BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thinking about building an MK4 in Colorado Springs...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Thinking about building an MK4 in Colorado Springs...

Hey Folks!

I'm ok with a wrench, but I wouldn't call myself a mechanic. I have however, done a complete header/rear end swap on my 2006 Corvette (now sold) on jack stands but that was no picnic.

I'm in the process of completing my outbuilding/garage and trying to decide whether or not I should wait until I have power, a lift, and my compressor set up out there or if I should start the processes on jack stands. Also, I live on a 3/4 mile dirt road which makes every car I own turn into a rattle trap (including the corvette). What are your thoughts on the impact on the MK4? Will it stand up to the washboards?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations you might have!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wear a kidney belt! Go foor it.......Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

...master of none. CapeCoralCobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No need to be a mechanic, just being good with your hands and being able to work things out are probably qualifying factors. I did my build on jackstands, as many guys here have. There's not much need for it to be in the air once its a roller. Electricity, on the other hand, is a little more important unless you have a variety of good cordless power tools. Some guys use an air riveter, but I did them all with a 25+ year old hand riveter. As far as the dirt road, keep in mind that frame clearance is around 4". My bottom line, I agree with riptide.
    Alan, Mk 3.1 #7172, 308, GT40P heads, Crane roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, Pro M 75mm MAF, March pulleys, Cobra spec T5, 3.73 8.8, Konis all around, 15" FFR Halibrands, Viper Red/Pure White Stripes.
    "There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!" Randy Jones