BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windshield Angle for 3 HR

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Angle for 3 HR

Did anyone had to shave the inside lower part of the windshield where it meets the body to achieve the correct angle to fit the soft top?

The windshield is at the correct location but the 31" measurement is off.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by clays123; 05-03-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not. The 31" measurement has some wiggle room. It doesn't say exactly where on that ledge to measure to. Inside corner, outside or middle of it. I did middle. Mine was 30 3/4 and the top fit perfectly. If it's too far off, check your center distance from dash to package tray. You may have the whole back end a little too high or too low.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    I did not. The 31" measurement has some wiggle room. It doesn't say exactly where on that ledge to measure to. Inside corner, outside or middle of it. I did middle. Mine was 30 3/4 and the top fit perfectly. If it's too far off, check your center distance from dash to package tray. You may have the whole back end a little too high or too low.

I notice that there is a "ridge" along the edges on the cockpit side where it meets the body especially near the doors. I was wondering if I should take that down a bit.

Anybody else had to shave?

Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what ridge you speak of. You mean the mold part line? Got a picture of it?
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what ridge you speak of. You mean the mold part line? Got a picture of it?
    I will take pictures and post tomorrow.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the pictures showing the ridge and how the windshield sits at the moment. It's not tightened up yet.Windshield3.JPGWindshield2.JPGWindshield.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine sits a little off the body at the ends like yours but fits fine everywhere else. My ends aren't quite as far off. The gasket will.more than take up the slack. The middle all pulled up tight when I installed it. I didn't look to see if there was an area like you have. Not sure removing that will fix the ends though. Going to watch your results of what you do for sure.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine sits a little off the body at the ends like yours but fits fine everywhere else. My ends aren't quite as far off. The gasket will.more than take up the slack. The middle all pulled up tight when I installed it. I didn't look to see if there was an area like you have. Not sure removing that will fix the ends though. Going to watch your results of what you do for sure.
    Thanks very much for your help, I will be posting more pictures as I progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by clays123 View Post
    Thanks very much for your help, I will be posting more pictures as I progress.
    So I removed the edge on both sides and it fits perfect. Now I have the 31" required to fit the soft top.

New problem though, now I have the 1/2" to 3/4" in gap between the body and the soft top at the centre of of the back where as the font and sides fit perfectly. The center of the back does not sits on the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by clays123 View Post
    So I removed the edge on both sides and it fits perfect. Now I have the 31" required to fit the soft top.

New problem though, now I have the 1/2" to 3/4" in gap between the body and the soft top at the centre of of the back where as the font and sides fit perfectly. The center of the back does not sits on the body.
    I actually added a small support in the middle which helps raise that area a bit, this was to better fit it to the hard top uniformly.
    20190202_134207.jpg 20181219_200739.jpg You can see it in the middle, I slotted the holes for adjustment, it also helps for the trunk alignment as well for its curve.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    I actually added a small support in the middle which helps raise that area a bit, this was to better fit it to the hard top uniformly.
    20190202_134207.jpg 20181219_200739.jpg You can see it in the middle, I slotted the holes for adjustment, it also helps for the trunk alignment as well for its curve.
    Thank you very much. That will be my next step trying to raise that area of the body but I am not sure if I will lose as much as 1/2" by doing that. We'll see and I'll post pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are pictures of my soft top installation. I think there should be no gaps. All the measurements for the windshield to the body are spot on.
    Soft Top Install3.JPGSoft Top Install.JPGSoft Top Install2.JPGSoft Top Install4.JPGSoft Top Install5.JPG

How can I fix this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some more pictures.

Soft Top Install6.JPGSoft Top Install7.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a picture of yours and it looks just like mine. Is this correct?
    Soft Top Install SVT.jpg