BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: RHD JDM donor?

Post Thanks / Like

RHD JDM donor?

I’m a noobie to this forum so I apologize if this has been asked many times....
    Can I use a right hand Japanese WRX donor for my 818C left hand drive build? Are all the donor parts compatible? Even the steering column?
    Thanks.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PDogg View Post
    I’m a noobie to this forum so I apologize if this has been asked many times....
    Can I use a right hand Japanese WRX donor for my 818C left hand drive build? Are all the donor parts compatible? Even the steering column?
    Thanks.....
    Just thinking about it.
    The steer column should be fine.
    The steering rack will be a problem, but easy to find at junk yard.
    Pedal assembly might be a problem, but easy to find at junk yard.
    The big problem might be the FFR exhaust doesn't work with a turbo mounted on the left side of the car.
    Bob

Correction. it appears the turbo is in the standard location. I thought the exhaust would interfere with the steering column.
    turbo.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 04-25-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a steering rack that I will donate* to a good cause (tossed the pedals, though). *shipping is on you.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set of pedals from a 06 wrx that I could donate as well if you pay for shipping.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a pedal box for an 06 WRX I could donate.

I would like to ask about DSR's steering rack if it's not donated already. Mine has a bent tie rod.

It's nice that we live close...I would also like to check out your 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well....that’s great to hear!
    So, maybe I can use the Japanese car! Much cheaper. I’m surprised nobody on this forum has done that before!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PDogg View Post
    Well....that’s great to hear!
    So, maybe I can use the Japanese car! Much cheaper. I’m surprised nobody on this forum has done that before!?
    where do you go to buy a right drive jdm wrx?
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 04-25-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I too am interested in where you are getting your JDM car. Are you getting the entire car or just the front clip from a JDM importer? I've seen them selling clips, usually from the A pillar forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some issues going with a JDM donor. The ECU's don't play well together. iWire and I had a discussion about this which made me decide to go with a USDM car, harness and ECU.

For reference.
    https://youtu.be/3ZwcQRsUI2M

Post Thanks / Like
    Www.b-pro.ca
    They currently have a pretty big inventory in Montreal,Quebec. Mostly low km and pretty cheap. Full vehicles not front clips. All right hand drive of course...
    Check it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I think they will import any vehicle you want as long as you put a $1000 down payment up front.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I go that way I assumed I’d use the ECU and wiring harness that comes with the engine to avoid compatibility problems. Just not sure if the JDM engine will bolt right in to the Factory Five 818kit like the American donor engine will? In other words...are the mounts in the exact same spots and the down pipe in the same place.....etc

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine mounts are definitely in the same spots. Can't speak to the down pipe, but you should be able to check that by looking up the part numbers for the down pipe for the USDM and JDM pieces, if they are the same your golden!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a JDM header, Up-pipe and twin scroll turbo/turbo mount on my USDM engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used an Australian delivered wrx to build my RHD car. The Aussie and JDM cars are basically the same.
    ECU's are different part numbers than the equivalent US model
    Off-the-shelf ECU tunes are different too (higher octane fuel) but there have been a fair few developed, so they are available.
    My JDM pedals didn't fit the RHD 818 chassis. RHD customers paid an $800 premium for the kit, and then the parts didn't fit anyway From memory the mods weren't major to get them to fit. Shouldn't be a problem for you if you can get LHD pedals anyway
    Wiring diagrams are hard to get for the RHD WRX's, I never managed to get one that exactly matched my 2006 donor.
    I dieted the original harness, and it was quite stressful because if I made a mistake, there wasn't a diagram to fall back on
    Generally the suspension parts should be quite useful, and because they come from unsalted roads are generally rust free too
    I did a custom exhaust, so I can't confirm that the FFR one would fit a LHD car, but my guess is it would be OK
    Speedometer is likely to be in km's, not sure if that's a problem to you
    Last edited by DodgyTim; 05-03-2019 at 12:40 AM.

16. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post