Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: What to order..

Post Thanks / Like

What to order..

Sooooo.. Good News Everyone! I sold my 69 Mustang today, and the significance of that is that i am now taking the plunge, Wohooo!
    Looking at the order form, i have some questions for you the Masters of all things FFR.

Some info: I am planning a 300 hp 302, Tremec 500 or 600 with hydraulic clutch, IRS, Swaybars in both ends, PS and PB.
    Now, 300 hp will not make it the baddest beast on the road, but it will be plenty for me. Besides, its max of what is allowed over here, so i really have no choice....
    I want a well handling, great stopping, nimble and somewhat comfortable roadster.

I was thinking of getting the Wilwood upgraded brakes, but not really sure if i need them. On the ordering form there are listed two other options: #16237 IRS 13" rear brake kit, and #16765 IRS 11.65" rear brakes. Are these two different options in addition to the Wilwoods or am i missing something here???
    Also, would you say the Wilwoods are worth the extra expense if they are within budget?

I am also thinking of going with the double adjustable Konis. According to the video, they have dual tubes, which is supposed to make the ride less harsh. (Important in rural Norway) Is this true to a noticeable degree, and would i even need dual adjustable shocks for a car that will most likely never hit the tracks?

When you mark off for the "Power steering kit", i assume that means you get the PS rack?

I am getting the Breeze roll bar, so i assume the FFR grommets won't work?

Any other tips for the ordering process is of course greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are building a street car with PB I’m not sure you would need the Wildwood upgrade unless you just want to spend the extra money. I have the stock manual brakes with upgraded pads and I think they work very well for the street

Here are some of the things I added but everyone has there own list of upgrades
    Breeze cowl cover, fan shroud, and lower radiator mount
    Fortes mechanical throttle
    TKO mid shift kit
    Drive shaft safety loop
    Heat and maybe heated seats for Norway
    Russ Thompson turn signals
    Extra carpet

Good luck with your build

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the stock brakes and feel it is adequate (with hawk pads) for normal street driving, but if its in budget, I'd upgrade to the Wilwoods.
    No idea on the shocks, but there is another recent thread about swapping out springs for a softer ride, but IRS might be plenty.
    Power steering option should include the PS rack.
    Correct on the roll bar grommets - you can get ones that fit the breeze roll bar from Mike Everson at replicaparts.com
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    If you are building a street car with PB I’m not sure you would need the Wildwood upgrade unless you just want to spend the extra money. I have the stock manual brakes with upgraded pads and I think they work very well for the street

Here are some of the things I added but everyone has there own list of upgrades
    Breeze cowl cover, fan shroud, and lower radiator mount
    Fortes mechanical throttle
    TKO mid shift kit
    Drive shaft safety loop
    Heat and maybe heated seats for Norway
    Russ Thompson turn signals
    Extra carpet

Good luck with your build

Rick

Breeze cowl cover, fan shroud, and lower radiator mount : in the plan
    Fortes mechanical throttle : Got it already
    TKO mid shift kit : kinda want the original look, is the stock position very awkward?
    Drive shaft safety loop : for only 300 hp, is it really needed?
    Heat and maybe heated seats for Norway : You are absolutely correct, Got it already
    Russ Thompson turn signals : In the plan.
    Extra carpet : Is there more needed than what comes with the kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion, which won't be popular with some, is that unless you are doing serious track work with the car the Wilwoods are kind of like jewelry and only needed for bragging rights (just like 500 horsepower). The standard Mustang derived brakes will generate more stopping power than your tires will have traction.

Jeff

6. Likes WIS89 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    I have the stock brakes and feel it is adequate (with hawk pads) for normal street driving, but if its in budget, I'd upgrade to the Wilwoods.
    No idea on the shocks, but there is another recent thread about swapping out springs for a softer ride, but IRS might be plenty.
    Correct on the roll bar grommets - you can get ones that fit the breeze roll bar from Mike Everson at replicaparts.com
    I think i will go with the Wilwoods, i don't want to leave them out and regret it later. The extra cost is soon forgotten...
    With regards to the power steering, i was advised by a fellow Norwegian that the FFR rack is only a little more than two turns lock to lock, and that i probably would be more satisfied with one from Breeze for daily driving.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    My opinion, which won't be popular with some, is that unless you are doing serious track work with the car the Wilwoods are kind of like jewelry and only needed for bragging rights (just like 500 horsepower). The standard Mustang derived brakes will generate more stopping power than your tires will have traction.

