Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Time for new tires, need suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Time for new tires, need suggestions

The time has come to put new shoes on my rims. My NT555s have aged out (mfg 2013) and lost the traction I knew when they were new. I drive on wet pavement now and then so I want tires that have traction in the wet conditions as well as dry. I think that eliminates the R and Drag type treads. The Nitto Invo seems like a better choice than the NT555s on paper but there are other brands that may be as good or better. Comments please.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    The Invo doesn't seem to be available in sizes that are compatible with your 17" FFR Halibrand copy wheels. From what I've seen and heard from owners I think the newer design Nitto 555G2 is a pretty good all around street tire---decent dry performance that can tolerate cool and/or wet. Another candidate for dry/cool/wet conditions is the Goodyear Eagle F1 but you'd have to use 275/40-17 in front (and make sure you're sitting down when you price them!). I had a car in recently with Mickey Thompson Street Comps; although I haven't seen or heard reports from anyone with long term experience with them on our cars they looked as if they'd be comparable to the 555G2.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The Invo doesn't seem to be available in sizes that are compatible with your 17" FFR Halibrand copy wheels.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    Thanks for the suggestions. Summit does list Nitto Invo in size 245/45R17. If that size is really available, would you consider it?
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    How about Toyo R888s?

See this recent thread on the other forum

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...-slippery.html
    Steve

FFR #8305; IRS, 347; T5 Trans; EFI, 3.27 Rear; 17x9" Front; 17x10.5" Rear
    Paint - Ford Magnetic Metallic Gray (J7) with Black Stripes; Painted by "da Bat"
    Complete Kit Delivered 05/15/2014; Titled and Registered 4/14/2017 as a 1965!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Summit does list Nitto Invo in size 245/45R17. If that size is really available, would you consider it?
    No way a 245 will work on your 10" rear rims (for that matter I feel that 245s are a little stretched on 9" front rims).

Quote Originally Posted by swwebb View Post
    How about Toyo R888s?
    R888s and the new R888R are not cold or wet friendly.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're travelling in the car and can't control the weather the Goodyear GS-D3s are the best rain tire I've ever run, real good dry too and I've run them on the track and was happy. But as Jeff indicated the price will just about stop your heart at ~ $1,600/set.

Michelin PS2s are also excellent and available in a wide variety of sizes. The price is similar to the Goodyears.

I've also run Sumitomo HTR Z http://www.sumitomotire.com/Tires?linename=HTR%20Z
    Not a bad tire, just not great. Fairly inexpensive, cheap actually.

Also ran Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas. But these have been discontinued and there are no suitable replacements in their line.

I may consider the Nitto 555G2 as a street tire. Wish they had a 335/35-17. Leaning toward PS2s, a great all around tire.

I tend to get wet and not generally smart enough to come in out of the rain so wet performance is important to me, also travel long distances. Some of the available tires will not do well in the rain, scary would be just the beginning. The R888s may fall into this category.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the inputs. I have looked at the options and think the Nitto 555 G2 is my better value. The Nitto Invo peaked my interest because of the quieter tread design and a AA traction rating. And thanks Jeff for pointing out the 315/35R17 size wasn't available. I wasn't thinking of putting the 245/45R17 on the rear, just hadn't gotten far enough down the size chart to figure out the 315s were the ones missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    No way a 245 will work on your 10" rear rims (for that matter I feel that 245s are a little stretched on 9" front rims).

Jeff
    So, if you think the 245s are a little stretched on the fronts, what's a better size? I think that was the size recommended by FFR. I don't have any clearance issues with fender or frame now and no turning stops on the rack so I get full travel there. I don't want to blindly change tire size and then realize something else has to change also.
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Thanks all for the inputs. I have looked at the options and think the Nitto 555 G2 is my better value. The Nitto Invo peaked my interest because of the quieter tread design and a AA traction rating. And thanks Jeff for pointing out the 315/35R17 size wasn't available. I wasn't thinking of putting the 245/45R17 on the rear, just hadn't gotten far enough down the size chart to figure out the 315s were the ones missing.

So, if you think the 245s are a little stretched on the fronts, what's a better size? I think that was the size recommended by FFR. I don't have any clearance issues with fender or frame now and no turning stops on the rack so I get full travel there. I don't want to blindly change tire size and then realize something else has to change also.
    I prefer 255/40 rather than 245/45. Depending on manufacturer they are generally about .5" shorter (which doesn't really matter one way or the other) but .7-.8" more in section width which I feel fits a 9"rim better. No other changes are necessary unless you have some unusual circumstances due to the tilt nose.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Love my Toyo R888R tires for grip when warm and dry, just not good for the wet.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m also going with the Nitto NT555 G2 tires. If you look at the specs you’ll see the 275/40ZR17 are a better match for the 9” Front paired with the 315/35ZR17 on the rear, with a matched 25.67” diameter.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.