Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Tim Wittaker's 33-Hot Rod dash panel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tim Wittaker's 33-Hot Rod dash panel

Has any one used the dash panel from Tim? how did you cut the fiberglass dash and install the aluminum panel.
    I just received mine. hate to begin cutting not knowing if I should remove the original dash or just cut windows to access the electrical etc.
    Pictures if you have any and what fasteners did you use?

Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    At a minimum I would trim out the gauge area so you can lay that open and access it from the front. I would make sure the electric panel was accessible too

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to cover mine with carbon fiber looking vinyl and use #8 socket head black screws to attach the panel to the fiberglass dash. I will use revnuts in the fbrglass. I have the openings cut in the fbrglass and sprayed machinist's bluing on the back of the panel, clamped the panel to the dash and scribed the openings. Aside from the AC outlet openings my instrument cluster and radio are rectangular so I used a oscillating saw to cut these openings in the fbrglass. That's as far as I have gotten!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kamp, suggest you consider using the rivnuts made for fiberglass and counter bore where the heads go so they are flush with or slightly below the surface then your bolt-on panel lays flush against the fiberglass dash.

https://www.mcmaster.com/97217A359
    Last edited by NAZ; 05-12-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had planned on the countersink but didn't know about the fiberglass rivnuts thanks for the steer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to do a carbon fiber wrap on mine with a rubber edging to bring it up off the fiberglass. I was afraid counter sinking the rivnut heads would make the fiberglass too thin. Is this not necessary?
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do not "countersink" the holes for the rivnuts use a COUNTERBORE. This is not simply semantics, a counterbore is a different tool. You can find them at machinist supply shops or McMaster-Carr. The dash is thick enough to counterbore the thickness of the rivnut flange so you can set it below the surface. Use the style of rivnut made for plastics not the style that came in you kit. This makes a very clean installation and anything you mount will sit flush against the dash.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

9. Thanks HVACMAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Do not "countersink" the holes for the rivnuts use a COUNTERBORE. This is not simply semantics, a counterbore is a different tool. You can find them at machinist supply shops or McMaster-Carr. The dash is thick enough to counterbore the thickness of the rivnut flange so you can set it below the surface. Use the style of rivnut made for plastics not the style that came in you kit. This makes a very clean installation and anything you mount will sit flush against the dash.
    Agree with NAZ on the counterbore, dont countersink. As to the rivnuts, they are typically quite thin so even once installed, with the curve of the fiberglass, the dash panel will still sit a bit proud.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

11. Thanks HVACMAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Thanks Naz. I have the rivnuts already. I followed your suggestion earlier and used them on the trans. tunnel install.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Happy to go over my panel attachment technique or how the panel is bent to anyone who cares to call.

Tim Whittaker
    Kootenai Valley Customs

14. Thanks HVACMAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will definitely give you a call when I get to that point.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d like to see it!
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    I’d like to see it!
    You can see a picture of the panel mounted on: kootenaivalleycustoms build page.

Tim Whittaker