FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cruise Control Installation.

Post Thanks / Like

Cruise Control Installation.

This is on a Backdraft, with a Coyote and a 6R80 6 speed auto. Not an FFR, I know. But the installation will be the same for any car.

Using the VSS signal can sometimes create variable operation and surging. To get around that, I used the old style magnets on the drive.

The instructions for this part are pretty clear.

To connect to the throttle, I used the adapter wiring harness, to make it a simple plug and play. The instructions are pretty clear on how to tap in to the factory harness, if you want to go that route.

Installing the main box was a tiny bit tricky. When I first turned it on and pressed "set", the electronic throttle quit working, and the car coasted to a stop. Unplugging the cruise control from the main fuse box restored it. You have to connect the black ground wire for the main box to the ground wire in the pedal harness.

The only trouble I had was with the RF control switch. The instructions are not good, and it's not a simple plug and play.

Initially, they sent me the wrong wiring harness. If you see this small black cube in the harness, it will not work.

The harness you need is this one, with two three pin connectors; one black and one white

To make the connection, you need to de-pin the 4 pin connector on the RF control box. This one

And reconnect them so they look like this

And then plug them in to the harness so it looks like this
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

2. Thanks GWL thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Use this connection chart

Now, everything should work the way it's supposed to. If not, Call Michael Fox at 989-790-2949. Assuming you purchased this from M&R Electronics

Then you have to mount to control switch. I put mine here for no. Not sure I like it, though. But it's just on with double stick tape, so it's easy to change.

Parts list
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

4. Thanks GWL thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob for posting this. I went out my way to locate the transmission hookup for both a mechanical speedometer and the VSS signal only to later hear others having problems with the surging. I'll set up the magnet and sensor prior to closing things up as a back up in case I can't eliminate the surging with the VSS signal directly from the transmission.

Thanks again for posting the details, George