Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  170
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pat’s Truck, back to the Turbo, see post 497

Post Thanks / Like
    Was out for a while this afternoon...when I arrived home my doors are looking pretty great 👍🏼

I guess that means tomorrow back on the cab.

177D7790-E017-48E8-B17A-E4D345FE12A4.jpg

9772B884-733C-40FC-B96C-D8877E609C13.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The doors are happily curing in my living room while Eli is working on the cab in my garage. This is because it’s only around 30 degrees for our ‘high’ here today. He was planning to have me put them out in the back yard...but it is snowing out again.
    Ha! 😄

78B58F28-0F59-42DE-9154-575128537A7B.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Still to cold for Eli to paint, a whopping high of 36F for an hour or so today and the rest was a fair bit colder. Should be quite a bit better on Monday with 55F..,which he is telling me we will go for paint! 👍🏼
    Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Post Thanks / Like
    While I’m waiting for a ‘painting day’ to arrive....as opposed to third stage winter 🤬...I ordered the door art I’ve always envisioned for ‘35.

It’s my fathers last name, the farming town I grew up in, and birth year. The remaining bit is fairly obvious...

Here is an approximation done on the white board in the garage. The lettering will all be done in brushed gold.

79F6586B-5EC6-4800-84AF-1BE2D7495FAF.jpeg

5. Likes FF33rod, ztoolman44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well...the rest of my pickup is now painted. Not a completely perfect job, but as you’ve no doubt already noticed, my build is as much Rat (Pat...?) Rod as typical FFR build. So, overall that’s fine by me...at least she’s ‘done’!!

A few progress photos plus one with the man himself, the very charismatic Eli in front of 35 below. 😁👍🏼

78DA3D4F-0429-4A26-AF68-691AB679CF31.jpeg

820F40D5-33A4-4C42-9307-78FF7C9CC780.jpeg

AEAE5B4B-BDE5-4170-BE24-9AE2357A9887.jpeg

98033EA2-C696-4A96-A7D1-18FB8E6F1C24.jpg

Tomorrow some reassembly and about a week and a half of random mechanical repairs/upgrades begins. 👌🏼
    Once again with an 88 mm Turbo, Big Block Chevy powered, ‘35 Hot Rod Pickup

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great Pat. What did you have in mind for mechanical repairs / upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy Jay!
    In no particular order:
    Finally install my larger battery, install a relay at the starter to improve the hot starting, much larger coolant reservoir tank better suited to a big block, install the wheel spacers I have laying around on the back...plus a few little tweaks along the way.

Will email you some photos later in the week. 👍🏼
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 04-27-2021 at 05:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh....and do a quick valve lash check...there are a couple of rockers on the drivers side making a little bit of noise until the coolant is up over 130 Degrees

https://youtu.be/TkSmGmxCU8c

10. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plopped the doors on with some longer 1/4 bolts last night, installed the mirrors and reinstalled my (too small for my application)
    original FFR supplied coolant overflow tank this morning. Mine is only about 12” long...I’ve seen other builds where it appears to be 16” or longer...which would be just enough for my big block.

Anyhow, felt the need for a drive around my hood on a lovely April day...so rewarding! I wasn’t stopped for one minute and a random guy was taking pictures. 👍🏼

And a note to anyone following this considering running boards....hmmmm. I’m going to run her for a while as shown in the following photo. SO much easier for ingress/egress for a tall guy like me. It’s an immense difference in how I feel I fit. And I’m kind of digging the look! 😁

195038B2-90E3-43FF-AEB9-C7ED775B7C3E.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin good!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Landymore View Post
    Howdy Matt/ztoolman44:

Thanks for your support of my seemingly radical position in “correctly” (by my thinking)...fixing the doors.

Honestly speaking for the first time; if I had known prior to ordering my ‘35 kit what I know now, I would have never ordered the FFR body parts. We had (before my sister and I sold it) plenty of 30’s and 40’s steel Ford truck parts sitting in the nearby cow pasture at our family farm. Yes, they were ratty as heck, but I always wanted a rat rod...so.. big deal to me. I never ever gave it a thought...and kudos to you Matt for thinking of it, the idea of only ordering the FFR framework kit and putting a genuine old school steel body on top of it.
    Do you know if those parts are still out in that field? I bring the trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know if those parts are still out in that field? I bring the trailer.

