Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  71
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff33Ford HotRod Build - First Go-Cart

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff33Ford HotRod Build - First Go-Cart

The day finally came!! The Hot Rod is home. Thought I would at least start the build thread. While not near a proficient as others on this board with words I will at least show progress. Carl Emery from Bando 11 Racing and Transport was awesome with the delivery.

50026 - Complete Base kit
    34575 - Powder coated chassis
    33462 - Installing Ford 289/302/351W Engine
    - Installing Automatic Transmission: (Default configuration)
    34050 - 28 spline driveshaft for 302/351W/4.6L/5.0L Coyote with 2015 IRS and T5, AOD, or Tremec 3550 Transmission
    16325 - Black Vinyl Roadster Seats
    34058 - 2015 Mustang-based Independent Rear Suspension Kit with KONI coil-overs, tubular lower control arms, and CV axles
    15945 - 2015-2017 Mustang IRS Manual Driveshaft Adapter
    34838 - '33 Grill with Hood and Engine Side Covers
    34090 - Hot Rod Spread Rear Exit Exhaust – Polished stainless with 2 oval tips, located under tail lights
    33651 - Upgrade: Tilt Steering Column, Paintable
    33682 - Soft Top
    33694 - Soft top curtains
    34075 - Electric Power Assist Steering

IMG_1765.jpgIMG_1767.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine had already showed up a few weeks ago. I put the cart before the horse because of price increases. I also used the time before the car showed up to build up an AOD. So it is ready to go when ready to put it all together.
    347. Dyno 415hp 451ftlbs

• Scat cast steel crank
    • 4340 Forged connecting rods with ARP cap screws
    • DSS Racing forged pistons E-8743-4040
    • Moly rings
    • Clevite main and rod bearings
    • True roller double roller timing set
    • Howards 222755-12 hydraulic roller camshaft - Lift: .533 / .544, Duration @ .050: 225 / 231, Centerline: 108
    • Tri Star HP aluminum heads (speedmaster)
    • 2.02 stainless intake valves
    • 1.60 stainless exhaust valves
    • HP valve springs
    • Roller rocker arms Scorpion 10014209
    • Hardened pushrods
    • Weiand intake manifold
    • MSD distributor - 8598
    • Autolite spark plugs
    • MSD spark plug wires
    • Tri Star Polished aluminum valve covers
    • Aluminum timing cover
    • HD 28oz Harmonic Balancer
    • Melling oil pump and screen

IMG_1688.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff33Ford; 04-14-2022 at 10:44 AM.

3. Likes narly1, 33fromSD, RoadRacer, JimLev, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And so it begins. Just seems like yesterday when mine arrived, hard to believe May will be a year since it's been registered and on the road.

Have fun, enjoy the build. Great group of folks on this site who can answer any questions you have.

We love pictures by the way.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

5. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Likes narly1, jwelch7818 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, So glad I could bring this to you. Inventory complete, you are ready to rock and roll. Enjoy the build, enjoy the ride... It was awesome to meet you and your wife. Sorry I was not able to hang out a bit longer, but I had a Mk4 to pickup in Chicago...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Could not work on suspension yet because of so many POL parts. But still plenty to do. Worked on getting firewall placed since that seems to be pretty critical to everything else falling in place. All the sheet metal looked to be coming together nicely.
    IMG_1791.jpgIMG_1801.jpgIMG_1802.jpg

8. Likes 33fromSD, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. I forget how bare they are at the beginning... It won't be that long and you will be looking at it and saying, wow... I did that...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some powder coating done. Did some panels that do not show much to try out the oven we built over this last winter. It performed very well and ready to do parts that do show. Started cleaning up the front suspension parts that I do have so they can be powder coated. Getting some parts from FFR this week. Hopefully some that I can use to complete something.
    Putting my son to work
    IMG_1824.jpg
    Putting parts in the oven.
    IMG_1827.jpg
    Parts back in the car to get an idea what they will look like.
    IMG_1831.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff33Ford; 05-01-2022 at 06:11 PM.

11. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. You should be wearing a mask while spraying the powder.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking fantastic so far... Nice work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Powder coating the front suspension parts this weekend. Dark Green metallic. Don't have a lot to show for the work yet. Hopefully when some of the missing suspension parts show up it will look like I am accomplishing something.
    IMG_1835.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to keep working with what I got so far.
    Powder coated and put down panel under gas tank
    IMG_1865.jpg
    Put floor panels down. Hopefully this does not affect anything I do not have done yet. I know it will mean I will be working under the car more in the future, but I do not see anything I should have done before this.
    IMG_1864.jpgIMG_1871.jpg
    Powder coated the firewall pieces and attached them
    IMG_1868.jpgIMG_1870.jpg
    Making some progress while waiting on suspension parts.

