Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Plastic fuel tank cover

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic fuel tank cover

Took delivery of my complete kit on 1-19-20 and am through the inventory. Couple of questions, perhaps for those that also received recently. I believe there are only two missing items, the plastic fuel tank cover and the power steering rack mounting hardware. Did you find the mounting hardware? Is the plastic tank cover still provided? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked one up Tuesday and my cover was backordered as well. Havent looked at the steering yet.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi yahrt
    I just received my roadster kit on Jan 2. It too was missing the plastic tank cover and it's on my POL. No ETA yet on it. I also had a hard time finding the power steering rack mounting hardware. I was finally able to find it with help from FFR.

FFR response:
    The mounting hardware consists of nuts and bolts and spacers from Box 1 and there should have been 4 new polyurethane bushings with your power steering rack. If not, please advise and will add to the MIK.

I was able to find them in a bag inside another bag that contained the steering pillow block, support bearing and other pieces, etc. They're zinc plated ~4" bolts with nylock nuts. Some shims should be in there too.

Good luck!
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Your inventory list is your best friend when trying to locate fasteners. For the most part the bags are numbered good and that helps.

I'm missing the cover as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious about the question. You said your inventory was complete. Yet you're asking if the fuel tank cover is still provided. Every single nut, bolt, screw, washer, etc. is on the box-by-box inventory listings. Which you should have been using to check things off as you did the inventory. The tank cover is part number 14470, and should be on the fuel tank components box listing. It's either checked off as shipped or it's on the POL as a shortage. Shouldn't be any doubt about whether it supplied or not, unless it's missing from both sheets. Same explanation for the power steering hardware.

x2 on the comment about the inventory listing being your best friend to find things. I put the sheets in a binder and use them throughout the build. As POL items show up, I put them in the box where they were originally supposed to be and mark off on the listings. The pages end up pretty dog-eared by the end of the build. But worth it. Also agree sometimes parts are not in the most logical places. But I still leave them were documented and confirmed by the inventory. That way I can find them when it's time. Staying organized, especially at first when there are a bunch of parts, and also especially for new builders, is key IMO.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-19-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the inventory is complete and both of those parts are absent from both the inventory list and the POL list. That is why wondering if the fuel tank cover is still provided. Looks like they forgot the power steering mounting bushings and cover, no big deal, I'll get in touch with FF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yahrt View Post
    Yes, the inventory is complete and both of those parts are absent from both the inventory list and the POL list. That is why wondering if the fuel tank cover is still provided. Looks like they forgot the power steering mounting bushings and cover, no big deal, I'll get in touch with FF.
    Got it. Yeah, that happens too. They've always worked with me to resolve.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.