Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PATS on 2002 Mustang 4.6 ECU

Post Thanks / Like

PATS on 2002 Mustang 4.6 ECU

I am installing the Mustang fuel injection parts on my 2002 4.6 SOHC (tried to run with a four barrel carb, but that experiment did not work well for driveability). I have a new Ford Mustang ECU for a 2002 Mustang GT, a new fuel injection wiring harness from the Detail Zone/Ron Francis, a new intake manifold, MAF sensor, etc. My problem is that my engine tuner is 2.5 hours away and I would like to get the car started prior to taking it to the tuner (just to ensure that I have everything wired up correctly). I already have the starter and fuel pump wired from when I was using the carb. Is there anyway around PATS antitheft system other than reflashing the ECU? One of my friends thought that PATS might only impact the starter and fuel pump circuits which I already have wired up.

Thanks for your help.

Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'm going to give you news you already know and don't want to hear. PATS needs to be removed before the factory ECU will let the engine start. Sorry Dude.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been told that the only way to disable the PATS is to flash the ECU.
    When I built my roadster (using a 1996 4.6L donor and original ECU) I zip tied my key under the dashboard as described in the build manual. When I couldn't get the car to run right, I bought an SCT X4 tuner from American Muscle/BAMA. Their tuner guys (who are really knowledgeable and helpful) wrote a bunch of tunes, for me, but none seemed to do the trick. After almost two years of futzing around with the motor, and changing all the sensors, I ,decided to try a new rebuilt ECU, which I bought from flagship 1. The BAMA guys were able to disable the PATS with the tune they wrote. The new ECU, and the tune they wrote did the trick. The engine runs great now. The Tuner costs $400, but you get free tunes for life, and you don't have to haul your car to somebody else's shop; it stays in your garage. The SCT X4 lets you do data logs on your lap top, which you then email to BAMA. My experience with SCT BAMA was great. Their turn around on tunes is about 3-5 days after they get the latest data log from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    My ECU always had problems linking up to a scanner. Its shows "ERROR" all the time. Does not matter what type of scan tool it is. I've tried all of them.
    The Detail Zone (Ron Fransis wiring kit installed) told me "...due to the way that the original Lincoln communicated some Scan tools will not communicate with the ECM."
    I have a Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC and ECU. I want to buy a new (refurbished) ECU and was told not to get the Lincoln Mark VIII ECU. He said get a Mustang Mach 1 ECU. Does that sound right? I looked at the ECU pin diagram of both and they are not the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Hauser View Post
    I've been told that the only way to disable the PATS is to flash the ECU.
    When I built my roadster (using a 1996 4.6L donor and original ECU) I zip tied my key under the dashboard as described in the build manual. When I couldn't get the car to run right, I bought an SCT X4 tuner from American Muscle/BAMA. Their tuner guys (who are really knowledgeable and helpful) wrote a bunch of tunes, for me, but none seemed to do the trick. After almost two years of futzing around with the motor, and changing all the sensors, I ,decided to try a new rebuilt ECU, which I bought from flagship 1. The BAMA guys were able to disable the PATS with the tune they wrote. The new ECU, and the tune they wrote did the trick. The engine runs great now. The Tuner costs $400, but you get free tunes for life, and you don't have to haul your car to somebody else's shop; it stays in your garage. The SCT X4 lets you do data logs on your lap top, which you then email to BAMA. My experience with SCT BAMA was great. Their turn around on tunes is about 3-5 days after they get the latest data log from you.
    Thanks for the reply. I have new heads and cams, so I don't think a mail order will be optimal for my setup. I believe this is the position of those vendors that supply these tunes as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a 2001 SOHC 4.6 with the original donor ECU and had to get PATS disabled in the ECU.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobradavid View Post
    I used a 2001 SOHC 4.6 with the original donor ECU and had to get PATS disabled in the ECU.

David
    Thank you David.