FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ABS updates? Anyone have it working?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

Any ABS updates? Anyone have it working?

I've read through literally all of the ABS threads in this subforum, and I've been keeping up on most of the build threads for a few months now. I'm still unsure as to how doable it is.

From what I understand, Wayne may be the only person to have done it on a car that is currently running and driving. However, I don't see any update in his thread about how/if it is working or what he had to do to the software to make it work; there is just one post that shows the ABS valve body plumbed in.

Having read all the ABS threads and having a basic understanding of ABS, it all seems pretty straight forward to me with one exception: Different diameter wheels and tires between the front and back. I have read the talk here and on other forums that this will cause problems in the ABS computer (which makes sense) but that this issue can perhaps be adjusted in the ABS controller. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, what is involved in doing it? Is it something you could do with an AccessPort?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was planning on incorporating ABS in my build but just recently decided against it. My reason was that when I researched the ABS from my year donor (2002) there was nothing but problems related to it. They even had some kind of recall. I also read that it was corrected in later years. The problem was that it would activated (prematurly)during braking if you hit a bump while braking and would not stop unless you reapplied the brake. Many people described it like loosing the brakes altogether. I never found any information on reflashing it or adjusting sensitivity. If I had a newer year donor I would have probably used them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using ABS. After plugging in everything, the ABS light on the dash went out, so at least the internal checks are passing. Plumbing was pretty straight forward. I put the g sensor on the floor at the rear of the center console. The forward foot on the 1" lateral square tube behind the seat, the rear foot on the floor where the stock gas tank would sit. The g sensor isn't required for ABS to work I believe, but is needed for the higher functions to work like electronic brake distribution maybe even some traction control functions. I started with same diameter wheels all around to be sure, but if it is determined a small difference doesn't seem to affect operation, I'll likely go up a size in the back to aim for a larger contact patch and lower revs. For the small differences in tire sizes pretty much everyone is talking about, the guys who would know are assuring us not to worry. I'm not on the road yet, but I'll report back when I am. Figured the dash idiot light going out was worth mentioning. My donor is an 07
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    I kept the ABS and I have go-karted for 2 miles around the neighborhood but I have not yet been able to try a skidding panic stop to test the ABS. I've got plenty of power but not enough space . . . yet. It's back in the garage for some wiring work now but soon I'll scare the neighbors with some hard stops to try the ABS. Stay tuned.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys. My donor is a 2007 so it shouldn't have the ABS issues that bother the older models.

For those that do have it working, please post front vs rear tire diameters. I'd like to know how much variance is acceptable without having to mess with the ABS control module programming.

Also, can you defeat traction control with an Access Port?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. My donor is a 2007 so it shouldn't have the ABS issues that bother the older models.
    For those that do have it working, please post front vs rear tire diameters. I'd like to know how much variance is acceptable without having to mess with the ABS control module programming.
    Also, can you defeat traction control with an Access Port?
    I have not yet seen anyone who pulled the flash images off the exiting ABS controller. It should be possible as the ABS controller does SSM2, and the Subaru Select Monitor shows a 'programming ABS' option. If someone has a Subaru Select they can play with I can get a capture of the flash protocol.

If I recall correctly there is no 'traction control' on the 07 WRX. The 08 STI and WRX added the traction control and VDC system (Which can still be disabled via a button). In the case of the 08 STI, the TC system is controlled by the ABS system, and the ABS system calls for reduction in torque from the ECU via CAN bus. The ECU by default uses throttle control to reduce output torque, and currently the access port does not have the ability to edit those maps and algorithms. The VDC system uses the ABS system to apply paratial brake pressure to specific wheels based on yaw, accel sensor, steering angle sensor, and a few other things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. Steering angle sensor. I wonder if mine is centered, assuming it is in the steering wheel area? No wires anywhere else. I wonder what the chances are the wheels were centered when it was removed from the donor? I remember putting it on centered and was careful not to turn it while it was off the car. Something else to research.
    Rich

