Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sway Bar End Links

Post Thanks / Like

Sway Bar End Links

What is anybody doing with the end links after cutting them. Are we using a jam nut or tack weld...?

Post Thanks / Like
    You're talking about these, right? Cut down per the instructions there won't be any threads showing. So no jam nuts. I wouldn't advise welding them. I used some blue Loctite in mine. But after posting, several forum members said they should be left loose to pivot if needed. Regardless, with both ends anchored, they're not going to un-thread themselves.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree - there's no way they're going to unthread themselves once installed. I don't know if this is the right answer or not, but here's what I did. The front links are oriented 90 degrees to each other and seemed to me that they should be able to pivot a little bit so I put a little anti-seize on those threads. The rears, on the other hand, are oriented in line with each other and I thought it best they keep that alignment so I put some red loctite on those. In the end, I don't think it's super-critical. You could just as well put nothing on them and they would likely be fine.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Realizing it would take a very long time I still don't like missing a jam nut. I once worked on a car that had loose steering feel. Turns out the alignment that had been done a year prior had forgotten to tighten the tie rod jam nut. The reason it felt loose was that the threads on the tie rod and inner tierod were nearly gone and I could change it's length by over 1/2 inch just pulling or pushing the tire. The extra length that a jam nut would require can be reduced by getting thin nuts from McMasterCarr. I don't see that as being necessary though. Also, if you ever get into corner weight checking, you will find that is done w/ swaybar link disconnected. Once all the adjustments are done the link length is adjusted so it can be connected w/o putting any pre-load into the swaybar.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.