Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: E-Emergency Brake

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

E-Emergency Brake

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has done an e-brake on their 818. If so where did you install the actuator? I'm considering the e-stopp or rolling my own with a linear actuator.

Thanks
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried a linear actuator on my last project, wasn't happy with the results, never could get enough tension. I've heard the E-Stopp doesn't create enough pressure either. I wound up getting a dedicated electric caliper from a Tesla and made a custom bracket to mount it opposite my hydraulic caliper. Grips like a vice, and completely eliminated parking brake cables.

img_0902-jpg.96914.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    I tried a linear actuator on my last project, wasn't happy with the results, never could get enough tension. I've heard the E-Stopp doesn't create enough pressure either. I wound up getting a dedicated electric caliper from a Tesla and made a custom bracket to mount it opposite my hydraulic caliper. Grips like a vice, and completely eliminated parking brake cables.

img_0902-jpg.96914.jpg

Somebody did an electric actuated ebrake but I cant remember who. I like your Tesla solution as a parking brake. If I am moving and have a brake issue, I want to be able to modulate the ebrake. I wonder if you can change springs in the tesla unit to adjust stopping power.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Somebody did an electric actuated ebrake but I cant remember who. I like your Tesla solution as a parking brake. If I am moving and have a brake issue, I want to be able to modulate the ebrake. I wonder if you can change springs in the tesla unit to adjust stopping power.
    Bob
    The Tesla unit does not have springs to my knowledge. It uses a gear reduction motor to drive the piston out. I have a small control module that cuts the power when it reaches the pre-set AMP draw on the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the E-Stopp and had no issues with it. Worked perfectly. I installed it in the tunnel.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using a linear actuator and it works pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...ry!76522!US!-1

IMG_3912.JPG
    -Jason

7. Thanks DSR-3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did the E-Stopp as well.. mounted in the tunnel, works well

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up going the e-stop as well. Amazing how much time can be consumed by such a simple fabrication. Of course I'm also trying to fit it in and around the automatic shifter. As you can see in the last photo, I was able to use the retainer from the FF kit.
    2019-05-12 17.29.24.jpg
    2019-05-12 17.30.50.jpg
    2019-05-12 17.31.01.jpg