——-//////——-

I know the farms new owner sold the nicest cab last year. An interesting story...he sold it to the grandson of the trucks original owner whos name was still in faded paint on the drivers door. 👍🏼

The rest I’m not certain about. I’ll be driving up that way in the next few weeks for a mental health break. I’ll call the new owner and have a look around.....
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 04-29-2021 at 07:16 AM.

15. Likes ztoolman44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took 35 out to an ‘unofficial’ Hot Rod get together at a local A&W last night. She ran awesomely!! I had a lot of compliments on the FFR kit and on my particular build of it.

It was quite a large deal (~~100+ Cars?) so I didn’t stick around too long. We’re under an alert/restrictions for the 3rd wave of the virus so outdoor gatherings are supposed to be less than 10 people separated by 6ft…not several hundred generally not wearing masks and standing normally.

I was comfortable being normal type close but didn’t wait around to see if some self serving individual decided the police should know about this get together and call them….

For me it was great to be around a bunch of hot rods and people and see what others are doing 👍🏼😁

17. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s the way the passenger side door fits now…

F1D9D14C-7902-41A4-AB73-1CF8B05B414B.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s the way the door fit before…

81B0A6F8-2B16-4163-AFF0-0C56686D8AC7.jpg
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 05-05-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the past few days…aside driving the truck I’ve fabbed up a reasonably nice battery hold down for my much larger Odyssey battery, got my 3rd brake light working again (had to cut wires and remove for painting) and re-lashed all the valves. Of course one of the valve cover gaskets popped out of place during my test drive this evening…whatever…that’s tomorrow Pats problem!
    LOL 😂

7DB71A7D-40D2-418F-92EF-11223D9C3362.jpg

4F490321-8189-45E0-B863-7C819DD6E21B.jpg

8150DA1D-F5BF-4282-85EB-63503EB58B72.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    As I clear the various remaining tasks from the white board in the garage, 35 gets closer to being back up for sale again.

Yesterday’s work involved repairing the leaky valve cover, removing the original overflow tank and then determining where to mount the new big block sized 2 qt one. Once done I fabbed up a mounting bracket and lit up the MIG welder. It looks ok. Have a small leak from where I tapped the side to the tank to 1/8 NPT…will repair that this morning and then continue down the list….

Interesting coincidence…after giving a buddy a white knuckle ride in 35 last night, we walked over to a local pub. While walking, there in the middle of the road was a square plastic plug. No kidding it fits the top of my mounting bracket perfectly. Was wondering what to do about that! Sometimes the hot rodding gods are smiling! 😁

EA54E162-F112-4C3F-A4A5-375C26DC0555.jpg

E8788ABA-6260-4150-BBCB-39FC246410FE.jpeg

37DC92B7-21FD-4261-BC30-B2F4FD2352F0.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Congradulations Pat. I have been, what I thought was, about two weeks away from paint for the last six months; and I need to find a fiberglass guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike!

With all the watercraft and Corvettes I imagine being in Florida, would have thought finding ‘a guy’ would be no problemo. But of course there is quality and price…. Good luck in finding someone to help!

Remaining tasks on my whiteboard…too many it seems! 😆

92377C63-415A-4046-9034-8968941A0809.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed my quieter exhaust system late yesterday…the stubby 3-1/2” system I had on there suits the truck and is a blast to drive around with…but…is a wee bit too loud for getting out of a nice quiet neighborhood. That said, if I’m heading to a Rod run I’ll be reinstalling it…3 Vee band clamps and it’s swapped.

So from this (loud all the time)… 😁

F6356EF1-4573-4E2C-B19A-6C55634AEC61.jpg

…To this (relatively quiet till 3-4 psi boost)…in 15-20 minutes of easy work…

599B4F61-328C-45BF-9962-C58F6351FE0B.jpg

Today’s chore….installing a jukebox. Just an amplifier, speakers and an MP3 connection…good enough!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKJyceos1A

Somehow after that it seemed flooded and didn’t want to start. Will pull the software and take a look at it in the morning. Think it was too much key on time combined with residual fuel pressure caused it to flood a bit.

