Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Hi from Canada!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi from Canada!

Planning on getting a GTM or waiting to see how the new GTF will look. I have zero idea of what I am doing when it comes to building a car from the ground up so I will be following a lot of builds closely, as well as planning costs.

Erio

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome fellow Canadian!
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

3. Likes CanadianEzE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, I would do a good job looking for insurance, It was almost impossible for me to get insurance for my 818, 45 years old with perfect record, and the only option I could get was facility insurance and it is 200 a month! a lot of companies are washing they hands of insurance on kit cars.

5. Thanks CanadianEzE thanked for this post
    Likes CanadianEzE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    Welcome, I would do a good job looking for insurance, It was almost impossible for me to get insurance for my 818, 45 years old with perfect record, and the only option I could get was facility insurance and it is 200 a month! a lot of companies are washing they hands of insurance on kit cars.
    Totally agree. We have a Type-65 and had to jump through hoops for insurance. I have a 5000KM a year policy that stipulates the car can't be used for anything but exhibition and pleasure driving. Even with that limited policy I had to produce a mechanics certificate etc so that they would rubber stamp me as good. It seems to change based on model as well, the 818 or the GTM/F are 'modern' as opposed to a replica that some insurance companies have some wiggle room on. Do your research.......
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

7. Thanks CanadianEzE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Not intending to rain on your parade as building one of the Factory Five kits is a TON of FUN! The GTM is the most difficult of all the models. If you look at the build threads, a lot go on for years with many challenges. That may be what you want and are up for it, just go in eyes wide open.

One of your best resources, if you haven't already discovered, is Ryan Valin in Ontario. Ryan helps with the completion parts needed for Canadian kits and has a lot of experience building many models.
    https://www.facebook.com/valinscustomcars/

Good luck!
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

9. Thanks CanadianEzE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't think insurance would be that difficult to obtain, but im guessing it's going to be extra hard for a 25 year old lol.

I'm anticipating this build being very difficult and I'm not looking to get it done in a certain time frame. I feel like building a car from the ground up is the best way to understand how all the components work and I don't want to rush it at all.

Thanks again for the heads up and tips and looking forward to talking more with all of you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome,
    Insurance varies all across our country. I'm in BC and, after building 3 kits, have had no problems on insurance. In fact, it is cheaper than my daily driver and if you word he documents properly (properly and carefully, not illegally) you can have it registered as a 1965 and be eligible for Collector plates making insurance even cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a chat with your current insurance broker. Most have no idea what these cars are about and the reflex answer is mostly no. Canadian insurance is a challenge and it varies between provinces, insurers and mostly on the level of knowledge and commitment your broker is willing to put in to find you affordable coverage. Our broker said it can not be your sole vehicle to drive to work and finding seasonal coverage is tough since you won't want to be driving in the cold months. Have a private chat with some of the guys online from your province to see what they have. I don't have mine on the road yet, so I'm not much help. Here's a link that appears pretty discouraging on what some insurers cover. http://www.torontospecialtycars.com/...companies.html Here's one that's bit more promising: https://huroniainsurance.com/auto/collector-vehicle/
    Last edited by CNIdog; 06-09-2020 at 05:07 PM. Reason: add data

Post Thanks / Like
    CNIdog's experience is not what is in all of Canada. BTW, CNIdog, your avatar is gorgeous!

CanadianEzE, where in Canada are you located? Letting us know this can simplify the responses you get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a PM
    Team Bouffard
    GenII #369 - SOLD
    1968 Camaro - work in progress