Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hazzard light question

Post Thanks / Like

Hazzard light question

The 33 steering column has the hazard flasher switch and a pink wire to the "33 hot rod only" harness plug. There are two additional wires in the harness labelled hazard lights, a pink wire and a grey wire. The grey goes to the dash harness and the pink just ends by itself. With the key on I hear the flasher clicking and get intermittent power on a test light from these two wires. What should I do with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Simpler question, just why does the flasher click with the key on, and no lights or indicators are lit ?

3. Thanks JimLev thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe can't answer your question. But perhaps offer a little clarity FWIW plus questions. The hazard pink wire in the harness and the "33 hot rod only" branch are both from the same battery circuit in the fuse panel. If there's power to the panel both will have +12V at all times. They're routed through the flasher relay, so with current draw the flasher does it's thing. Almost the same for the turn signal grey wires. In the harness plus in the hot rod only branch. Both from the same circuit in the fuse panel. Also has a flasher relay. But they're on the ignition circuit. So the turn signals only are powered when the key is on.

For starters, it doesn't exactly make sense that your hazard flasher is only working with the key on. Since it's a battery circuit as already explained. Are you sure that's the one that's flashing? What is the state of your wiring? Do you have everything wired up, including switches, lights, etc.? If so, sounds like something is mis-wired somewhere. The light connections to the hazard and turn signal switches have to be exactly like shown in the Ron Francis chassis wiring schematic. Including most importantly the double pole switch on the hazard circuit. Otherwise the two circuits can backfeed and maybe that's what's happening.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Verified it is the hazard flasher, (unplugged it and the clicking stopped) does so with battery connected, key in off or on position. If you pull the knob on the steering column the lights and dash indicators light up. Does that DPST switch still need to be connected even though the wiring diagram shows the lines dotted, as in do not use ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The only difference in wiring the car is I didn't use the purple brake light wires in the rear because the LED's only have 3 wires instead of 4. All rear lights work, tail, brake, turn, hazard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmish View Post
    Verified it is the hazard flasher, (unplugged it and the clicking stopped) does so with battery connected, key in off or on position. If you pull the knob on the steering column the lights and dash indicators light up. Does that DPST switch still need to be connected even though the wiring diagram shows the lines dotted, as in do not use ?
    Sorry, this is where I'm not going to be able to help since that's a specific '33 hot rod question and I have no experience there. If the provided steering column already has a hazard switch, and it's connected via the 33 hot rod harness branch, I would not think an additional DPST hazard switch is needed. The steering column also has a turn signal stalk and internal switch? If so, seems reasonable the connections should all be proper after plugging in the hot road harness branch.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmish View Post
    The only difference in wiring the car is I didn't use the purple brake light wires in the rear because the LED's only have 3 wires instead of 4. All rear lights work, tail, brake, turn, hazard.
    That's a little strange to me because the purple wires in the rear harness is where the +12V is coming from for the brake lights. But yet the brake lights are working. So you have some kind of module maybe? Seems to me that purple wire has to be attached to something somewhere. Sorry, again out of my wheelhouse.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-13-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    FF, I think, gave instructions on hooking up the LED 3 wire setup by not using the purple wires. Like you say, it works so that seems ok. Instructions said remove flashers installed in the fuseblock and install supplied LED flashers, with separate ground wire. Did that. gotta do more research. Thanks Edwardb for the help anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, with the LED tail lights the purple wires aren't used.
    The IDIDIT steering column has the a turn signal switch and hazard flasher switch in it, so the toggle switches aren't used.
    I'll look at the other wires and schematic tomorrow.
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-14-2019 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

10. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neither the Pink or the Gray wires are used if you have the IDIDIT steering column.
    Without the IDIDIT the pink would go to the toggle switch for the hazard lights.
    The gray would go the toggle switch for the turn signals.
    I don't know why your flashers are clicking, when I turn the key on mine don't.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks JimLev. will keep on trying to figure it out.