high pressure rated hose connection.
    Frothing - maybe it is a high flow pump for a recirculating ball type steering. A low flow pump is used for rack and pinion. Maybe fluid is exiting the vented cap due to frothing?
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Hose clamp(s)? there should not be any hose clamps between the pump and the rack because that needs to be a high pressure rated hose connection.
    Frothing - maybe it is a high flow pump for a recirculating ball type steering. A low flow pump is used for rack and pinion. Maybe fluid is exiting the vented cap due to frothing?
    I have hose clamps on the hoses to/from the reservoir. The lines from the pump to the rack are the high pressure type with a screw on nut.
    Both the pump and the rack were a part of the FFR power steering kit, so I would hope they would be compatible with each other.
    I definitely think the frothing is causing some of the fluid to escape through the vent hole. So then the question is where is air getting into the system?

Post Thanks / Like
    My fill cap was spitting fluid out of the vent hole. Try this to check it. Take a paper towel and place the paper towel over the fill cap, hold on with a rubber band. I lowered the fluid level a little to remedy the issue. Fluid is now about 2/3 full.

Also: I added a O-Ring to the relief groove, where the vent hole goes through the cap. Not big enough to block the hole but cover most of it.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 04-22-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove for about an hour yesterday and was still leaking. There is definitely some coming out of the reservoir cap, but when I opened it after the drive it was not frothy this time. It was, however, extremely hot. My pump is also making a whining noise.

I figure my options are: replace reservoir and see if that fixes it (but skeptical this is the cause of the issue), then move on to the pump & lines. If I'm doing that, I'd like to upgrade to the KRC pump that now come with the coyote power steering kit as that seems like a much better unit. But doing that would also require new brackets, pulleys, etc.
    Other option is to ditch the hydraulic setup and go with electric power steering from epowersteering.com. I'd connect the rack lines to each other and not switch to a manual rack. This would be cheaper than an entirely new hydraulic set up and would be adjustable and eliminate the leaks for good.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    I drove for about an hour yesterday and was still leaking. There is definitely some coming out of the reservoir cap, but when I opened it after the drive it was not frothy this time. It was, however, extremely hot. My pump is also making a whining noise.

I figure my options are: replace reservoir and see if that fixes it (but skeptical this is the cause of the issue), then move on to the pump & lines. If I'm doing that, I'd like to upgrade to the KRC pump that now come with the coyote power steering kit as that seems like a much better unit. But doing that would also require new brackets, pulleys, etc.
    Other option is to ditch the hydraulic setup and go with electric power steering from epowersteering.com. I'd connect the rack lines to each other and not switch to a manual rack. This would be cheaper than an entirely new hydraulic set up and would be adjustable and eliminate the leaks for good.

Thoughts?
    What fluid are you using? Drain and replace with Honda power steering fluid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    What fluid are you using? Drain and replace with Honda power steering fluid.
    I am not using Honda, just normal PSF. The FFR manual just said "Power steering fluid".
    What is the difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    ...I'd like to upgrade to the KRC pump that now come with the coyote power steering kit as that seems like a much better unit. But doing that would also require new brackets, pulleys, etc...
    The KRC Coyote setup includes everything except the hoses. Bracket, pump, flow control valve, new water pump pulley and belt, and the latest version has an integral tank which eliminates one hose. You only have the two hoses from and to the rack, with all -AN fittings. I'd recommend also switching to the lowest rated flow control valve. Gives just the right feel. I've used this setup twice and it's top notch. I wouldn't give up on what you have too easily. But if you choose to go with KRC, it's basically a bolt-in job.

No need to debate it here, but you'll get different opinions about the add-on EPAS systems. You're frustrated with leaks right now, which I completely understand. But hydraulic PS has been done for decades and doesn't need to leak. I haven't had any leaking issues with the three systems I've installed. (Probably shouldn't say that out loud...) Honda PS fluid has been used by a number of forum members, including me, and has a reputation for running cooler. Isn't going to do anything about leaking though, obviously. Side note, KRC doesn't recommend the Honda fluid. No surprise, they recommend their own house brand.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-24-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I originally had a problem with a major leak. Don't think that's what you are describing, but.... In case it is.
    The fitting "inside" the reservoir that diverts the fluid 90 degrees (should be on the return line from the rack) came loose. The pressure was then flowing straight up, towards the cap. That emptied the reservoir completely. After in-installing the fitting and filling it back up, the fluid foamed up. After talking to a mechanic friend, he though it was possible that air was in the pump, cavitating. The suggested way to fit the problem, turn the pump "slowly" to pump the air through the system. After doing that, the foaming problem went away.

More of a question, for anyone who might know. Brake fluid comes in Dot 2, 3, 4 and 5. Higher numbers work well in higher heat applications. Is the same true for power steering fluid?
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 04-24-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The KRC Coyote setup.......... I'd recommend also switching to the lowest rated flow control valve.
    Question: Paul, or anyone, Do you know if the FFR power steering (that was supplied in 2017 era that Joel and I have) also has a Lower Rated Flow Valve?

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience w/ the Honda fluid (from the dealer not AZ) was when I started losing assist on hot days 3/4 of the way through an autocross run. Honda fixed the problem maybe 80%. A cooler was the final fix but I always use Honda fluid now.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Question: Paul, or anyone, Do you know if the FFR power steering (that was supplied in 2017 era that Joel and I have) also has a Lower Rated Flow Valve?
    I don't know for sure. As I recall, the previous PS pump (before they switched to KRC) was an older style Ford mod motor OE pump. Don't think those have changeable valves. Cutting a spring is a common mod for GM pumps. Not sure that applies to the Ford pump. A Heidts valve is another option.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    I wasn't even aware the system contained a flow valve. Is that integral to the pump?
    I have the same crappy system as you and Joel. My fitting inside the reservoir also came out recently causing total fluid loss. Power steering issues with that system seem to nag me also.

Joel I was getting a little fluid loss early on. I snugged up the fitting on the pump exit going to the rack input and that helped. Maybe give that one a turn.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the weekend, I drained my fluid and refilled with Honda fluid.
    Additionally, I moved the reservoir further off the f-panel. When I was removing the lines to drain, I noticed that the return line to the reservoir was pressed tightly against the frame rail. While not quite causing a kink, it likely impacted a clear flow - i'm thinking this could have caused additional pressure and contributed to my leak. I couldn't move the reservoir up much (hood strut interference) and moving it forward or backward created interference with the brake lines. So creating a bracket that moved it about 2" off the panel was my best option. This also created a smoother radius on the exit line from my Derale power steering cooler to the reservoir.

I did a quick neighborhood drive for a leak check and it looked fine.
    I also drove into work this morning (~40 min) and a quick inspection showed no signs of leaking or spewing. I'll do a more comprehensive review when I get home tonight, but hopefully this solved it. Thanks for the encouragement to fix it instead of replacing the system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the bracket:

It was also a great place to put my FFR VIN badge