Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is the maximum rear tire diameter for IRS with no fender?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the maximum rear tire diameter for IRS with no fender?

I've seen discussion on this, but haven't come across any definitive answers for the IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, does anybody have any on the road examples?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't give you a definitive answer specific to the IRS configuration but I think it really depends on how big you want to go, the wheel back spacing, and how far you're willing to go.

attachment.jpg

Above is a photo of my car that uses a solid rear axle. I can fit up to 31" diameter radials (radials don't grow) or 30" wrinkle wall M/T drag slicks under the bobbed rear fenders. If I really needed more, I could manage it. I mounted my body ~1" higher in the rear, use a parallel four-link that allows adjusting the rear ride height much more than the standard FFR suspension will support. If I had wanted the IRS and needed to run tall tires I'm sure I could make the modifications to run larger tires.

So, my take on all this is it just depends on what you want and how bad you want it.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Probably looking at 20~22" wheels, with fairly low profile tires. From what I've read that seems fine with the 3 & 4 link setups. I think I saw pics of your rear suspension somewhere else, now I understand why! :]