Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New member in NJ

Post Thanks / Like

New member in NJ

Hello all,
    I've been looking at the 65 Coupe kit for years, If all goes well I'll be putting in my order this winter.
    Who here has completed a recent build in Jersey, how much of a pain was the inspection/title process? I plan on using a carb crate motor.
    Looking forward to hearing from everyone, hopefully meeting some local guys willing to give some advice on the process.
    Thanks in advance,
    Randy
    Nutley, NJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Randy,

Welcome to the forum. These are the two best threads on passing NJ safety and emissions inspections I have found. Emissions is a bit tricky, don’t buy an engine until you know exactly how the state will classify the year of the engine.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ers-Inspection

https://factory5roadster.wordpress.c...j-state-legal/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkviper View Post
    Hi Randy,

Welcome to the forum. These are the two best threads on passing NJ safety and emissions inspections I have found. Emissions is a bit tricky, don’t buy an engine until you know exactly how the state will classify the year of the engine.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ers-Inspection

https://factory5roadster.wordpress.c...j-state-legal/
    Right, I wasn't sure what they would classify a small block Ford crate engine as.
    The initial inspection for title is the only thing I would be concerned about. The only passenger car emission test nowadays is an OBDII computer test on 1996 and up. I currently own a repair shop that also does emission testing for the biannual state inspections. So, as long as it's classified pre -1996, I'm good.
    I was looking at the motor/trans packages that FF is offering from BluePrint. Not sure if they are new blocks or remanufactured with new internals and heads.

Thank you for the links, I'm sure I'll be reaching out for advice in the future

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay in touch as you get your project underway. It will be nice to have another fellow builder nearby. I am new to this registering a kit car in NJ thing, but you can see in that 2nd thread that you can’t just buy any crate engine with a carburetor and have it be emissions exempt due to the block used and how the engine was built up.

I am going down the ODBII path and it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome! Roger

6. Likes RandyNJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkviper View Post
    Stay in touch as you get your project underway. It will be nice to have another fellow builder nearby. I am new to this registering a kit car in NJ thing, but you can see in that 2nd thread that you can’t just buy any crate engine with a carburetor and have it be emissions exempt due to the block used and how the engine was built up.

I am going down the ODBII path and it will be interesting to see how it all works out.
    I wonder if a better plan for me would be to start with a mid/late 60s short block and have it built from there

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it might be a long shot, but is there anyone near Northern New Jersey with a Coupe, or even a roadster I could take a ride in just to get a feel for how they ride before I pull the trigger?