FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A Big Shout Out To "Taco Joe" For Putting This Little Video Together!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A Big Shout Out To "Taco Joe" For Putting This Little Video Together!

Hey Gang,

If you haven't seen "Taco Joe's" video you just might want to tune in.

https://youtu.be/F99U1qCUUPE

All I can say is: Way To Go Taco Joe or Way To Geaux Tako Jeaux (Louisiana Version)

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a great video

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video. Thanks for making Joe and for posting Steve.

I like data and have some scales. I have weighed my MK4 at 2468 and the Gen 2 Coyote advertises 435hp (I believe I have slightly more due to the tune but can't conclusively say that) for a 5.67lb/hp.
    I have also weighed my 2018 Porsche 911S at 3325 with 420 HP (Porsche is known to under report actual HP so I believe it has a little more) for a ratio of 7.91lb/hp.

The thing that is hard to quantify is traction vs time lost. I can put the 911 in Sport + mode and engage the launch control, hold the brake, full throttle, release the brake and it will hook up perfect every time with a reported 0-60 of 3.9. The Cobra is certainly capable of faster IF you can get it to hook up. Under everyday driving conditions the 911 probably wins 8 out of 10.

Doesn't really matter as it is all hypothetical anyways but it is fun to compare the numbers.
    I will tell you which of my cars won't be winning any races and that is the 1979 911 at 2892 lbs and 180Hp (when it was new 40 years ago!) for 16.07 lbs/hp! haha Funny thing is that one is the most engaging to drive on the roads because you can exercise it through all 4 gears without being at go to jail speeds!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Tires, chassis set up along with a proper driver can make the cobra like any car incredibly fast. This is because it’s more about getting power to the ground then holding it back to prevent wheel spin. These new vs old comparisons always make me laugh. The whole point of owning a cobra to me is that it’s a very involved expierence where the results are more related to the driver then car. I have 645 hp and 655 ft lb (dyno certified by Craft Racing) and if I want I can make it hook in 2nd with the loud pedal on the floor and there are very few cars that can keep up or pull on it when I’m all in. But then I can fry the tires if the loud pedal isn’t applied properly. One thing to the Porsche is the PDK like other higher end sports cars electronic shifting for going fast is awesome. How ever for me when there is no money on the line I’ll take the old school stick and ball as I love a good challenge. I have plenty of fun on track with many cars Porsche’s included as a driving instructor. But at the end of the day there’s just something about these cars that put a grin on my face the size of Texas, that no other car has yet to do no matter how fast or slow I may be going.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 05-14-2019 at 08:05 PM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post

I like data and have some scales. I have weighed my MK4 at 2468 and the Gen 2 Coyote advertises 435hp (I believe I have slightly more due to the tune but can't conclusively say that) for a 5.67lb/hp.
    I have also weighed my 2018 Porsche 911S at 3325 with 420 HP (Porsche is known to under report actual HP so I believe it has a little more) for a ratio of 7.91lb/hp.

The thing that is hard to quantify is traction vs time lost. I can put the 911 in Sport + mode and engage the launch control, hold the brake, full throttle, release the brake and it will hook up perfect every time with a reported 0-60 of 3.9. The Cobra is certainly capable of faster IF you can get it to hook up. Under everyday driving conditions the 911 probably wins 8 out of 10.
    I'm with you.

The 911's were always "fun" to drive (not that I got to do that often).

0-60 @ 3.9 is fun (absolutely).

0-60 @ 3.5 is more fun (but requires considerable practice - lacking launch control / traction control on "street tires" / depends n the surface texture of the asphalt largely,and driver "nuances" I think).

You can do better if you can control "hook up", it takes a lot of practice and 4.0 second 0-60 are always going to be easier (and more common) in these cars than sub 3.5 0-60 times (on "street" tires).

It's something I practice every chance I get (safe).