Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Sniper EFI with Sniper ignition system wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Sniper EFI with Sniper ignition system wiring

I've been looking at a lot of the Sniper EFI posts lately. Most of them have great tips for the wiring, but it seems that's with a standard coil and MSD box. I plan on using the full sniper system ignition, coil and distributor. Does anybody know the exact wiring for this system? I saw to wire the EFI to the Ron Francis hot coil wire. the question is what how do I wire the coil now? I also plan on using the EFI to run the fuel pump and trip the fan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you watched this video?

I have a Sniper EFI, but with a standard MSD distributor and coil setup. From the fuel pump relay and fan wiring for your scenario should be the same as what you've read in other posts. The differences will be in the specific ignition wiring. The Holley instructions for the Sniper are laid out for several ignition types. Additionally, your Siper ignition should have detailed instructions for connecting it to the EFI. I would expect it to be pretty much plug and play, but I haven't read anything about the Sniper ignition.

Generally, you need +12v on/crank power to your coil/CD box. Direct battery connections to the main power and ground. A +12v switched for the ECU, and connections to the RF harness for fuel pump and fan.
    Last edited by Papa; 05-10-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, wiring the full Sniper/HyperSpark system is pretty straightforward even connecting it into the RF wiring harness.

The Sniper documentation doesnt' include much regarding the other (HyperSpark) components. However, if you look at the documentation for the HyperSpark CD ignition box it has the diagram you're looking for.
    https://documents.holley.com/199r11509.pdf

Have a look at that and let me know if you have any questions. Are you just in the investigation phase right now or do you have the parts in hand?

Like you, I use the SNiper to control the fan and fuel pump and can walk you through (when it makes sense) how do to all that wiring making use of the RF wires and not slinging a bunch of new stuff.

A word to the wise - you will note that the Holley documentation strongly suggests to get the Sniper running first without timing control and then to add the timing part. Since I had a brankd new engine I didn't want to invest in a standard ignition system first and then change over. I went straight to the full meal deal and it is not easy to debug! So baby steps if you can would be my advice...

Cheers, Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm to the point of wiring everything in the car and will be purchasing the sniper with a 347 shortly. I just want to make sure I'm ready for the sniper system and have it wired correctly rather than wiring as I go.

Post Thanks / Like
    So when you get the full system, it comes with a wiring harness that provides a fuel pump relay, etc. Obviously we don't need that part of the harness so I cut it out. You will note that in the Holley documentation it says that the fuel pump output is 12V. Well that is only true if you use the harness - in other words, that is the output of the relay they provide and it is not the polarity of the raw output from the Sniper. The output from the Sniper actually goes to ground to turn on the fuel pump. So I wired that output to provide the ground for the RF supplied fuel pump relay in the fuse panel.

You need to decide where you want to put the various water temp sensors. The Sniper needs one, that I put in the intake manifold where the gauge sensor normally goes. There is a separate cable from the Sniper to attach to it so you don't have to worry how to connect that up. Then I put the water temp gauge sensor at the bottom of the radiator where the FFR supplied water temp switch would be installed. Accordingly, you have to cut up the RF harness to get what is now the water temp gauge wire to go to the gauge itself. Lastly, you have to modify the RF harness to get the Sniper fan output to trigger the fan relay in the fuse panel.

I can post a couple of pics along with the marked up schematics showing the changes when you are ready.

The Sniper and CD ignition need a clean 12V. So for that I ran a separate (fused) wire from the battery to a small 6 fuse panel mounted beside the RF panel. I ran the power for the Sniper and CD ignition there. You may decide to do that differently.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up studying the wiring quite a bit this weekend and I think I understand it now pretty well. that makes sense to hook the sniper blue wire to the ground. I've also seen Papa mention on another post you can run the positive big blue wire to the fuel pump and then just take out the relay and fuse that can with the RF harness.
    As for the temp sense, the plan will be to use the ground on top of the engine (green thermos wire) to connect up the EFI fan control (grounded). Also bought a painless auxiliary 7 fuse kit for extras.

I ended up pulling the trigger this weekend and spent a lot of money (ouch!): 347 crate motor from blueprint engines. Along with the sniper EFI system and full hyperspark ignition system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. The Sniper seems pretty much straight forward wiring wise. Now, what we are doing about all the new wires that need to be stowed away neatly. O2 sensor lead-no brainer, but how's do I get all these big fat plugs behind the firewall and out of sight? Btw, the firewall is in and painted so that makes it doubly tuff any ideas are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the very same objective, get the connectors out of the engine compartment. I assume you did similar to myself where the Sniper ignition box is on the passenger side, the coil is in the engine compartment. I was hoping to accomplish it by routing the cables that come out of the Sniper, down the back of the engine, into the trans tunnel and up into the passenger compartment through the front edge of the tunnel. There were 2 challenges to that 1)the cables coming out of the Sniper are different lengths so the big mothering connectors ended up in difficult positions and 2) there are already a multitude of cables doing the same thing (rear harness, front harness, heater AC/stuff, battery stuff,.....) making even less room for those big connectors. So in the end, I did use the routing that I planned but the connectors are on the engine side of the firewall. I've coiled the cables up on top of the intake manifold, including the connectors and then routed the smaller wires into the trans tunnel. Since my intake manifold is black as are the wires and connectors, you really don't notice them unless you go looking. I can attach a pic if it would help, just let me know.
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500666

Not sure this will work for y'all but this is my favorite way to route wiring through a firewall. Weatherproof and professional looking, just like the OEMs use.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

10. Likes JOP33 liked this post