Hopefully……

25. Likes ztoolman44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So after pulling the tune file to my laptop, using the monitor function to check on cranking signals and lastly pulling the coil wire and looking for spark…it appears the separate coil amplifier for the Super Sniper has left the party. Gee…only 180 miles on the truck and the darned things list for $114.00 USD. 🧐

Makes me wonder if I could use an old STOCK GM HEI module as a replacement…would likely be more stable and less prone to dying.

Sigh…
    Will look around locally tomorrow to see if by chance anyone in my city stocks one.

Hopefully I’m right!

Post Thanks / Like
    So I called the two biggest speed shops in my city of 1.6 Million yesterday…no surprise that neither stock the module. But then they tell me it will be up to 5 weeks!! Huh 🤔??

They both told me Holley has an earliest availability date of May 20th, then they need to place a special order so another 2-3 weeks after that for it to arrive. They also told me of huge back orders for all kinds of EFI hardware from all the major suppliers…MSD, Holley, FAST etc. Seems like it’s a plague of a new type beginning to hit the economy.

I go on Summits website, it’s in stock there, so ordered it.

And then these local businesses wonder why people don’t like dealing with them….

The module should arrive by Friday so will work on weatherstripping etc in the meantime.
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 05-11-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, sorry I didn't see this sooner Pat. If you're talking about the separate little module that comes with the Sniper, I have one I didn't use as I used the full Hyperspark setup. If you or anyone reading this needs one in the future give me a shout it's yours for postage...

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve! I may need it as Summit hasn’t shipped yet…I’m wondering if they thought they have inventory they actually don’t…..

I’ll PM you in another day if it doesn’t ship today.

Cheers!
    Pat

30. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So 35 seems to be running again…started her up for a minute or two last night…she was rotten with unburned fuel throughout the engine and exhaust. 😵*

Had to take the dash out to replace the module…but now I no longer trust them have moved it to a readily accessible location on the firewall…complete with bullet style quick connects and Velcro mounting for a max two minute swap out.

504A9EE2-3550-4089-8FA6-9ACD3B279FA6.jpg

60E0566B-2001-4406-993B-F5A20DA942F9.jpg

Did a ton of research on the HEI modules and was surprised to learn they had automatic RPM based dwell control. Dang GM had some brilliant engineers back then. 👍🏼👍🏼 (And more recently, of course the entire LSx design team…)

Have borrowed a pals dwell meter and will put that on 35 today to determine if Holley has ‘cloned’ (sic) the HEI module. Combined with using my oscilloscope at the same time should be some really fun learning.

Bottom line…I’ll bet an HEI module will make an awesome 2nd tier standby.

Why do I think it failed…??

There is zero heat sinking capacity with the all plastic Holley module. The primary coil resistance they specify (potentially) puts the coil current at around 15 ++ Amps. No wonder it fried!! I switched out to a Pertronix coil with similar HV output but a coil resistance that puts the maximum primary amperage at around 7.5 Amps max. Time will tell but I believe I’m correct.
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 05-16-2021 at 02:57 PM.

32. Likes RuffShod, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s a couple of quick videos showing me testing.

Explanations are in the explanation tab in the video unfortunately a bit mixed up between the two but I’m not going back into the app this evening to fix it. 😁

https://youtu.be/yx6SSK1aL4g

https://youtu.be/PBoJwvTK4fY
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 05-17-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just discovered I had the meter set on Hz not duty cycle in the first video. Oops 😬
    Second one is fine.

Here is a corrected video to replace the first. Also corrected the info in the others.

https://youtu.be/cNTfeg20hZM

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you to FF33rod, Steve, for mailing me his extra coil driver module. You are a class act sir!

It arrived today and is already prepared for a spare…kinda anticipating that I’ll eventually need it.

I’ve had lots of both private and public messages from many folks on the FFR forum, plus a fair bit of correspondence with FFR staffers. Classy people all…I’m grateful to be included in this community! 😊

Here’s a photo of Steve’s module as my (likely) needed back up. 👍🏼

61EAC994-2F01-4E02-BC63-03E32CD36A73.jpg

36. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A quick update….I’ve done pretty much S.F.A. on 35 I’m the past two weeks. I know I’m ignoring it but honestly it seems there are places in the puzzle of building one of these vehicles where that is likely the best medicine!