16. Likes 33fromSD, e36m3, theidlemind, KippRacing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got some of the suspension together. Really tough going out and buying hardware you already paid for but still on POL but really wanted to get the front suspension together. I was moving right along but soon realized I has 2 pass side calibers. Of course did not see it until I had painted them. Hopefully I can get FFR to send me the drivers side. Trying to stay positive but everything I start I am missing parts on. I just feel like I am jumping from one thing to another and getting nothing done. Could not finish steering either, missing one of the shafts.
    IMG_1875.jpgIMG_1874.jpg

18. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFR should replace it without issues. I got the wrong banjo bolts with my kit and stripped the threads on both caliper before I realized it when I bled the brakes and they were not sealing. The banjo bolts actually threaded in fairly easy with little resistance so it wasn't overly obvious at the time there was an issue until I had a leak and FFR worked with me to figure out I got the wrong bolts and replaced the calipers no problem.

FFR is really good to work with when it comes to customer support (or at least they were a year + ago when I was doing mine).

Jim

20. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So cool to see the start. My kit should be here in next month or so and I can’t wait. Will be fun to follow yours just ahead of mine so I know what I am getting into!

22. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    FFR should replace it without issues. I got the wrong banjo bolts with my kit and stripped the threads on both caliper before I realized it when I bled the brakes and they were not sealing. The banjo bolts actually threaded in fairly easy with little resistance so it wasn't overly obvious at the time there was an issue until I had a leak and FFR worked with me to figure out I got the wrong bolts and replaced the calipers no problem.

FFR is really good to work with when it comes to customer support (or at least they were a year + ago when I was doing mine).

Jim
    No dice. I was told since I painted the caliber I bought it and I had to buy the correct one if I wanted it. That is all I am going to say on the subject.

UPDATE: Mike from FFR contacted me and said he would make it right! I really did not complain greatly about this and they still took care of it. THANKS FFR
    Last edited by Jeff33Ford; 06-07-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff33Ford View Post
    No dice. I was told since I painted the caliber I bought it and I had to buy the correct one if I wanted it. That is all I am going to say on the subject.
    That sucks, oh well, it is what it is. Given that I would then upgrade to better brakes which is what I ended up doing. Go to RockAuto and order their p/n KC130126, price for everything is about $400; price was $235 when I bought them 1+ years ago but $400 still isn't bad for everything (calipers, rotors & pads). These are really good brakes, I love em and I know some others on here have upgrade too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...15511&jsn=2047

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 06-07-2022 at 10:26 AM.

25. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That sucks, oh well, it is what it is. Given that I would then upgrade to better brakes which is what I end up doing. Go to RockAuto and order their p/n KC130126, price for everything is about $400; price was $235 when I bought them 1+ years ago but $400 still isn't bad for everything (calipers, rotors & pads). These are really good brakes, I love em and I know some others on here have upgrade too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...15511&jsn=2047

Jim
    yeah I have the same brand on the rear - but without calipers. I used my junker rear calipers. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-K1303-26. The cheapest brake upgrade you'll ever do
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Was able to get a lot done when I received some parts from FFR. Added a larger return line to the gas tank for the Holley Sniper. I am going to try and use the supply line provided and see what happens. Trying to avoid buying a new pickup if I do not need to.
    IMG_1876.jpgIMG_1880.jpg
    Got all the IRS parts on. That really felt great to get done. It was a bear putting the pig in.
    Got about 90% of the brake lines done and will hopefully get it bled and on the ground this week.
    IMG_1882.jpgIMG_1883.jpgIMG_1886.jpg

28. Likes 33fromSD, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good...

Post Thanks / Like
    It is on the ground. It rolls, steers and stops. Another mild stone crossed. Pushed it out in the sun for a good look
    IMG_1919.jpg
    Also finished making a bracket and mounting it for the sniper fuel pump.
    IMG_1916.jpgIMG_1917.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff33Ford; 07-04-2022 at 12:10 PM.

31. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also finished making a bracket and mounting it for the sniper fuel pump.
    IMG_1916.jpgIMG_1917.jpg
    How do you find mounting position to be in terms of accessibility & protection?

I want mine to be in a spot where I can easily get at it to swap in a new pump if need be.

33. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    How do you find mounting position to be in terms of accessibility & protection?

I want mine to be in a spot where I can easily get at it to swap in a new pump if need be.
    I think I would have no issue with the passenger rear wheel removed. I mounted it with 2 bolts through the frame so easy to remove as a unit if needed.

35. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod, BadAsp427, 33fromSD, narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the Engine and trans dropped in. Looking more and more like a car. At least this gives me more to work on now. I know FFR has no idea when the grill will show up. Just means it will be a while before first start.
    IMG_1928.jpg

37. Likes RoadRacer, Salty Chief 35, svassh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up mine on June 10th. No grill either but I only have the base kit at the moment. No storage for the rest. There are parts missing from almost every area of the build. Check my build thread for my progress. I managed to get some stuff done but kind of stuck now. FFR says end of August I should start seeing stiffness show up.
    Your making good progress. Keep it up!
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

39. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not much time lately to continue much work. Little things here and there but did get the exhaust wrapped and put the fuel lines in place.
    IMG_1973.jpgIMG_1974.jpg

41. Likes 33fromSD, svassh, narly1, BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would have no issue with the passenger rear wheel removed. I mounted it with 2 bolts through the frame so easy to remove as a unit if needed.
    Revisiting this again, I like the idea that the pump and filters can be removed as a "pallet". I'm also thinking that you could additionally mount the whole thing on isolation mounts to quiet down the pump noise & vibration.

