Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: side louvers

Post Thanks / Like

side louvers

what do you guys use to hold louvers in, silicone?

2. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a very solid way to do them.. Now this is for the preassembled ones, I'm sure you could do something very similar for the basic ones.
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 05-21-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thread to fuel the synapses... similar in nature, other than I fabbed my own "stud-plates", and used panel bonding adhesive instead of HSRV.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Silicone will work well for the "bend 'em yourself" variety. So well in fact that if they ever have to be removed they will be wasted.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Silicone will work well for the "bend 'em yourself" variety. So well in fact that if they ever have to be removed they will be wasted.

Jeff
    Well there you have it from the best...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    I'll be using silicone plus my 383 emblems poke through them and screw down with those old funky emblem nuts.
    https://youtu.be/uLmHEoWTEHg

If you need some assistance then this video may help if you plan to use the Bend-Em-Your-Self louvers.
    https://youtu.be/QyMN73IW6I8
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-05-2019 at 04:59 PM.

8. Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    have the pre-assembled ones

10. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used 3M permanent mounting tape from Lowe’s for about $6 you can also use it to mount the emblems

But be careful once you press it in place it’s not coming off without a fight

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Commercial type velcro.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Velcro. Rock solid when in place, never came loose in 12 years of driving and racing. But, easy to remove when you want to work on the car - headers, master cylinder, wiring, etc.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Here is a very solid way to do them.. Now this is for the reassembled ones, I'm sure you could do something very similar for the basic ones.
    This method has my vote except I welded the "L" bracket to the assembled louvers so bolt heads weren't seen in between.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the assembled louvers from FFR and ********** (they are identical, right down to the box they come in ) you'll need to start by massaging the factory cutouts to match the size and angle.

With that done I attach a piece of 1" angle along the top of the louver with 2 rivets (the rivets will only be visible if you're laying on the ground looking up into the opening!). The vertical side of the angle gets a 3/8" hole:

louver1.jpg

louver2.jpg

The inside of the body gets a similar 1" angle about 1/8" below the bottom of the louver opening. Above the opening I bond 1/4-20 elevator bolt which registers with the hole in the angle attached to the top of the louver. Both get bonded with HSRF:

louver3.jpg

Looking from the outside you see that this creates a "shelf" for the louver assembly to rest on:

louver4.jpg

When it's time to install them into the body I lay a bead of silicone across the "shelf" and sink the louver into it while rotating it into position with the bonded stud coming through the top hole. Silicone secures the bottom and washer & nut hold the top.

All done!

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf, Paul2STL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks think ill try that method

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jeff, I can’t see these pics except for top one, anyway to repost them? Or is it something on my end , 2 laptops same issue. Would need the pics along with the perfect details. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grande View Post
    Hey Jeff, I can’t see these pics except for top one, anyway to repost them? Or is it something on my end , 2 laptops same issue. Would need the pics along with the perfect details. Thanks
    Same here, just one pic, other's are no-show.

And yes, the FFR cutouts need to be "massaged" to get the angles correct to what ever set of fins you have.

As for my assembled mounting, I used the Edwardb stud method. Mounted them with HSRF, and a piece of fiberglas over them just in case...
    Last edited by boat737; 05-21-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

20. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    omg,thats nice of you, thanks, now I can see. Great..pics are worth 1000 words. THanks Boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grande View Post
    Edited and reposted the pics. Click on the smaller images in the body of the reply and they'll expand.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Silicone. Silicone the brackets to the louvers the night before on a flat surface. Make sure the body is clean or undercoated and silicone the louvers in place putting a bead of silicone on the top edge of the top bracket and the bottom edge of the bottom bracket. Tape in place from behind and leave over night. Check after 20min to make sure they haven't shifted . ..da Bat

24. Likes BEAR-AvHistory, Railroad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys that are using silicone...is it just the box store clear shower and tub caulk or something different? I was wondering how that would hold up to the heat in there but if that is what people are using I'm willing to give it a shot.
    www.AIMFlight.com
    FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09
    408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be using a Marine Grade Clear silicone when I start the reassembly process in addition to my 383 emblem pins.

Why Marine Grade, well it is because I'm from the Swamp Lands of Louisiana have a boat hording issue and am always sealing something.

I think any high quality silicone will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the badges and emblems, I used both of these. So far, so good.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to find something that will have sufficient strength if I apply it now so by this afternoon about 5:00pm I can drive I have a local "support local businesses" cruise tonight and hate the look of the car without the louvers installed. It is a temporary installation until I get a chance to take the body off and do it permanently. Hoping the silicone will hold with only 8 or 9 hours dry/cure time.
    www.AIMFlight.com
    408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Post Thanks / Like
    For right now....Heavy duty adhesive backed velcro from Home Depot. It will hold up for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I'm trying to find something that will have sufficient strength if I apply it now so by this afternoon about 5:00pm I can drive I have a local "support local businesses" cruise tonight and hate the look of the car without the louvers installed. It is a temporary installation until I get a chance to take the body off and do it permanently. Hoping the silicone will hold with only 8 or 9 hours dry/cure time.
    Gorilla tape or HVAC foil tape. When you’re ready to make it permanent plain ol’ GE Silicone II.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I'll give it a go!
    www.AIMFlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up doing silicone but not a huge amount. Just enough to keep the tabs adhered and it appears to have cured enough for driving already. Nice and solid. I figure I can just take a razor blade between the body and the tabs to remove them and then remove the silicone with remover and grinding for my final solution later on.
    www.AIMFlight.com