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Jeff. Messing with the ABS programming seems like it might be complicated but if that's what has to be done then that's what has to be done. I wonder how much of a difference in tire diameter the stock system will take and still function properly without throwing a code? I'm hoping 24" in front and 25" in back will be ok. I'm pretty sure that is the maximum variation most 818 owners will have so if that works, then everyone should be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    It occurs to me that people put different wheel & tire sizes on modern cars all the time, including WRX's, and I've never seen on any forum anyone complain or search for a solution to ABS issues caused by mismatched diameters. Its entirely possible this is a big deal and I've just never heard of it. But I'm thinking its not really a problem.

People have also worried/speculated that since 818 is radically changing the weight and more importantly weight distribution, and wheelbase, etc, it will cause issues trying to run ABS. But I'm thinking a skidding wheel is a skidding wheel. ABS senses it regardless of any of those factors. I suppose its possible the way it tries to unlock the wheel won't be ideal, the frequency of pulses used, etc, due to those factors. But its still got to be better than no ABS at all (for the reasons/circumstances one would want ABS on a car like this, which, yes, all you driving purists, there are still good reasons for it. Especially since disabling it can be a button press away.)

As for traction control, on another, not WRX related forum I frequent, owners there report good results reprogramming the ECU not to cut power when traction control engages. The ABS still does its thing to apply individual brake to make directional corrections, but power is not reduced. This somewhat diminishes the effect of traction control, which can be good or bad depending on circumstances. But the key is it doesn't affect power output. Not sure if that is possible (or useful) with WRX powertrain (or if it would be different with that powertrain in an 818.) Something to think about I suppose.
    Last edited by Oppenheimer; 08-08-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob put a helpful excerpt from a subie manual on my build thread at post 55, page 2 I think. It mentioned the ABS kicks in at 8% wheels speed difference. Figure out wheel speed differences for your staggered setup and run the percentage. Leave room wheel speed differences for tight bends in the road.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Phoenix/page2
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff - I know the STI came with the steering angle sensor but looking over the WRX wiring diagram i did not see one as part of the system. I have switched my ABS pump to a non STI one and am incorporating the components/changes to the STI wiring.

Am i wrong in thinking that the steering angle sensor is a STI only component? As well as the yaw sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by sponaugle View Post
    I have not yet seen anyone who pulled the flash images off the exiting ABS controller. It should be possible as the ABS controller does SSM2, and the Subaru Select Monitor shows a 'programming ABS' option. If someone has a Subaru Select they can play with I can get a capture of the flash protocol.

If I recall correctly there is no 'traction control' on the 07 WRX. The 08 STI and WRX added the traction control and VDC system (Which can still be disabled via a button). In the case of the 08 STI, the TC system is controlled by the ABS system, and the ABS system calls for reduction in torque from the ECU via CAN bus. The ECU by default uses throttle control to reduce output torque, and currently the access port does not have the ability to edit those maps and algorithms. The VDC system uses the ABS system to apply paratial brake pressure to specific wheels based on yaw, accel sensor, steering angle sensor, and a few other things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    Jeff - I know the STI came with the steering angle sensor but looking over the WRX wiring diagram i did not see one as part of the system. I have switched my ABS pump to a non STI one and am incorporating the components/changes to the STI wiring.

Am i wrong in thinking that the steering angle sensor is a STI only component? As well as the yaw sensor.
    Looking into this more and rereading the post you were referring to, I believe you to be correct, and Sponaugle. He mentions, and I forgot this by the time I got that far into the post , 08 onward using steering angle with the introduction of traction control and vcd. So, 07, my year, and prior WRX's will not have a steering angle sensor for that. Finally, looking over the wiring diagrams, and to be clear I am not an electrical engineer, it appears only STIs have a steering angle sensor which is not used by the ABS system, but rather with the DCCD system running the center diff. That's what I came up with anyway. Looking for connector B426, I came up empty on my car. I checked the wire colors to be sure. At one point, I had the immobilizer antenna that surrounds the ignition switch marked as B426, but later corrected it. I guess that plug is STI only.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, Good to have an extra eye on it. Now as far as G sensors go on a WRX; is there 2 or one? One in the center console and one up front?