Jeff
    I'm on board with Jeff-Ski, but am running Ford Explorer/Ranger rears since they are larger than the Mustang bits, but I've got the solid axle.
    If your IRS rotors are larger that the stock Mustang parts, then you might want to upgrade the front set up to the Mustang Cobra brakes.
    This would upgrade the brakes and still allow you to buy brake parts at your local auto parts store down the road.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-16-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
    Breeze cowl cover, fan shroud, and lower radiator mount : in the plan
    Fortes mechanical throttle : Got it already
    TKO mid shift kit : kinda want the original look, is the stock position very awkward?
    Drive shaft safety loop : for only 300 hp, is it really needed?
    Heat and maybe heated seats for Norway : You are absolutely correct, Got it already
    Russ Thompson turn signals : In the plan.
    Extra carpet : Is there more needed than what comes with the kit?
    I think the stock position shifter is fine. It looks much more awkward than it feels.

I cant recall of the rack is a 2.5 or 3 turn lock to lock, but its definitely more than 2.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    Ditto. Additional brakes are an additional expense that is not necessary. They do look cool though.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    I have 500HP and Wilwoods. Are you saying that I am compensating for something?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    I have 500HP and Wilwoods. Are you saying that I am compensating for something?
    I Have Small Feet Too Compared To My Brother's Size 15's!

Check Them Out In The Attached Video, Our Feet That Is!

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

God I Love This Forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    The extra piece of carpet from FFR will give you enough to carpet the trunk and have some extra for the interior

I cut my own carpet pieces for the door sills, cut edges butt well on inside corners, outside corners need to be wrapped to look correct

I’m not sure about the original dog leg shifter, I just liked the feel of the straight shifter using the mid shift kit

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    The extra piece of carpet from FFR will give you enough to carpet the trunk and have some extra for the interior

I cut my own carpet pieces for the door sills, cut edges butt well on inside corners, outside corners need to be wrapped to look correct

I’m not sure about the original dog leg shifter, I just liked the feel of the straight shifter using the mid shift kit

Rick

Thanks Rick, I think I will take your advice and order som extra carpet.

Øystein.

Post Thanks / Like
    With regards to the power steering, i was advised by a fellow Norwegian that the FFR rack is only a little more than two turns lock to lock, and that i probably would be more satisfied with one from Breeze for daily driving.
    Unfortunately Mark at Breeze isn't selling the Unisteer PS rack any longer. Too bad. It was a nice middle of the road product between the local part store remans and the high end ones like Flaming River, AGR, etc. I bought several from him.

One other comment regarding the TKO and shifter location. The mid-shift option is certainly one way to go. But the TKO does allow the rear shifter location to be flipped around and with the right shift handle, is a decent comprimise between the mid-shift straight-up shifter and the more traditional forward pointing shifter. I've done this on a couple builds and it works fine. The motion is mostly front to back and very easy to get used to.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

God I Love This Forum!
    GoDadGo - you made me LOL with this! Thanks for making the internet a better place.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    So if i am planning for the Breeze roll bar, theres no sense in ordering the factory roll bar grommets and hardware then, or do the Breeze grommets use the FFR trim ring and hardware?

Post Thanks / Like
    So if i am planning for the Breeze roll bar, theres no sense in ordering the factory roll bar grommets and hardware then, or do the Breeze grommets use the FFR trim ring and hardware?
    Breeze roll bars are larger diameter... use the Breeze specific grommet / trim from Mike Everson @ replicaparts.com...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Breeze roll bars are larger diameter... use the Breeze specific grommet / trim from Mike Everson @ replicaparts.com...
    Yes, I see now that they come with trim rings also. I got tired of procrastinating, so I went ahead and ordered the kit today. Feels exhilirating and scary at the same time. I think it's going to be one hell of a ride, both during the build, and afterwards.

20. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Ordering is def an exciting time, so is standing in the front yard waiting for that truck to come around the corner.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Congratulations! Ordering is def an exciting time, so is standing in the front yard waiting for that truck to come around the corner.

Thank you very much! Yes it is very exciting, although in my case I would be waiting for the boat... Nah, I will have to pick it up at the shipping agent once it gets here, probably takes a month after the kit is finished....