Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Airflow around footbox into cab - how to seal?

Post Thanks / Like

Airflow around footbox into cab - how to seal?

Short of removing the body, I'm just wondering what others have done to seal off the the voids between the aluminum panels and the fiberglass body to prevent heat from getting into the cabin from the air flowing past the headers/sidepipes and into the cabin?

I am not talking about the heat "through" the footbox panels. I'm talking about the air flow around the aluminum footbox area between the side of the car body.

Depending on the spot it varies between almost 2" to a small gap and without removing the body it seems like it would be difficult to seal the gap.

Driving at about 60 mph there is a tremendous amount of very warm air coming into the cabin which if I put my hand between the frame and fiberglass I can feel is coming in.

That was fine during the winter driving when a bit of extra heat didn't matter but now that we're getting to the hot summer months it's making it overly warm in the cab.

Just wondering if anyone else has tackled this issue on an already finished car and if so, how you solved it?

Post Thanks / Like
    The kit includes expanding foam and the instruction manual shows installing right before the body is installed for the last time. But common that the step is missed or another method is used instead. Some options in these threads, and can be done on a completed car:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-past-the-dash

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...-firewall.html
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edward. That's exactly what I was looking for. Found some good ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't convinced the kit foam would work, so I removed the front elephant ears for easy access, and with a stick, shoved prieces of pretty stiff foam into all the cracks. Works perfect, not any hot air coming in.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pool noodles are the bomb, IMO.