Post Thanks / Like
    That I know of, yes. The center console for ABS and brake distribution logic. Then one inside the airbag module as a check against the crash sensors. Both, airbag g sensor and a crash sensor must trip to get an airbag to deploy. There are four crash sensors, 2 in front, then 1 each B pillar. I've heard those referred to as g sensors too, so trying to be thorough. As a ridiculous relatively new dad, airbags are on my wish list, but I have no idea if I'll get the system to work yet. Ridiculous, I know, lol, I blame the daddy instincts.
    Rich

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting..... do you know if you can get away with just having the center console G-sensor in place, for ABS, or do you need to hook the ABS into the airbag module in order for the ABS light to stay off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Airbag module is not needed for ABS. Once I plugged the center console g sensor in and all 4 corner wheel sensors, my ABS light went out. The g sensor in the airbag module is just to check and verify the crash sensors.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I need help with the ABS system. I have not driven the car to determine if the ABS is working but I know the Park Brake light and the ABS light on the combination meter are "ON". Both these lamps are driven by the ABS controller. Pin 8 must be pulled low to turn "OFF" the Parking Brake Warning Light. Pin 22 must be pulled low to turn "OFF" the ABS Warning Light. I have tested the wiring by jumping these pins to ground (at the ABS controller connector) and the lamps go off as they should so the wiring is OK. The ABS Controller is not pulling these signals low for some reason.

I have tested the input wiring to the ABS controller and all appears to be working properly. Specifically,

A. I monitored each wheel speed sensor at the ABS controller connector while rotating the tires and could observe the frequency input correctly for each wheel.

B. I checked each wire from the G sensor to the ABS controller connector and it is wired correctly. Then I checked the open circuit impedance from the ABS Controller connector between pins 10 and 21. I measured 3.7 K-ohm which is perfect.

So — no problem with the inputs or wiring. The problem has to be the ABS controller itself.

I do not have access to a Subaru Select Monitor but I have a generic scanner (Snap-On Ethos). The scanner allows me to select whether I want to monitor the (1) Engine, (2) Transmission, (3) Antilock Brakes, (4) Airbag.

When I select “Antilock Brakes”, I am asked to select the transmission “AT or MT”. After selecting the transmission, I am taken to the “Main Menu (ABS)”. From here I can select:

Data (No Codes)
    Codes Only
    Clear Codes

After selecting “Codes Only”, I have to select if I want to see “Current Codes” or “History Codes”. In both cases the scanner reports

***No Current DTC’s Present***”, or
    ***No History DTC’S Present***

However, when I try to look at the live data, the scanner reports that it is “collecting data” then flashes an error message too briefly to read it and then starts over. Bottom line, I can’t read the data and I question the lack of reported DTC’s.

I desperately need to read the data. Does anyone have a solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you hear the headlight relays when operating the ebrake, then the abs system is very likely holding you back, as you surmised. I had both (ABS and brake) lights until plugging in my wheel speed sensors. Then they both went away. Besides the obvious checking each plug for corrosion, did any particular corner get hit on your donor? Perhaps the wheel sensor in that corner has a little damage causing an intermittent failure? Do you have a meter that can sense a short duration abnormality in the wheel speed sensor output. Could be a spot to focus on?
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Is your brake fluid reservoir level sensor plugged in? Deleted? If deleted, how did you delete it? I believe open circuit was the satisfactory condition to make the light happy.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Subaru manual is not 100% accurate. The Subaru manual showed a “Reversing Circuit” in the input from the parking brake switch and the brake fluid level switch but this is not correct. Following is a corrected sketch (See Attached JPG).

