Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 8.8" Rear with brake calipers on the back side instead of facing the front of the car

Post Thanks / Like

8.8" Rear with brake calipers on the back side instead of facing the front of the car

I got this rear from a site on eBay. (Every thing has been replaced with new.) I noticed from my pictures from the build school and from the manual that the calipers are facing the front of the car just opposite of what I have.
    100_2142.JPG100_2143.JPG

I am wondering if there will be a clearance problem after the body is placed on the frame. Dose anybody else have the calipers this way?

Also looking at this picture 100_2144.JPG notice that what came with the axle has the brake line routing to the front around the shock. That is all good by me. But now I have to find the proper hardware to connect to the 3/16" brake line as it is already has the banjo joint occupied. What was connected to that line was a 3/16" line which connected both calipers to a center fitting with a flex hose mounter over the differential. That had a banjo fitting on the end of the flex hose. Any suggestions of what fittings and brake lines I would need to connect to my brake line?

Thanks in advance
    Cliff
    '33 Hot Rod Chassis #1118, Gen 2, hard top, bike fenders, AC, electric steering. BluePrint Engines Chevy 383 Fuel Injected with the 700R4 transmission 8.8" rear 3.55.

Post Thanks / Like
    The issue is with the reach of the emergency brake cables that come with some kits. Not sure what your circumstances are but with my 2009 kit we had to mount them in reverse, forward, so the e brake cables could route properly. This is just a recommendation but I would also ensure that the tubes were welded to the third member. The spot welds alone are prone to fail resulting in a twisted tube that can be catastrophic.

IMG_1665.jpgeBrake-19.jpg

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Second the recommendation on welding the axle tubes to the cast housing but be advised, there is a correct method for doing this and then there are other methods that may or may not prove successful. Not very many welders have experience welding cast steel to carbon steel and I've seen all sorts of methods and processes used. I made my living welding and have a great deal of experience welding cast iron and cast steel. If you go this route, find a shop that has experience with cast steel, uses the TIG process and 99% nickle filler. If you click on my build album, among the first photos I posted there is the process for welding the axle tubes to the housing.

As for the location of your calipers, I prefer mounting them toward the middle of the car if all things are equal as this reduces polar moment. But as a racer I'm anal about weight -- less is better and where it's placed makes a difference. For a street car, not so much. As wrp mentioned, the brake cables (length and routing) may pose a challenge and you may have to trim the fender well for clearance. Nothing too serious. One piece of advice using banjo fittings (hate these things) is be careful using them with flex hose. They really need a hose support to keep the flexing from trying to rotate the banjo fitting and loosening it.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered mine online like you. Perhaps from the same vendor. The calipers are mounted to the rear like yours and I haven't found a reason to change them. It did take a little research for fittings but most things do on these cars. especially when you deviate from the norm. IMG_0616.jpgIMG_0630.JPGIMG_0642.jpgIMG_0878.JPGIMG_0920.JPG
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    I ordered mine online like you. Perhaps from the same vendor. The calipers are mounted to the rear like yours and I haven't found a reason to change them. It did take a little research for fittings but most things do on these cars. especially when you deviate from the norm. IMG_0616.jpgIMG_0630.JPGIMG_0642.jpgIMG_0878.JPGIMG_0920.JPG
    Looks like the same as mine. From the "T" fitting on the axle to the frame, what flex cable and what fitting on the frame did you use?
    Did you have the body on the frame after installing the axle?

Thanks
    '33 Hot Rod Chassis #1118, Gen 2, hard top, bike fenders, AC, electric steering. BluePrint Engines Chevy 383 Fuel Injected with the 700R4 transmission 8.8" rear 3.55.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could you guys possibly run Ford Ranger/Explorer rear brakes instead?
    The rotors are larger (11.21") and the parking brake cables are way easier to route.
    Also, the parking brake is a shoe style that is inside a Top-Hat style rotor.
    I went that route because I wanted the larger rear brakes without going to higher end parts.
    Both calipers are located in front of the axle.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-13-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I already have the calipers and I just figured out what I need to make them work like HVACMAN did. I should have the parts tomorrow. About the e-brake, That will not be a problem either. I'll make something like this =|-------o to extend the length of what I have or switch to electric e-brakes brakes.

When I get the parts tomorrow I'll give you all a better description.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by colsen23153 View Post
    Looks like the same as mine. From the "T" fitting on the axle to the frame, what flex cable and what fitting on the frame did you use?
    Did you have the body on the frame after installing the axle?

Thanks
    I will see if I can find the receipt. It's been two years. It probably came from Summit or Amazon. If I remember correctly, I installed the bracket and tee on the frame. Piped the steel lines to it. Then measured from tee to tee with the axle at full droop.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Could you guys possibly run Ford Ranger/Explorer rear brakes instead?
    The rotors are larger (11.21") and the parking brake cables are way easier to route.
    Also, the parking brake is a shoe style that is inside a Top-Hat style rotor.
    I went that route because I wanted the larger rear brakes without going to higher end parts.
    Both calipers are located in front of the axle.
    These axles have the 94-04 Cobra 11.65 brakes. No need to upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will see if I can find the receipt. It's been two years. It probably came from Summit or Amazon. If I remember correctly, I installed the bracket and tee on the frame. Piped the steel lines to it. Then measured from tee to tee with the axle at full droop.
    My son is a Master Mechanic and he looked at my situation with the rear brakes and also looking at the pictures you provided. He came up with a Napa part # 36765. It looks exactly like you have and will work fine. That # is for a late GM pick up truck.

To mate this to the 3/16" brake line you need an adapter from Napa G49505-0403.

I get a chance to put another GM part on my car!
    Last edited by colsen23153; 05-15-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added part #'s

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So I got my 8.8 from an '07 GT. Looking at swapping the brackets L/R to move the calipers to the front of the housing... Do the axles have to come out to remove the brackets, or can the brackets just rotate around and bolt back in place?
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Two questions.
    1) where did you find the bracket for the differential center hose?
    2) How did route the brake line to rear flex hose?

i was planning on taking my brake line across the rear frame just above and behind the differential. I found flex hose with all 3/8 Inverted Flare Fittings, but no bracket since its not vehicle specific. All the ford rear brake hoses i find with brakets have a banjo fitting at the other end of the hose.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a non issue.

My calipers mount on the back of the axle as well. I used these brake cables and they routed perfectly. The only thing I had to do was go get an E clip to attach them to the housing.

The brake line with t fitting is ac delco 18J2064
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sethmark; 09-24-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgi56 View Post
    Two questions.
    1) where did you find the bracket for the differential center hose?
    2) How did route the brake line to rear flex hose?

i was planning on taking my brake line across the rear frame just above and behind the differential. I found flex hose with all 3/8 Inverted Flare Fittings, but no bracket since its not vehicle specific. All the ford rear brake hoses i find with brakets have a banjo fitting at the other end of the hose.

Thanks in advance.
    All the parts came from Amazon and Summit. I just looked until I found what I thought would work. IMG_0918.JPGIMG_0919.JPGIMG_0920.JPGThe hard lines were on the axle when I received it.