Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with steering rack,donor

Post Thanks / Like

Help with steering rack,donor

Been building my roadster quietly trying not to bother anyone, but I’m stuck and confused on my steering rack situation. Searches only confused me more. I have a base roadster kit, using 1995 donor parts, just installed donor steering rack from 1995 GT. I wanna keep it power steering. Have the FFR adapter for sn95 rack,so here is my problem, kit says I have extenders in my parts list,which I don’t.... and have to cut tie rods....but in my kit I have tie rods in kit included,inners and outers...so do I cut,do I need extenders?, Second,I have installed rack,and my steering column from the firewall is very off in angle and no way will go on rack...the rack adapter bolted on my rack has no swivel so angle is strange...am I missing something?...thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain. I went through the same grief a while back. I contacted Dan at FFR to walk me through the various configurations. It’s important in order to avoid the dreaded bump steer. I have a ‘98 power steering rack and 95 spindles. The extenders came with my base Canadian kit. To make it all work I bought the inner tie rods from FFR. I believe they were were 87’- ‘93? Hope this helps.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    The multiple combinations of parts that can be used makes some of the instructions confusing. My understanding is, if you use the sn95 front lower control arms installed using the inner mounting holes on the frame, then you don’t need the rack extenders. I have them installed on my car and will be removing them this spring to see if that improves a small steering wheel shake I have.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the FFR LCA’s if that helps.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have been a little clearer in my details, I have the Canadian kit, purchased FFR lower control ams, SN 95 power steering rack, and purchased the adapter for the 1995 mustang different shape...so all is installed . My kit came with NO extenders but I did get inner and outer tie rods, there is no way I can get my column to connect to lower steering rack adapter...my angle isn’t possible..there is no joint.. awkward .

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    The steering piece you show looks like the part that goes inside the foot box. There should be a polished piece with joints on both ends to go from the foot box bearing to the steering rack.

9406659C-1D09-4457-8CD2-73EA1E67E9EC.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    FF recently change the joints on the steering shaft. Contact them, they will get the right one out to you. I have a manual rack but the same thing happened to me.
    New MK4 kit ordered, promised date 04/13/24
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23!!!
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD