Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5.0L EGR Coolant Line

Post Thanks / Like

5.0L EGR Coolant Line

I am replacing the stock intake manifold on my 91 5.0 L engine with a 93 Cobra intake. The stock setup has a coolant line from the heater tube through the EGR spacer to the lower manifold. The 93 does not have EGR cooling. The coolant temperature sensor is located in the heater tube. Can I eliminate this line or do I need to run a hose directly from the tube to the manifold for the sensor to work properly? I am running a 2002 vintage FFR heater with a vacuum controlled on/off switch so there won’t be coolant flow through the tube unless the heat is on.

Thanks
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I generally drill out and tap the tube holes in the spacer adding threaded plugs when installing them. So in answer to your question, you don't need them. They were there to aid the car in warm up.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're talking about the coolant temp sensor for the ECM signal. There is a threaded plugged hole on the drivers side of the manifold that the sensor can thread into the water jacket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The 93 intake has no spacer nor any provision for coolant circulation through the throttle plenum area where the EGR valve is located. My question is if I eliminate this coolant line between the heater tube and the lower manifold coolant passage will it adversely affect the output from the coolant temperature sensor to the computer.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just be careful. Without the spacer, you may need to fabricate some kind of throttle cable bracket. That is usually part of the EGR spacer.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    Thanks. The 93 intake has no spacer nor any provision for coolant circulation through the throttle plenum area where the EGR valve is located. My question is if I eliminate this coolant line between the heater tube and the lower manifold coolant passage will it adversely affect the output from the coolant temperature sensor to the computer.
    Yes it will. You can connect the ends of the tube so the it makes a coolant loop back the the water pump. Been a long time since I used that setup and it's long gone , but I think I used two 90* copper fittings soldered to the open ends to make the loop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. I will run a coolant line direct from the heater tube to the manifold. Not so pretty but does the job.