Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Changing spring rate

Post Thanks / Like

Changing spring rate

I am building an R. I have noticed that a lot of R builders go up on the provided spring rate. Some as much as almost 100%. I was taught that if you change spring rate by more than 20% that the shock needs to be revalved for that spring. Is this wrong and if not where are you all getting your shocks revalved?

thanks
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm one of those guys. I am running the FFR 500# springs up front and Eibach 700# springs in the rear. The Koni reds that come with the kit are not rebuildable and I do not believe they can be revalved. I can't speak for everyone but I think we are just going with it .

The Koni's do not have a lot of adjustment, for reference here is a chart I found a while back on this site where someone had the shocks tested. You can see that there is very little difference between full hard and full soft on the compression side.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

3. Thanks Brd.Prey, DSR-3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    I'm one of those guys. I am running the FFR 500# springs up front and Eibach 700# springs in the rear. The Koni reds that come with the kit are not rebuildable and I do not believe they can be revalved. I can't speak for everyone but I think we are just going with it .

The Koni's do not have a lot of adjustment, for reference here is a chart I found a while back on this site where someone had the shocks tested. You can see that there is very little difference between full hard and full soft on the compression side.
    That charts checks with what I have learned. That on single adjustable shocks you are adjusting compression damping mostly. Notice the compression side shows quite a bit from FS to FH but not so much on the rebound side. If you double the spring rate you have twice the force pushing the shock apart “ rebound”. But 1/2 the force pushing it together “compression”. that is why the revalve is so important. Even more so on a single adjustable shock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Testing testing testing see what works for you and your combination. Personally I found a softer setup with a sway bar quicker with much better seat of the pants feel I wanted.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 05-04-2019 at 07:58 AM.

6. Thanks Brd.Prey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A swaybar on a single wheel bump definitely adds spring rate that the shock has to handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I see you in a few weeks we can debate over lunch.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 05-04-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    When I see you in a few weeks we can debate over lunch.
    I would love to meet you over lunch but this is the first I have heard of it. You must have me confused with someone else, maybe the guy buying your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry yes I am confusing you with another builder.