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

43. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revisiting this again, I like the idea that the pump and filters can be removed as a "pallet". I'm also thinking that you could additionally mount the whole thing on isolation mounts to quiet down the pump noise & vibration.

Earl
    Isolation mounts or put some DEI Accoustic Boom mat under it and on the panel above it. Stuff is awesome.

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 09-05-2022 at 01:23 PM.

45. Thanks Jeff33Ford, narly1 thanked for this post
    Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Earl
    Isolation mounts our put some DEI Accoustic Boom mat under it and on the panel above it. Stuff is awesome.

Jim
    Thx Guys. That is exactly what I did. I had something like boom mat laying around with a pretty thick rubber center. Hopefully it works. Just running a test it was not very loud and with the interior done it should be ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could you share some pics of where you mounted the rear brake line brackets? Where the braided line connects to the hard line?

I have an idea where I want to mount mine, but wanted to see what others with the '15 IRS have done.

Thanks!
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Could you share some pics of where you mounted the rear brake line brackets? Where the braided line connects to the hard line?

I have an idea where I want to mount mine, but wanted to see what others with the '15 IRS have done.

Thanks!
    Here a couple of pics. I will just use PTFE hose in the rear when I finish it. I plan to change the hoses to the carb to AN braided line when I finally order some. I use these to connect to the lines. Not as pretty as most of the guys on here but it will work.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-892006bl

And these to connect the hoses in the rear.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-750166ERL

IMG_1970.jpgIMG_1975.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    20220905_144114.jpg 20220905_144030.jpg

Sorry for the poor photos, but it was too hot to spend much time in the garage today. In any case, I riveted the brake line support brackets to the upper control arm mounting flange. This was a convenient location that allowed the flexible brake lines to move through the full range of travel without interference. The view in the photos is somewhat obscured by additional structure that I added, but I think you can get the idea. If it matters, I have the optional Wilwood brakes on a 2015 IRS in a Gen 1 Hot Rod.

HTH Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    Sorry for the poor photos, but it was too hot to spend much time in the garage today. In any case, I riveted the brake line support brackets to the upper control arm mounting flange. This was a convenient location that allowed the flexible brake lines to move through the full range of travel without interference. The view in the photos is somewhat obscured by additional structure that I added, but I think you can get the idea. If it matters, I have the optional Wilwood brakes on a 2015 IRS in a Gen 1 Hot Rod.

HTH Keith HR #894
    That's helpful, Thanks!
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    DOH! I guess I should have read more carefully. I assumed since I posted about fuel lines that was what you wanted. But here are where I mounted mine and I mean brake lines this time.

IMG_1976.jpgIMG_1977.jpg

52. Thanks TxMike64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FIRST START!! Even though I cannot run it very long and do a break in I had to make sure everything is wired correctly. After everything checked out fine I gave it a shot. This video is the results. I was amazed it started so quickly. I am going to love this EFI carb. I can tell already. If I could just get the grill from FFR I could mount the radiator and do a real break in run.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/3d7-_BuOlLA?feature=share

54. Likes TxMike64, 33fromSD, peterh226, narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the first start... and the build is looking great.

56. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great! EFI is the only way to go IMO. Much more reliable and no adjusting for altitude changes. Congrats. Feels good to know your work is worth it doesn't it.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

58. Likes Jeff33Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally feel like I am getting some stuff done. A lot of little things that do not seem to show a lot of results. But this weekend I was able to get a few visible things done. Finalized wiring to the back of the car and put the panels on for the last time.
    IMG_2038.jpgIMG_2034.jpg

Hacked up the trans tunnel so me and my son's big feet will fit on the accelerator pedal.
    IMG_2045.jpgIMG_2043.jpg

Also polishing of the grill I finally got from FFR. Then coating it will sharkhide.
    IMG_2047.jpg

Not a bad weekend. My son seemed to like it. lol
    IMG_2039.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff33Ford; 11-06-2022 at 07:10 PM.

60. Likes 33fromSD, svassh, FF33rod, Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your son looks happy. Glad to see you have good progress. Build on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job polishing the grill. What product did you use on the buffer pad?
    I should have done this before I installed it.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Nice job polishing the grill. What product did you use on the buffer pad?
    I should have done this before I installed it.
    Wet sanded with
    then 800

Polished with a rough cut then a fine cut.
    Not perfect but I am happy with the results

Also polished the front of the radiator since it shows through grill

I could easily see doing it on the car if you tape off real good around the grill. We only did areas that show.

EDIT:
    Should have added I coated with Sharkhide when done
    Last edited by Jeff33Ford; 12-10-2022 at 11:05 PM.

64. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast