FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An exhausting question

Post Thanks / Like

An exhausting question

I'm not crazy about the location of the muffler on the 35 Pickup. I know Tom Wallace did a custom exhaust, but I would like to use what I was given to keep cost down.
    If I use the present design, along with the ceramic coating on the underside of the sheet metal. can I wrap the muffler and keep the heat down to an acceptable level?

Or I could move the muffler back by having an extension made after the second pipe from the engine. Not much room for a muffler back there. Might not fit unless I use
    another model of muffler.

Then I'm back to a custom setup again. Sigh...

Any ideas that folks have on this?
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you ken, I’m not happy either sitting on top of a muffler. I used some sticky aluminum heat shield on the bottom side of the floor pan I got from summit. And using the heat shield that came with the kit on the inside and going to roll with it. IMO the best solution is to move the muffler towards the rear however I chose the e stopp e brake to spend my money on. The kit mufflers sound pretty good. You could wrap them but idk IMO it’s not a long term solution but I’m no expert on wraps either. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have made a heat shield out of aluminum on the 33 kits I built above the mufflers that works OK. Floor still will get hot though.

Post Thanks / Like
    eastwoo0d makes a heat resistant paint for inside of poipes and should work on mufflers
    I got several rods and customs and run live sidepipes and can touch them so it must work
    I may have to get my pipe bender going to make rear pipes for my pickup
    also I have run stainless mufflers on other cars and broke the ends off them and rewelded them several time finally replaced them , stainless can b e disappointing sometimes
    replaced them with tin mufflers and they are doing good
    JMHO muffler shop owner and muffler manufacturer 21 years

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the newer kits have foam board sandwiched between aluminum under the cab, maybe this FF's attempt at fixing this issue.

Check out Damn Yankees build thread its on his kit.
    Last edited by Jwheels; 05-16-2019 at 01:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that doesn't help you guys out, but maybe you can come up with something similar on the cheap. Might be a PITA on a finished truck though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to use what I have. I can't make room behind the cab for the muffler with an extension. So... I'll try Tom's suggestion and will live with it and do a custom exhaust if necessary after.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken, this is what I did on my 33, it really cut the heat down. I also wrapped all the pipes too.
    See post 240.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-s-Build/page6
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Ken, this is what I did on my 33, it really cut the heat down. I also wrapped all the pipes too.
    See post 240.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-s-Build/page6
    Jim,
    My mufflers are about 13 long by 9 1/2 wide. Are these the same size as yours?
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken, yes same size. Make sure you get long enough stainless straps to wrap around the mufflers.
    I think I found the longer straps on eBay or Amazon, don't remember which.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    So here's what I did. I didn't wrap the mufflers, but on the interior of the cab I have the foil-backed sticky stuff FFR gives you. Then I bought a 1/4 closed cell foam pad from Dynamat. Then I have carpet. So the sandwich goes like this top to bottom:

Carpet
    1/4" Foam - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dyc-11102/overview/
    1/8" Sticky rubber metal stuff - a la this - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14620?rrec=true
    Sheet Metal
    Muffler.

We'll see how it is. after a full warm up and a couple miles around the neighborhood the carpet is the same temp as when I started. I can always pull the muffler later and wrap it.