Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6 Speed Assembly Questions

Post Thanks / Like

6 Speed Assembly Questions

For those of you that have done the 6 speed conversion, I have a few questions that the install instructions are not too clear on.

After you attach the the 2WD adapter to the drive flange, do you reinsert it into the DCCD housing before putting it into the case? In the two pictures from the instructions it clearly is NOT assembled back into the DCCD unit, but that seems odd as what would keep it from sliding back off the the splines on the drive shaft? It does not appear to be locked in place by anything.

The DCCD unit is clearly not in these photos.
    pic-a.png pic-c.png

And if the DCCD unti is not put back into the case, then why leave the transfer gear in place? It would just be sitting there, not spinning, not doing much of anything. Help me understand this.
    pic-b.png
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    For those of you that have done the 6 speed conversion, I have a few questions that the install instructions are not too clear on.

After you attach the the 2WD adapter to the drive flange, do you reinsert it into the DCCD housing before putting it into the case? In the two pictures from the instructions it clearly is NOT assembled back into the DCCD unit, but that seems odd as what would keep it from sliding back off the the splines on the drive shaft? It does not appear to be locked in place by anything.

The DCCD unit is clearly not in these photos.
    pic-a.png pic-c.png

And if the DCCD unti is not put back into the case, then why leave the transfer gear in place? It would just be sitting there, not spinning, not doing much of anything. Help me understand this.
    pic-b.png
    I didn't use the FFR piece because it was not compatible with my 6 speed. However, you nailed it when you asked about making sure that the output spline of the tranny is fully engaged with the input spline for the front differential (our rear diff). I believe the FFR design takes care of this without the DCCD housing, just the adapter piece. You need that transfer gear because it supports the front diff input shaft. You also need the needle bearings and any other thrust bearings that go on that shaft and inside that transfer gear. In the picture you can see two areas on the shaft where the needle bearings go.

Hopefully someone with direct experience using the FFR adapter can chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    I believe the FFR design takes care of this without the DCCD housing, just the adapter piece. You need that transfer gear because it supports the front diff input shaft. You also need the needle bearings and any other thrust bearings that go on that shaft and inside that transfer gear. In the picture you can see two areas on the shaft where the needle bearings go.

Hopefully someone with direct experience using the FFR adapter can chime in.
    Looking at the FFR adapter, it does not appear to have any way of holding the adapter / drive flange combo in place. Maybe without the weight of the DCCD they do not need to support the front input shaft? But if that's the case, why not remove the transfer gear?

May have to email FFR about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard back from FFR. The adapter is apparently long enough to contact the rear transfer gear which keeps it from sliding back off the shaft. So the DCCD housing is NOT re-inserted back into the transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Responded to your PM too. But, yeah, that's how it worked with mine. I had to modify the transfer gear snout accordingly since my 6mt trans was a viscous center diff unit being converted for the center diff of a DCCD transmission.