Note that the inputs function as follows:

Parking Brake Switch -- Low to turn “Parking Brake Warning Lamp” ON

Brake Fluid Level Switch --Low to turn “Parking Brake Warning Lamp” ON

Generator Switch -- Low to turn “Charge Warning Lamp” and “Parking Brake Warning Lamp” ON

Pin 8 of ABS Controller -- Low to turn "Parking Brake Warning Lamp" OFF

Pin 22 of ABS Controller -- Low to turn “ABS Warning Lamp” OFF

I have confirmed the circuits function as described above (and shown in the sketch) and I have tested all the inputs including the brake fluid level switch. The only problem is that the ABS controller is not pulling Pin 8 or Pin 22 to the low state.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Bob and Mikes ABS status

Currently we have our abs plumbed but not wired electrically.
    We have done about 75 autocross runs and paid particular attention to our braking.

Our Setup:
    We are running square brakes. What I mean by that is that we are running the same calipers on all four wheels.
    Four front dual piston (1.685 dia) sliding calipers (not brembo).
    Front rotor 24x294mm (11.57") ventilated
    Rear rotor 18x290mm (11.42") ventilated
    StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads,Para-Aramid Material (no fade)
    No proportional valve.
    No power brake booster.
    Subaru oem dual master cylinder
    pivot point on brake pedal moved up 3/4"

Our theory:
    Front engine cars are heavy in front and weight shift to the front during heavy braking. They have twice the weight on the front wheels during braking compared to the rear so the front brakes are twice as big as the rear.
    The 818 is rear heavy and has a low center of gravity. The rear is heavier than the front and with the low CG only a small amount is shift to the front wheels. I estimated that the weight was the same on all four wheels during braking.

Our Results:
    During running on the course we have seen very little lock up. I estimate 60mph to 30mph hard transitions going into turns.
    During the stop after the finish line we were simulating panic stops at 80 mph. The rear tires would bark just for an instant then grip. The car stops very quickly with full friction on all 4 tires.

Conclusion:
    Our setup is very close now. So no priority to do anything right away.
    Option 1: Ditch the ABS unit and add Proportional valve (95% open) to the rear brakes.
    Option 2: Wire up ABS unit.

Note: We had to do some custom fabrication (drilling and grinding) to use front calipers on the rear.

Let me know if you have questions.
    Bob

big brakes.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you guys have a good handle on your car's current braking abilities and tendencies, Bob. Have you done any trail braking on the track with it? On a more unrelated note, I'm also curious how the car responds when you lift in a turn?

How difficult would it be to wire up the ABS/EBD unit and give it a try? Could solve the (not so serious) rear brake issue for you and add some stability when braking on mixed surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I have not driven the car yet, my running "go cart" does have the Subaru ABS system installed. Only problem we have run into so far was a constantly lit ABS fault light in the combination meter (gauges). After much research and diagnosis, we finally determined that the brake light switch must be functional, and the stop light bulbs must be wired and installed. Then you can clear the fault codes at pin six of the ABS diagnosis connector (B82).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    Sounds like you guys have a good handle on your car's current braking abilities and tendencies, Bob. Have you done any trail braking on the track with it? On a more unrelated note, I'm also curious how the car responds when you lift in a turn?
    How difficult would it be to wire up the ABS/EBD unit and give it a try? Could solve the (not so serious) rear brake issue for you and add some stability when braking on mixed surfaces.
    Hi Turbo Guy,
    Michael and I have 2 different driving styles.
    I brake for the appropriate speed for the turn then coast through the turn.
    Michael waits longer to brake, using the brake to plant the front end for turn in. (Michael is faster)

Your question "I'm also curious how the car responds when you lift in a turn?" we are usually not in the gas in the turn unless it is a long sweeper or slalom. If the back end kicks out in a turn, it is quick. Some times lifting saves it, sometimes not, stay in the gas and drifting out has worked also.

Biggest problem is getting into the gas coming out of the turn. If the turbo (td04) kicks in before you are straight, your going around. We are going to try bigger rear tires at lower pressure to correct this.

Our 04 forester XT did not have EBD.
    It would take 2 days to build the abs harness and another day to install.
    Getting it working may be another issue. Our ABS had a CAN bus communications to the automatic transmission TCM (deleted). No telling How it will react to that.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-15-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have my car up and running with a full STI swap. I did use a WRX ABS pump and got rid of the steering position sensor and DCCD connection.

I did not hook up the proportioning valve. The front tires lock up. I dont feel like its braking the way it should. Gearing down has the greatest effect on braking. Any suggestions on what to try out?

ABS light is on BTW

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob what rear rotors are you running?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    Bob what rear rotors are you running?
    CENTRIC Part # 12147025
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...296&cc=1435927
    $18.58 at rock auto
    There is a couple of issues I had to address on this mod.
    The rotor is 1/4" thinner than the front rotor. So I added a 1/4" plate to the back of the outside pad.
    Also the pad hangs off the top of the rotor by 3/8". I may do some more customization to the pads.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, was it not possible to locate the new rear calipers such that you could use rotors identical to the fronts?

I had the same thoughts on the brake system and I'm glad someone is ahead of me in validating the theory that much more rear brake is not a waste.

It would be great to see you get the ABS system functional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    Bob, was it not possible to locate the new rear calipers such that you could use rotors identical to the fronts?
    I had the same thoughts on the brake system and I'm glad someone is ahead of me in validating the theory that much more rear brake is not a waste. It would be great to see you get the ABS system functional.
    It would be much easier if I was willing to get rid of the ebrake. Then I could put front rotors on all four wheels.
    I still might do that but I would add a small caliper style ebrake.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all so I don't remember reading this some ware but is there a specific modle year I should avoid
    if I plan to use ABS. I believe it was 2002 but does this apply also to 2003 wrx.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody has this working yet?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least two people have it installed, but no one has tested and replied back with results yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    My ABS works great! As I posted in the brake line thread, though I'm not licensed I tried 8 hard stops from 60 mph on the private streets of my neighborhood. (No complaints . . . yet) It stops very quickly, stays straight with no skidding, and I can feel the pulsating of the ABS. My 818S has stock 06 WRX calipers, master, ABS module and stock/dieted wiring to ECU and wheels. I have a proportioning valve on each front brake line but so far both are set to full open. The fronts grabbed evenly and I couldn't tell how much the rears were contributing but they didn't squeal. I'm happy because if the ABS didn't work I don't know where I would start trouble shooting!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, thanks for the followup. So we have two confirmed people with working and tested ABS now. One with OEM brake line and sensor routing using two front prop valves, and one with switched routing of brake lines and sensors so one master cylinder feed line controls the front brakes and has a single prop valve between the master and ABS module.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make that 3.
    Mine is working and tested.
    06 WRX, two proportioning valves on front wheels, STI calipers on front, WRX rear. Stainless lines
    I have a switch to turn ABS off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    Make that 3.
    Mine is working and tested.
    06 WRX, two proportioning valves on front wheels, STI calipers on front, WRX rear. Stainless lines
    I have a switch to turn ABS off.
    Any way you can post pictures of the way your routed the lines around on the front?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check my build thread - I have pics of all the brake line routing, including ABS and dual proportioning valves.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post209137
    Last edited by Hindsight; 02-10-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more to add: svl-818&p=181252
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys after hearing the results of having the proportioning valves wide open,I decided to run ABS without the valves, so I have the stock hydraulic system. With my front mount tank weight is more up front.
    The brakes are Wilwood 12 up front and the 12.125 on the rear. Not driving yet but very close.
    Four wheel sensors to wire ,then a few items on the punch list before carting, weather being the major set back its still cold up here. Some pictures of the ABS unit and lines.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast