Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Body - On and Off

Post Thanks / Like

Body - On and Off

I've had the body hanging from my garage ceiling during my build. I'm to the point where I need to put it on and take it off (at least a few times) to check clearances, etc. I have friends that can help but they never seem to be available exactly when I need them. Has anyone come up with a way to make the body mounting and removal a one man job? I seem to recall seeing pictures of someone rigging up a system to accomplish this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did something similar to what others have shown. Four screws eyes into ceiling joists and used rope hangars on each corner. Able to install and remove by myself. The rope hangars were from Home Depot, and I think intended for bike storage or whatever. 150-200 lbs capacity each as I recall. They're also available in multiple sizes on-line, including Amazon.

Last edited by edwardb; 04-25-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Likes rsw81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In case it's helpful, these are the ones that I bought on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had seen Edwardb's photos (shown above) in his build thread and figured those looked like very handy little pulleys to have around and wanted a few. It took me a lot of searching on various terms on Amazon to finally find them. They're apparently intended to hang grow lights.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have done it a few times by myself. Used ropes like EduardB. I also made a fixture to hold the bottom edges apart to get over the door area frames. I think Jeff Kleiner uses some PVC to accomplish the same thing. I used a couple of 2x4's in the hood opening and the trunk opening to hold the rope pulleys. Don't rush it, just go nice and slow.

Also, it's easier with the front tires out of the way. You can take them off, or I just jack the front of the car up some and take most of the weight off the front suspension. That way the tires go down in relation to the chassis, and then the body clears the tires as it settles down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 04-25-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

6. Likes rsw81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Similar to the others but used only two ceiling pullys. One in front and one in the rear. The front I attached similar to others, the rear through the roll bar holes. I have handled the body with two lines and tied them off to something heavy or non-movabe when I needed to work around fitting the body around the chassis. Once the front is somewhat in place you can tie that line off and working with the rear line fit the rear down into place. I've done this at least ten times. The body is not that heavy just awkward.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew there would be a day that my kids would come in handy.

I found it!
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    O. M. G. ! That is quite a “fixture” to hold the bottom edges out. Seriously very impressive.

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    O. M. G. ! That is quite a “fixture” to hold the bottom edges out. Seriously very impressive.

Kurt
    Yeah, I think I'm gunna change my middle name to Overkill. It works pretty good. Makes it a true one man show. Like I said, I'm pretty sure Kleiner props a 1 or 1 1/2 inch piece of PVC pipe against the frame to accomplish the same thing of holding the bottom edge of the body off of the chassis/frame. At least I think it was him. Either way, it eliminates having to have two sets of hands hold the bottom edges out and guide it over the chassis, either going on or coming off.
    Last edited by boat737; 04-25-2019 at 11:41 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I fly solo on the R&R all the time. Pick the body up, drive/roll the chassis out, roll the buck in and lower it---or vice-versa. It's about a 10 minute process.

Rather than a pulley system I just use friction lock tie down straps and work each corner individually. As boat 737 mentioned I nest a piece of PVC with 45 degree elbow in the door hinges to keep the lower body spread as it goes up or down---simple methods for my simple mind

Jeff

joeldbodyon1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Rather than a pulley system I just use friction lock tie down straps and work each corner individually. As boat 737 mentioned I nest a piece of PVC with 45 degree elbow in the door hinges to keep the lower body spread as it goes up or down---simple methods for my simple mind

Jeff

joeldbodyon1.jpg
    Excellent idea on the PVC! Couldn't have been more timely. Thanks for sharing.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally get the PVC and other aids people come up with. Great idea(s), especially if it's something you do a lot. In my pictures (post #2) you can see I wrapped the hinge area with a layer of towels. (Really ugly ones from trade shows back in my working for a living days, that we won't use for anything else BTW.) With the ratcheting pulleys, it's easy to walk around lowering a little at a time and spreading the body as it goes down. Still a one person show. The towels keep everything protected just fine. Also doesn't hurt to repeat here to put some protection over the rear trunk side bulb seals as well. That was my next step after the two pictures I posted. Again, towels, or rags, or even thick plastic film. Anything to keep the body edge from digging into the bulb seal as you stretch the back around and down. You will likely be replacing it if you don't.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys have all the fun doing it solo !.....I have to use one of my guys to help me (sad face)...da Bat

15. Likes frankeeski liked this post