We have almost a week of cooler rainy weather ahead…by then I think I’ll be ready to get back working again.

38. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been checking your thread almost every day wondering “what happened to Pat?”. I thought perhaps you became addicted to driving the Vette in this nice weather. Looking forward to some more updates.
    Cheers,
    Jay

40. Thanks Pat Landymore thanked for this post
    Likes Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Jay you’re quite correct…been driving Vettesky as my daily for over a month now, sun, rain or on a few days…snow.

What an awesome and capable car!

Cheers,
    Pat
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 06-02-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    FD3FA04C-100D-4C21-84D3-03D66CE1C76F.jpg

Photo taken just before heading out for a coffee… 👍🏼😁

Post Thanks / Like
    In some ways lately I’m already thinking past selling my 35 and into the next project….

A couple of contenders come to mind:

-any 1966-1970 Valiant (hopefully a 4 door) swapped to turbo LS power as a gift to (ok…all my work would be a gift) my Sister. She’s always wanted a hot rodded valiant or duster.
    …or,

-yet another Foxbody Mustang (or an SN95)…but swapped to a twin turbo blow thru-carb LA Mopar driveline. How out of the box would that be? 😁

Yes, I know, I’m one of those counter culture guys, but that’s what makes me tick the best 😃

44. Likes ztoolman44, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 door Valiant wagon with an LS would be my choice.

But I'm the guy putting a SBF in a classic Chevy so what do I know? LOL

46. Likes Pat Landymore, RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha!
    I agree on the Valiant. Biggest issue is my Sis lives in BC so I believe the best path forward would be to find a running, registered BC vehicle and drive it to Alberta to modify. But most Mopar guys seem to believe that anything related to the Pentastar is made out of pixie dust and worth more than gold. Ha!

The likelihood of finding a decent chassis at a price she’s willing to pay is fairly low I’m thinking…..
    Much easier in AB to buy one but then there’s the out of province and ‘welcome to BC taxes’ once completed.

Ie. the mopar powered Mustang is way more likely happen first 😁
    Cheers,
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Fox body mustangs are pretty spendy too and finding a solid one in BC is next to impossible. And as you said, building a Mopar engine won't be cheap either.

I imported my '36 and it wasn't that bad of a process. Just have to pay taxes on the vehicle value. I bought my donor mustang, pulled the drive train and slapped the motor, trans and rear into the truck with 2x4s and ratchet straps and brought it all across as one vehicle. The bed was full of spare parts.

I would consider buying something rust free from the south (Utah, Arizona, California, New Mexico, Nevada). The money saved in rust repair will offset the import fees by a significant margin. Pick up the LS and assorted parts while you are there and slip them in before you bring it across.

I have no problems spending other's money, just let me know if you need more ideas. lol

49. Thanks Pat Landymore thanked for this post
    Likes Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problems spending other's money, just let me know if you need more ideas. lol”

I’m r.o.t.f.l.!!! 🤣🤣
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 06-10-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That said I’ll keep your good advice about possibly importing a rust free example in mind. 👍🏼👍🏼

Post Thanks / Like
    So, after almost two months of not posting…I’m still not ready to do much of anything on ‘35. Still super disgusted with a few things on this project…so when I’m finally ready to just hold my nose, do some “farmer fixes” and forget what I did to remedy them…it will happen. Never forgetting that the best farmer fixes are the ones no one can spot! LOL 😂

Have occasionally started her up to recharge the battery, listen to that beautiful turbocharged big block lope…and circulate fluids.

The good news is I still own it and will post more videos and info in (hopefully…) the not to distant future.

I think one more trip somewhere this summer in the Corvette and I’ll be ready to go back into mechanic mode.
    Cheers all,
    🍻
    Pat 👍🏼😊

53. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh…and referencing a rather earlier post…I’ve purchased a beautiful little V6 2003 Mustang with around 75,000 miles. Just a sweet little car as my ‘new to me’ daily driver…for now. Ha!
    My mind reels at the engine swapping possibilities that await me in a year or two…
    😁😁

189CD9D0-45CA-48CC-B695-3089652A08E3.jpg

55. Likes FF33rod, ztoolman44 liked this post
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast