Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FIA side pipes

Post Thanks / Like

FIA side pipes

Some questions to anyone who has installed the FIA side pipes.

I found the bolts and nuts for the J pipe to the shortie header to be extremely difficult to get to thread on. Should they be this tight when installing?

Once these are on, is there a reference for lining up the side pipe to a reasonably approximate position if the body is not on?

Would copper RTV be the best choice to seal all the joints, or would gaskets work better?
    Thanks.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    They may be Stover nuts, to ensure they never back off. They can be a bit of work to thread on, (and off).

Copper RTV appears to be a very popular choice these days. Many builders prefer it over gaskets.

I just used the frame, along side the footbox and cockpit, as a guide for the pipe line up initially. You can still easily see if there is a droop, or if a side pipe is angled out/in, and if any adjustment is going to be needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill. I was just a bit surprised at exactly how stiff the resistance was on these nuts and bolts. I checked with FFR, and they said that there should be some resistance, but that they should thread on with some resistance. Unfortunately, they didn't have any gems of knowledge regarding the initial line up of the side pipes without the body being installed. I knew that would be necessary to get the final position, but I think I'll use your suggestion to get an initial placement so that I can have them in place in anticipation of a first start hopefully next month, depending on my work schedule.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rick, I jettisoned the Stover nuts not because they don't work but because the are just a hassle to take on and off. The FIA side pipes, or at least mine, went off and on several times during the process and I just got tired of fighting with the originals. In the end, I used a locking type fastener. It might have been Stage 8 but I do not recall. If you are interested let me know and I will look it up. In terms of alignment, I did the final adjustment after the body was in its final position then attached the interior hanger. Mine are not exact side to side but the difference is not noticeable. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel, thanks for your input. I was hoping one of the FIA builders would respond. I couldn't figure why the nuts would tighten down to a certain point, and then I couldn't move them. I know I'm loosing strength as I get older, but this was ridiculous. It turned out that the nuts were bottoming out before they tightened the joint. I put about a 1/4" of washer on, and was able to tighten down enough that when I put the side pipe in place, with no hanger, the J pipe was able to support it.
    I'm going to look into some different nuts for that spot to make it easier to take on and off, and maybe go back to the stover nuts for final assembly. If you have the info on what you used available, I'd definitely be interested. Don't go crazy looking for it if you can't find it, and no rush either. This glacier is not moving that fast!
    By the way, did you use copper RTV at the J pipe to header joint? Do you think I could get away without it to get to first start?
    Thanks again.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rick, I will use RTV between the J pipe and the side pipe flange on final assembly but not between the J pipe and the header. Yes, you can get away with nothing on the initial start. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joel.
    Rick