BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Bumpsteer gauge tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Bumpsteer gauge tips?

So I have finished up toe/camber/ride height adjustments and finally get to break out the fancy bumpsteer gauge. I removed the shock rather than taking the spring out and replacing the strut back in position. I recognize this will allow full range of the suspension rather than just what the shock will actually allow (distance) to occur.

I set up the bumpsteer gauge as pictured and get everything to play nicely together. Where everything lines up it starts at .25 on the right hand side. I make sure the dial gauge is touching the anodized red plate bolted to the hub. I start to jack the suspension up and the dial gauge (electronic version) doesn't change at all. I pump the suspension up through a bit more than would be allowed with the shock in place and still nothing on the dial gauge. What am I doing wrong?

Ideally I would want the dial gauge to stay at or as close to zero throughout the suspension movement range, correct?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the photo it appears you have the gauge set-up correctly. I have the same one only I'm old school and don't use battery operated indicators (they tend to be storage cases for dead batteries). But make sure your dial indicator is ~ 1/2 total travel so you don't bottom out or top out during your measurement. Start at ride height and zero the dial indicator. When you have the suspension dialed in with the wheels pointed straight, then check bump steer again with the wheels turned (clocked approximately as much as you would normally on a moderately fast turn) as turning and weight transfer is where you are going to see bump steer, not so much in a straight line.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

3. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Figured out what I was doing wrong. The digital gauge I received didn't have the spring/tensioner? inside it. I replaced the gauge and it worked as it should. Time consuming, but overall big differences in data from start to finish. Interested to see how much of a difference it makes in driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the final spacer length? Any other pics of the finished setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Driver side spacer was 30mm and passenger side is 20mm. Camber is negative 2.25 to 2.5 on the front. Caster unknown.

At first I was really stressed in having different space heights on each side. That led to a lot of rework double checking the measurements for each side. Then I thought about how the alignment isn't currently perfected, just within reason. The steering rack is off center. I also thought of the differing fenders and realized that its possible there are also other variances.

I plan to double check it after a shop aligns it.

7. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I don't have a way to measure bumpsteer so I'll just use something in the middle on both sides like 1" (25.4mm). I think we're running similar suspension setups. Having different spacers makes sense based on all the reasons you've mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can borrow my gauge. I would recommend an alignment first for the above reasons.

Pick up a variety of space sizes so you have a lot of configurations to trial.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be awesome, thanks!